PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Problem, need help

Boomer567
25-06-2007, 23:18
Hello,

I am unsure where exactly to post this but this is a problem i have been having for ages (probably 1 or 2 years, yes after Virgin Media took over).

Basically what happens, is that every half hour or so, my internet will disconnect. It will only disconnect for a second or so, but I am a gamer so that one second disconnect will remove me from gaming servers and I have to go through the hassle of joining back, and constantly die which gets extremely fustrating.

Although at this moment I feel like venting alot of anger, I did not post to complain as that will get me nowhere, I just want help.

If you need connection information and such please let me know how to get it as I am not very smart when it comes to internet connections. I am using a router.

Dai
26-06-2007, 09:34
Hi Boomer.
More data needed before anyone can help.
What is your cable package speed and what type of cable modem and router are you using?
Connected to router wired or wireless?

There are lots of possibilities so more info is needed.

Richy99
26-06-2007, 12:01
you mean before VM took over?

as the above said, more info is needed on your setup

Blandhino
26-06-2007, 12:51
Hi there, when I first joined up with VM 4/5 months ago I had to replace my old ADSL router with a cable compatible one....

I started off with a Belkin router which I had the same problem as you seem to be having, the connection would intermittently just drop for a few seconds and then come back on again. This would happen at least once every 30 minutes.

I then changed the router to one I saw in Maplins made by Sitecom. The router came with a 10 year guarantee so I thought that's bound to be OK.

Unfortunately it had the same problem as the Belkin. At this point I started to suspect the connection so I did some testing just using the cable modem with no router and low and behold everything ran perfectly.

I returned the Sitecom router and bought a Linksys WRT54GS...Problem solved.

Boomer567
26-06-2007, 13:48
Hi there, when I first joined up with VM 4/5 months ago I had to replace my old ADSL router with a cable compatible one....

I started off with a Belkin router which I had the same problem as you seem to be having, the connection would intermittently just drop for a few seconds and then come back on again. This would happen at least once every 30 minutes.

I then changed the router to one I saw in Maplins made by Sitecom. The router came with a 10 year guarantee so I thought that's bound to be OK.

Unfortunately it had the same problem as the Belkin. At this point I started to suspect the connection so I did some testing just using the cable modem with no router and low and behold everything ran perfectly.

I returned the Sitecom router and bought a Linksys WRT54GS...Problem solved.

Thanks, I will try using the internet without using the router to see how it works.