PDA

View Full Version : PID number not issued

mancman
28-06-2007, 12:04
Hello.

I have been an NTL/VM customer for 5 years. Yesterday I had my crappy old Pace STB replaced with a Samsung one, as the net connection was constantly cutting out, and went down for 24 hours straight last week. The STB is connected to the PC with an ethernet cable.

Anyway, I of course needed to enter my password and PID before the net will work again with the new STB. However, the welcome letter was nowhere to be found so gave customer services a ring. Took a while to find someone who knew what I was talking about, and they gave me my PID number.

But entering this with the password in firefox simply brings up the message 'This PID has not been issued, please check and try again'. IE does not load anything. Myself and various members of the family have phoned up trying to resolve this and have been driven insane by the behaviour of their helplines.

Most of them simply suggested restarting the PC and STB (been done about 5 times and will obviously have no effect), and they constantly transferred us from customer services who transferred us to faults who transferred us to broadband who transferred us back to customer services!
Finally one broadband worker said the PID was not for the new STB and said we needed a new password and PID, and transferred the call.......to someone who said they do not issue new PIDs.

I am at the end of my tether with this. After speaking to about 10 people and being fobbed off and transferred around I am on the verge of putting a call in to Sky as it seems nobody at VM is capable of sorting this out.

Is there no way to simply bypass the NTL provisioning login screen somehow? I have tried tinkering with various settings and firewalls. Nothing works. I have no idea what to do now.

Any help very much appreciated.

(NB. I am typing this from a university computer)

Tech_Boy
28-06-2007, 18:05
possibly the STB has not had a hit to activate it for BB, or the hit need balancing.

Mick Fisher
28-06-2007, 18:14
I wish I could give some concrete advice on how to get out of this stupid situation that VM have got you into.

However I do have some thoughts on it.

I believe that VM have stopped the practice of supplying BB through STB for new customers. It may be, because you have been issued with a new STB, that VM's systems are now treating it as new custom and accordingly cannot issue a new BB PID.

Perhaps the way forward may be to request a self install stand alone cable modem kit.

Marge
28-06-2007, 18:34
PID numbers are not re-issued, they are associated with the account and are set in stone (or at least they used to be when I worked there)

I think it may need checking in the provisioning system (IAM) that it has been rejigged after your box swap or the new bb signal may have errored. Sorry it's a bit complicated to try and describe how it works but I reckon either of the above.

Just to confirm the PID numbers are 10 digits and also a password is needed for registration.

mancman
29-06-2007, 11:25
Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps the way forward may be to request a self install stand alone cable modem kit.

Might try this as a last resort. Literally a last resort.

Phoned Sky and they said it would take 3-4 weeks to get their BB up and running at my house, so I might as well try and salvage the VM setup while I still can.

NTLVictim
29-06-2007, 12:55
Phone cancellations and tell them why you're leaving? It might get this farcical situation resolved.