PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Installation with Vista - Please Help!!

Bobster4321
29-06-2007, 15:44
Hi,

I had VM Broadband installed yesterday, and am trying to set it up on my Laptop (which runs on Vista). I have plugged the modem straight into my ethernet port, and am not using a wireless router.

Because I run Vista, the VM Installation Software CD will not work, and I have to use the autoreg.autoregister page. (I have the codes and the serial no's etc...)

When I try to use this page, sometimes it will work and take me a few steps through the process before i get a "webpage unavailable" screen; other times it just won't connect to it at all. I have still not managed to get to the end of the process without it cutting out. It's also extremely slow going!

Please can anyone offer any help to me? I have phoned VM who were quite helpful, up to the point that my credit ran out (30 mins!). I don't really want to spend that amount again getting back to the point where I was cut off.

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me! Thanks!

Stuart
29-06-2007, 16:10
:welcome: to the forum.

How are you connected to the internet? Cable Modem, Set Top Box or ADSL modem?

Bobster4321
29-06-2007, 16:23
Thanks for the reply, it's a Cable Modem

Stuart
29-06-2007, 16:59
As your PC is connected via Ethernet, as far as I know, you do not need the CD. Just unplug the modem from the mains for about 30 seconds, shutdown the PC. Then (assuming the PC is plugged into the modem) plug the modem back into the mains and restart the PC.

Bobster4321
29-06-2007, 17:07
I have tried that, and can get on to the Autoregister page, but it keeps cutting out halfway through, saying the page is unavailable...

chickendippers
29-06-2007, 17:24
Have you tried refreshing until you get to the next step?

Bobster4321
29-06-2007, 17:30
I have done quite a bit of refreshing, and it sometimes helps me get a bit further through the process.

I guess what I need to know is whether you think it's normal for the autoregister pages to take so long to load, keep cutting out and be so unreliable; or whether I may have a connection problem?

thanks for your continued help!

nordic
29-06-2007, 19:43
I take it you have connection on main pc if installed yesterday?

I'm running vista, with no problems. Let vista do the work for you.
Plug in modem, start pc, run internet explorer/ select tools/internet options/conections and setup a new connection (select broadband) and follow the menu instructions. or if you have internet explorer on desktop just right click and properties then connections etc.

Rone
29-06-2007, 19:50
My friend just had NTL installed, and was told not to use the NTL install cd on his Vista PC, in fact it only got connected without using it. ;)

Bobster4321
30-06-2007, 00:10
Situation resolved! I phoned VM and got a very helpful person, who instructed me that as I had a Dell Laptop with Vista, I had to run in "Windows Safe Mode - with Networking", and use the autoreg site as normal.

For anyone else with these issues, tap F8 when your PC is booting up, and select the "Windows Safe Mode - with Networking", and then carry on with the auto reg site as instructed.

thanks for all your help!:)