PDA

View Full Version : Killing Meadow grass

Mike
27-06-2007, 10:25
Hi all

Any ideas on the best way of killing meadow grass in my lawn. Alway out grows the grass and is difficult to cut.

Can't find anything in the shops !

Thanks

Mike

Taf
27-06-2007, 11:11
I just dug out the clumps I had and reseeded the bare patches...

joglynne
27-06-2007, 11:47
Hi Mike, it sounds as though you have couch grass growing in your lawn. If you have a relatively small amount Taf's way I just dug out the clumps I had and reseeded the bare patches...could well work and it's worth giving it a try.You also could looking at the lawn products at your garden centre which specifically mention this particular 'grass weed' but so far I have never really found a product that really works.

Couch is a thug but we have managed to lessen it's impact on our lawns by keeping them cut really short. We have found that a 'hover' mower works best for those long stems that seem to defy the blade and over time the short back and sides approach seems to weaken it.

Unfortunately couch has an extensive root system. Dig some up and the broken roots just regrow even more new plants. We had one area near a garden pond which was almost pure couch and we were able to clear that area with a general systemic weed killer and it surprised us how far into the main lawn the the weed killers action went following the root system of the enemy.

Jo:)