PDA

View Full Version : Pain Pain and more VM Pain

cookster
27-06-2007, 12:50
I posted a couple of months ago about getting between 1.5 - 2mbits on my 10mbit connection.

To cut a long story short and after many phone calls and engineer visits I decided to wait until the 20mbit upgrade came hoping that would make a difference!

Well I was upgrading yesterday, did a speed test last night and hurray 16mbit stable..... great!!! However, I turned the cable modem on this morning and I'm back to 1.5 - 2mbits this morning... Queried the modem and the config file is correct!

Rang VM and an engineer is coming on Friday! This time I'll switch the cable modem on and off and check if the speed deteriorates when he's here!!

One last chance and then I'm off for good!!!

Jules
27-06-2007, 13:04
I leave my SACM on all the time, having said that it should not effect your speeds just because you have turned it off and back on.

Hope it gets sorted on Friday :tu:

cookster
27-06-2007, 13:26
I leave my SACM on all the time, having said that it should not effect your speeds just because you have turned it off and back on.

Hope it gets sorted on Friday :tu:

A few peeps have said that to me. But in this day and age you should be able to switch it off at night!

Jules
27-06-2007, 13:29
I agree you should be able to if you want to and as I said it should not effect your speeds :)

US.M@JORHAZZARD
27-06-2007, 14:20
A few peeps have said that to me. But in this day and age you should be able to switch it off at night!

But it uses minimal power,
In the on / off relationship i have had with NTL/virgin the only time i have ever turned off my modem was durring the 20 meg upgrading, evey morning i would reboot just to check see if i had been upgraded, the only other time i reboot is when my wife has had her Azureus running overnight...

Also on a side note for the last week prior to being upgraded my 10meg service dropped to 1.5meg from 5pm till 12am and i thought i was being shaped which i thought was a bit severe and i wasn't even a heavy user.

The most i did durring 4-12 was maybe view a couple o HD film trainlers from quicktime..

So if it says your being upgraded from 10-20 in june and you are experiencing crappy speeds it could be that they are working to upgrade your area.

If you have been getting crappy speeds and your not being upgraded then i'm sorry :)

Toto
27-06-2007, 14:27
I posted a couple of months ago about getting between 1.5 - 2mbits on my 10mbit connection.

To cut a long story short and after many phone calls and engineer visits I decided to wait until the 20mbit upgrade came hoping that would make a difference!

Well I was upgrading yesterday, did a speed test last night and hurray 16mbit stable..... great!!! However, I turned the cable modem on this morning and I'm back to 1.5 - 2mbits this morning... Queried the modem and the config file is correct!

Rang VM and an engineer is coming on Friday! This time I'll switch the cable modem on and off and check if the speed deteriorates when he's here!!

One last chance and then I'm off for good!!!

Can you try multiple concurrent downloads from various sites, and see what happens?

cookster
28-06-2007, 10:20
Update: got home yesterday and reset the modem, tested and whooshhhh 19mbit. Turned off yesterday evening, got up this morning and back down to 1.5mbit, what the f@#k is up with this company!!!!

hokkers999
28-06-2007, 11:49
Update: got home yesterday and reset the modem, tested and whooshhhh 19mbit. Turned off yesterday evening, got up this morning and back down to 1.5mbit, what the f@#k is up with this company!!!!

Or to put it another way what's up with you? Why are you disconnecting a designed to be permanently on service, do you also do the following

1. Unplug your phone from the wall at night?
2. Disconnect your TV from the aerial?
3. remove the light bulbs?

No, didn't think so, it is a service, leave it on.

sav112
28-06-2007, 12:07
I used to switch my Modem and my old Cable TV box off as for your examples -WHAT!

Do you unplug your TV at night and i mean the plug not an aerial, Well i do a family of five lost two kids a few years back and it was the TV plugged on and on standby.
As i now have a skydigital box on and it needs to be kept on i just do the same with the modem. I had to switch the old cable Tv box off as it made a noise.....but its binned many moons ago.

cookster
28-06-2007, 12:40
Or to put it another way what's up with you? Why are you disconnecting a designed to be permanently on service, do you also do the following

LOL classic clown argument!!! I use my cooker everyday so I suppose I should leave the hob permanently on? And then there's the car, maybe I should leave the engine running!

I'm no eco-warrior but I prefer to unplug any non essential electrical products
on safety grounds.

hokkers999
28-06-2007, 12:48
LOL classic clown argument!!! I use my cooker everyday so I suppose I should leave the hob permanently on? And then there's the car, maybe I should leave the engine running!

I'm no eco-warrior but I prefer to unplug any non essential electrical products
on safety grounds.

No, you're the clown you picked a bad analogy. To use your cooker the equivalent is leaving the socket on at the wall. If you're going to nit pick get it right.

As for the car, the correct analogy would be that you don't disconnect the battery every night - just in case.

In a typical home there are ZERO essential electrical products so you unplug EVERY single thing? No, so don't talk crap. Else why you don't you nip out to the meter and tip the supply off when you aren't using it and turn the gas meter off as well?

And no, fridges and freezers are NOT essential to life, neither are alarm clocks etc. You're picking an argument you can't win.

SERVICES are meant to be there 24/7.

sav112
28-06-2007, 12:58
Sorry cookster owned you there! and lets not start a flame war.
the point being if anyone wants to unpug the Modem they should expect it to work when they plug it back in.

As for analogys the first three were the worst, in fact two made no sense at all...or just so dam poor.

cookster
28-06-2007, 13:00
the point being if anyone wants to unpug the Modem they should expect it to work when they plug it back in.

My point exactly!!

mentalis
28-06-2007, 13:13
I turn my modem and router on every evening and off at night and I have had no problems with either.

I also turn my second STB off for long periods - I have had a problem with it forgetting about the subscription so I may need to stop 'not' using it for long periods.

I sometimes turn the V+ off at the wall if I am away for a long period of time (a weekend or longer) and that has never caused me a problem; I haven't turned off the V+ for a while but Doctor Who finishes soon :(

MikeyB
28-06-2007, 14:04

I have to agree with cookster, you have chosen some poor examples there.

1. Questionable, if it's a bog-standard corded phone then I wonder if it actually uses any power at all? And if not, do you mean the power or the actual telephone line connection?

2 & 3 How silly.
They are the equivalent of switching off the cable modem & then disconnecting the incoming cable, who does that????
Turning if off is not the same as unplugging the cable from the modem.

I always turn off the TV when not in use, NOT standby.
I always turn off the lights when I go to bed.
I always turn off my cable modem, and my router, when I'm not using it.

I don't disconnect any of them, particularly things like the aerial or the cable feed.
This has never caused any problems at all.

I think cookster is correct with his car analogy, you turn off the engine when you are not using it, but you do not disconnect the battery!!

The OP simply mentioned tuning off the modem, no mention of disconnecting anything.

Wiggz
28-06-2007, 15:10
Can you try multiple concurrent downloads from various sites, and see what happens?

Toto, what makes you say this. I only ask as this is the same issue I am having (as most ex-NTL people are I think).

However multiple threads from Blueyonder's ftp site for instance gets me to 20mb with ease.

So leads me to believe there is something technically wrong with the traffic shaping they have running, not the network itself being saturated.

Nedkelly
28-06-2007, 16:16
From a fault tech point of view the people who turn everything off at night have more problems than those who leave things on .When you turn the boxes of you loose any thing that was stored in the logs which we can use to find a fault :)

ukxenon
28-06-2007, 19:14

I unplug my TV at night ass well as my dvd player and my cable box i also turn of the dish washer and washing machine and kettle and cooker and compter and modem of at night for the simple reason i know of people who have left them on and had electrical fires.

it should not matter if he turnes it of or on.

GeoffB
28-06-2007, 20:03
At work we have equipment that is left on 24/7. Not the computers, but the switches, printers etc. By switching off modems and routers every night, you are shortening their lifespan - this is well documented, as the frequent cooling/warming wears out the components until they fail. But then a router is less than £100 and a housefire can cost thousands. It's really a matter of personal choice. (I know someone who wanted to record a programme from TV to video and left the TV on all weekend set to the appropriate channel when they went away, thinking that's what they had to do. Mind you, he was 75!!)