PDA

View Full Version : Saw a VM Eng today !

paulwilko
29-06-2007, 09:22
Everyday when i walk the dog, there is a Virgin Media van parked with an engineer in it.
Today i thought i would ask if there is an issue in my area (Bracknell)

He said not that he knows of although he has had a few calls with people not getting the service theyshould.

I said i find this very hard to believe as i have 2 mates i regularly game with and they are both on the 4meg service like myself and are also in Bracknell and are also always getting sub 2meg downloads.

He had a little cheeky smile on his face when i said there has to be a nationwide issue or at least an issue in Bracknell.

Seemed to be keeping his cards close to his chest !!!!

He told me to phone CS, very helpful !!!!!!!!!!!:td::mad::td::mad:

Graham M
29-06-2007, 09:37
What did you expect him to do, drop what he was doing and dash round to your house to check?

paulwilko
29-06-2007, 09:49
What did you expect him to do, drop what he was doing and dash round to your house to check?

Sorry, did I not make myself 150% clear :Yikes:, i will try and do that now !!!!

I was asking for info from him, not to physically do anything and he was being sheepish with his answers.

"Stopping what he was doing!!!!"
He was sat in a Park car park, hardly hard at it !!

LiamTG
29-06-2007, 11:10
Sorry, did I not make myself 150% clear :Yikes:, i will try and do that now !!!!

I was asking for info from him, not to physically do anything and he was being sheepish with his answers.

"Stopping what he was doing!!!!"
He was sat in a Park car park, hardly hard at it !!

It would appear Paulwilko that some people on this forum will have a pop at anyone they can just to make their post count up. Your post did NOT warrant such a snotty feckin answer as what you received. I see a lot of this going on in here.

L

jcardiff
29-06-2007, 11:26
It would appear Paulwilko that some people on this forum will have a pop at anyone they can just to make their post count up. Your post did NOT warrant such a snotty feckin answer as what you received. I see a lot of this going on in here.

L
and funnily enough most of these type of responses come from people with the same particular opinion

paulwilko
29-06-2007, 11:26

L
Never a truer word said

I have now given up with Tech support. Getting an engr to come out is prooving fruitless.

As i have a couple of mates in the same area with the same issue, it can only be a VM issue that will resolve itself sooner or later.

Cheers

Paul

ladyboy
29-06-2007, 14:48
;)we the engineers are unfortunatly mushrooms,fed on **** and kept in the dark i havnt had any training for years on anything not even vista.i know its not rocket science but you would of thought we,d of had a introduction to it before it launched.nope.samsung boxes just got them in the s w we were told there easy to set up.they are if you know what your doing.and they are.didnt even have a brief.so that engineer sat in his van was probally thinking about topping himself but didnt as he had no training.......:rolleyes:

piggy
29-06-2007, 15:01
;)we the engineers are unfortunatly mushrooms,fed on **** and kept in the dark i havnt had any training for years on anything not even vista.i know its not rocket science but you would of thought we,d of had a introduction to it before it launched.nope.samsung boxes just got them in the s w we were told there easy to set up.they are if you know what your doing.and they are.didnt even have a brief.so that engineer sat in his van was probally thinking about topping himself but didnt as he had no training.......:rolleyes:

that would be funny if it wasnt so true!!:(

paulwilko
29-06-2007, 15:21
Funny enough he was on his laptop looking at this http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-0470118067.html

Jules
29-06-2007, 15:25
Now that is funny :rofl:

Hugh
29-06-2007, 16:14
Never a truer word said

I have now given up with Tech support. Getting an engr to come out is prooving fruitless.

As i have a couple of mates in the same area with the same issue, it can only be a VM issue that will resolve itself sooner or later.

Cheers

Paul
kum hoc ergo propter hoc, or to put it another way, correlation does not imply causation. ;)

(I had to change the c for a k, because of the swear filter)

paulwilko
29-06-2007, 16:20
kum hoc ergo propter hoc, or to put it another way, correlation does not imply causation. ;)

(I had to change the c for a k, because of the swear filter)

I have tried putting that into Babelfish, but there was no conversion, can you explain please !!

Hugh
29-06-2007, 16:23
I have tried putting that into Babelfish, but there was no conversion, can you explain please !!
Correlation does not imply causation is a phrase used in the sciences and statistics to emphasize that correlation between two variables does not imply there is a cause-and-effect relationship between the two. Its converse, correlation implies causation, is a logical fallacy by which two events that occur together are claimed to have a cause-and-effect relationship. It is also known as kum hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin for "with this, therefore because of this") and false cause.

paulwilko
29-06-2007, 16:27
Correlation does not imply causation is a phrase used in the sciences and statistics to emphasize that correlation between two variables does not imply there is a cause-and-effect relationship between the two. Its converse, correlation implies causation, is a logical fallacy by which two events that occur together are claimed to have a cause-and-effect relationship. It is also known as kum hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin for "with this, therefore because of this") and false cause.
Unbelievable :dozey::dozey:

To put it into lamens terms "They may not be connected"

LiamTG
29-06-2007, 18:12

What he said!!

NTLVictim
29-06-2007, 20:13
That's LAYMEN'S terms..tsk

Hugh
29-06-2007, 20:14
Unbelievable :dozey::dozey:

To put it into lamens terms "They may not be connected"

What he said!!
Your witty ripostes put me to shame - the Earth must be precessing now, due to Oscar Wilde's movements in his resting place.......

paulwilko stated, as fact, that because he and some friends locally had an issue, "it can only be a VM problem".

I was just trying to point out, that just because when it's sunny some ducks quack, doesn't mean when ducks quack, it's sunny. ;)

Or to put it in laymen's term, they are probably not connected (not may not be).

Nedkelly
29-06-2007, 20:27
Since some of the techs have had there vans logod more peolple have been comming up to them asking questions i am surprised that he did not say anything .He was probabley having a bad day or they gave him to much work :)

papa smurf
29-06-2007, 21:42
Since some of the techs have had there vans logod more peolple have been comming up to them asking questions i am surprised that he did not say anything .He was probabley having a bad day or they gave him to much work :)

oh joy i cant wait:D

paulwilko
29-06-2007, 22:17
If VM got their house in order, he would not have too much work !:shocked:

piggy
29-06-2007, 22:27

i refer the gentleman to post #5:dozey:

Graham M
29-06-2007, 23:38
i refer the gentleman to post #5:dozey:

:D

jcardiff
29-06-2007, 23:48
i feel very sorry for the techs, with customer services being patchy and fairly liberal with the truth they must have to take some serious stick, guy who collected my modem last week had been threatened twice in the past month and he was a fairly big guy as well, if i was a vm tech i'd probabaly do like all the crooks in the sweeney used to do and make the vm van look like an ambulance

kryogenik
30-06-2007, 00:47
I Have it on good authority that VM employ out of season drop-couriers to drive specifically logo'd up vans around and instruct them to park up in residential areas and mess about on laptops/PDA's/PSP's etc.
This is primarily to entice would-be VM armchair experts from the comfort of their abodes into the open, thereby giving VM's CS a decent chance of dealing with people with problems rather more than those with a notion of there being a 'problem in the area'.

Could all be conjecture though..

Nedkelly
30-06-2007, 07:25
Never heared of that one :) Papas got to wash his van so he can have the stickers put on his van

paulwilko
30-06-2007, 09:34
I Have it on good authority that VM employ out of season drop-couriers to drive specifically logo'd up vans around and instruct them to park up in residential areas and mess about on laptops/PDA's/PSP's etc.
This is primarily to entice would-be VM armchair experts from the comfort of their abodes into the open, thereby giving VM's CS a decent chance of dealing with people with problems rather more than those with a notion of there being a 'problem in the area'.

Could all be conjecture though..
So, would i be right in saying that you are totally satisfied with your service from VM ?
If you are, then you were like me 2 weeks ago, now i am totally unsatisfied as i am getting very poor speeds. Whether it is a nationwide thing, a local thing or just me, i don't care, the fact is i used to get 4MB's constantly now i get under 1 MB constantly. Would you not say there is an issue.
If you don't, then i have heard there are cheap flights to india and jobs going in Tech Support, you would fit in lovely.

If i phone, call me Mr. Paul

gazzzman
30-06-2007, 11:45
seems a lot of VM's problems are caused by microsoft not VM :)
most of the customers with speed issues I have seen recently have had multiple viri spyware and worms lol!
it is often quite suprising to see their amazed little faces when you boot from a linux live CD (I use PC Linux OS) and suddenly their internet speeds triple :)
Microsofts buggy SW has a lot to answer for! but the folks selling AV etc SW
that only half works or annoys the user so much they just circumvent the protection for the sake of not being nagged to death well some of those SW people need to be locked up (or given a course on what "real" people are like!)
but please remember it isn't always VM's fault (just quite often at the mo :) )

slowcoach
30-06-2007, 12:02
seems a lot of VM's problems are caused by microsoft not VM :)
most of the customers with speed issues I have seen recently have had multiple viri spyware and worms lol!
it is often quite suprising to see their amazed little faces when you boot from a linux live CD (I use PC Linux OS) and suddenly their internet speeds triple :)
Microsofts buggy SW has a lot to answer for! but the folks selling AV etc SW
that only half works or annoys the user so much they just circumvent the protection for the sake of not being nagged to death well some of those SW people need to be locked up (or given a course on what "real" people are like!)
but please remember it isn't always VM's fault (just quite often at the mo :) )
And there was me thinking that the reason I have never had a problem with ntl/VM BB was that I am a clever sod, perhaps it's really just down to running Debian ......... bugger. ;)

Hugh
30-06-2007, 12:17
So, would i be right in saying that you are totally satisfied with your service from VM ?
If you are, then you were like me 2 weeks ago, now i am totally unsatisfied as i am getting very poor speeds. Whether it is a nationwide thing, a local thing or just me, i don't care, the fact is i used to get 4MB's constantly now i get under 1 MB constantly. Would you not say there is an issue.
If you don't, then i have heard there are cheap flights to india and jobs going in Tech Support, you would fit in lovely.

If i phone, call me Mr. Paul
paul, all joking aside, have you tried using Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test, or downloading a large file from Microsoft; that will give you a more accurate reading of your speed than a lot of the speedtest sites, and will give you information to talk to CS with if you still have an issue.
DEST (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/download/)

kryogenik
30-06-2007, 13:36

How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Lighten up for goodness sake. I was only having a laugh.
:rolleyes:

paulwilko
01-07-2007, 12:41
paul, all joking aside, have you tried using Dan Elwell's Broadband Speed Test, or downloading a large file from Microsoft; that will give you a more accurate reading of your speed than a lot of the speedtest sites, and will give you information to talk to CS with if you still have an issue.
DEST (http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/download/)

I had not tried this test. Although the results are slightly better, they are by no means what i should be getting.

kryogenik, I know you was having a laugh, but to be honest, this is getting beyond a joke now and needs sorting.

I have spent 1 hour on the phone to Tech support over 2 phone calls, and none of them will get me an engineer to come out. Now it costs me to get an engineer as the phone calls are charged now !!

Disgrace:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Paul

Safeman
01-07-2007, 13:54
What did you expect him to do, drop what he was doing and dash round to your house to check? BAH