PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from an installation?

nemof
25-06-2007, 23:34
I have ordered VM and it's being installed this weekend. However, I am renting my room from a friend who owns the property. If the whole installation process is too invasive I am thinking about cancelling it.

What does the installation entail? Will they for instance need to dig up the garden? How do they usually get the cable into the home?

I'm seriously worried I might have to cancel, I'm going bonkers at the mo, they have 2mb BT broadband.

on in an hour!
26-06-2007, 12:29
I have ordered VM and it's being installed this weekend. However, I am renting my room from a friend who owns the property. If the whole installation process is too invasive I am thinking about cancelling it.

What does the installation entail? Will they for instance need to dig up the garden? How do they usually get the cable into the home?

I'm seriously worried I might have to cancel, I'm going bonkers at the mo, they have 2mb BT broadband.
first,if its not your property you will need to show you have the owners permission to have the cable installed.second,if the property isnt already cabled then yes,they will have to dig up the garden.then they will place a brown box on the front of the property.from this they will then need to take 2 cables ( 1 if youre only having broadband) from this box either round the building or through whichevers best.;)

Halcyon
26-06-2007, 12:40
As has been said, check to see if your house is already cabled.
Is there a little brown box attached to the wall of your house and then a box inside the house ?
If there is then you won't need the garden digging up.

If your garden is mainly grass they normally make a small trench where they put the cable below. It is not big as they only put it a few centimetres under the soil.
If you have paving slabs, they should lift up the slabs and place the cable underneath. It all depends on how much work the installers are feeling like doing.

They will have to drill atleast one hole to get the cable from the little box on the outside of your house into the home.
You could use a router to spread the broadband around the house if you don't want cables all over.
Normally they will pin the cable to the wall and leave enough cable for where you need it to go.

nemof
26-06-2007, 18:02
thanks for your answers. hmm, well i am going to talk to my landlord. I actually had a bright idea and checked to see if other houses nearby are wired, just so i could show my landlord and see what they thought. If it's a no go then I'll have to solve my crappy broadband dilemma somehow else.

Jules
26-06-2007, 18:07
When I had my installed many years ago they dug a trench down the centre of the front garden, having said that they did fill it in nicely and replace the turf.