PDA

View Full Version : Hard up Wimbledon stars - my heart bleeds

Osem
29-06-2007, 10:44
What is it with these highly paid prima donnas? In the last few days I've heard the Williams sisters bemoaning the $ v. £ exchange rate claiming they can't afford to shop in London (yeah right!) and Marat Safin whineing on about having to pay £10 for a bowl of pasta at Wimbledon. Life is soooo tough for these people isn't it - I really don't know how they cope :rolleyes:

TheDaddy
29-06-2007, 11:05
What is it with these highly paid prima donnas? In the last few days I've heard the Williams sisters bemoaning the $ v. £ exchange rate claiming they can't afford to shop in London (yeah right!) and Marat Safin whineing on about having to pay £10 for a bowl of pasta at Wimbledon. Life is soooo tough for these people isn't it - I really don't know how they cope :rolleyes:

To be fair £12 for a bowl of spag bol is excessive imo

Gareth
29-06-2007, 11:08
Yep, it is expensive... but it's slightly easier to swallow such high prices (no pun intended) when your tax bill alone is many times higher than the gross income of the people who are watching you whack a small ball over a net a few times.

I bet they don't pay for those drinks during the breaks either... unlike the punters watching them.

Osem
29-06-2007, 13:49
To be fair £12 for a bowl of spag bol is excessive imo

I agree but nobody's forcing Safin to buy it are they. These people get enormous sums of money for hitting a ball back and forth (not to mention sponsorships) yet expect others to provide products and services to them cheaply.

TheDaddy
29-06-2007, 13:58
I agree but nobody's forcing Safin to buy it are they. These people get enormous sums of money for hitting a ball back and forth (not to mention sponsorships) yet expect others to provide products and services to them cheaply.

Is it possible he was making a statement on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of people that visit and are expected to pay the same as the sporting stars?

Saaf_laandon_mo
29-06-2007, 14:01
Is it possible he was making a statement on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of people that visit and are expected to pay the same as the sporting stars?

I think normal punters pay 20 plus pounds for that at wimbledon. I am sure I read that on the beeb website. Safin is getting a discount cause he's a player.

TheDaddy
29-06-2007, 14:03
I think normal punters pay 20 plus pounds for that at wimbledon. I am sure I read that on the beeb website. Safin is getting a discount cause he's a player.

Well thats even worse then, rip of Britain or what?

Gareth
29-06-2007, 14:04
Is it possible he was making a statement on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of people that visit and are expected to pay the same as the sporting stars?I'd like to think so, but in the real world, I'm guessing it wasn't the case sadly. People are inherently selfish.

I once saw a footballer interviewed on TV, who was asked what was the best thing about his job... to which he replied that he could get lots of stuff for free :erm: Admittedly, footballers aren't, generally, the smartest of people you're likely to encounter, but even I was taken aback by this guy's response.

Osem
29-06-2007, 16:00

Yes it is but from what I heard on a radio interview that wasn't the case.
If he'd come out and said Wimbledon should let in poor people and feed them cheaply or even free of charge I'd say well done. I'd also add though that perhaps he should accept a cut in his wages for the very same reason.

lauzjp
29-06-2007, 17:28
What about the people who would love to go to wimbledon, even just to amble around the grounds and maybe see a few great oldies, or rising stars? I am not going to queue for hours nor camp out overnight for the privilege, and I am certainly not going to pay silly prices to get rained on.

Gareth
29-06-2007, 17:34
...or worse still, have Cliff Richard suddenly burst into a song! :Yikes:

Osem
30-06-2007, 11:16
Oh dear, poor old Safin got slaughtered by Federer in straight sets - maybe he should have eaten more pasta.

:D

nffc
30-06-2007, 15:59
What about Werner Eschauer with his t-shirt and grass court shoes borrowed off other players ;) He lost to Nadal.

TheDaddy
30-06-2007, 16:45
What about Werner Eschauer with his t-shirt and grass court shoes borrowed off other players ;) He lost to Nadal.

Not won enough in prize money to buy his own or were they stolen :shocked: perhaps that's why Safin was moaning about the price of pasta, he'd had his wallet nicked :D

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/article-23402399-details/Whodunnit+Sneak+thief+strikes+in+the+Wimbledon+loc ker+room/article.do

nffc
01-07-2007, 02:40
Not enough to buy his own!

He made a loss 2 years ago and was sleeping under bridges because he couldn't afford hotels.

Our cushy mollycoddled Brits take note. Henman is spot on.