PDA

View Full Version : 20 MEG Broadband Virgin Media

Rakim033
29-06-2007, 15:12
I am going to be going for the new 20MEG boradband offered by NTL/Virgin Media in the coming week, they supply you with a modem apparently my question is do the new modems come with a standby button, as I want one with a standby button on the modem anyone know the answer? if it does not come with standby button, could I hook up a motorola surfboard modem? I don't know to much about modems well nothing actually lol, but if I get this setup from virgin media, do they come with the coax cable connection ?

chickendippers
29-06-2007, 17:29
You get whatever modem the engineer has in his van, so it'd be impossible for anyone to comment I'm afraid. Do modems even come with standby buttons? If you're looking to save electricity you can just turn it off at the plug when not in use.

icestar2
29-06-2007, 17:35
I currently have the old samsung box which has the modem built in I beleive. However once the 20mb upgrade is complete here I will need to switch to one of the new modems because the one I have wont handle 20mb according to VM's website.

Does any1 know what will happen ? will I have to register my computer with VM again ? Will it be plug and play like my samsung one is ? or will I have to setup the modem etc etc.

Oh an sorry for hijacking your post - just wanted to ask them questions and didnt think was worth making a new thread.

Rakim033
29-06-2007, 17:47
:(You get whatever modem the engineer has in his van, so it'd be impossible for anyone to comment I'm afraid. Do modems even come with standby buttons? If you're looking to save electricity you can just turn it off at the plug when not in use.

Not to save Electricity I want it for temp disable of internet if attempted hack comes in to place

icestar2
29-06-2007, 17:53
Not to save Electricity I want it for temp disable of internet if attempted hack comes in to place

Set your firewall to block all traffic if you have one. If not just unplug the cable.

hokkers999
29-06-2007, 19:20
:(

If that is a serious statement then you need to get yourself some hardware to stick in between the modem and your computer. Loads to choose from. Given that an attempted hack might be thousands of requests in a short period of time the first you'll know about it is when your account is suspended because your computer is sending out millions of spams.

Nedkelly
29-06-2007, 20:03
The modems we supply are the VM 255 which does not have a stanby button :)

lerum
30-06-2007, 00:52
Just pull out the power cable if needs be its not hard and you'll have you connection back within 30 seconds when you power it back again. :)

tay77
30-06-2007, 01:23
My Missus had 20meg installed the other day (she lives in Uxbridge).

The installer gave her a black Motorola box - with a Standby button on the top of it.

Picture: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/cable-modem-intro.jpg

grabbi
30-06-2007, 02:20
Does any1 know what will happen ? will I have to register my computer with VM again ? Will it be plug and play like my samsung one is ? or will I have to setup the modem etc etc.

I did. New email address, new PID code, new everything...