PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem upgrade

Paranoimia
25-06-2007, 16:23
Hi all!

Had an engineer out today to check pixellation on our STBs, and while he was here, he noticed my cable modem (Terayon TJ210) and said that it needed upgrading.

I recall seeing a page on the VM site about a month ago, which provided details of which modems would need replacing when the upgrade from 10MB to 20MB rolled out, and the TJ210 was one of them. It also provided details of how to go about getting the replacement, saying you could either have them send it to you and do it yourself, or pay for an engineer to do it for you.

We don't get the upgrade until August, but the engineer said it should really be upgraded now anyway. Thing is, I've had a look, and I can't seem to find that page again. Can anyone help me out with a link?

Thanks in advance.

TheDon
25-06-2007, 16:39
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html should be it

v0id
25-06-2007, 16:41
http://virginmedia.com/evenfaster

Why couldn't the engineer replace the modem tere and then? You know, two birds with one stone and all?

Paranoimia
25-06-2007, 17:32
It is!

Many thanks.

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

http://virginmedia.com/evenfaster

Why couldn't the engineer replace the modem tere and then? You know, two birds with one stone and all?

He said usually, he would - but was booked solid with appointments and didn't have time.

Mind you, he did say that it needed to be installed by an engineer... which according to the website, it doesn't. So I'm going to fill in the form and get them to send me one, along with the 'quick start' guidelines. I installed the Terayon myself... I'm sure I can manage the replacement!

rossco555
25-06-2007, 17:44
Can you point me in the direction of this form for upgrading your modem please? Thanx...rossco555

TheDon
25-06-2007, 17:59
Can you point me in the direction of this form for upgrading your modem please? Thanx...rossco555

Reading isn't your strongest point is it? 1st reply to the thread.

rossco555
25-06-2007, 18:53
Thanx for the info.....I've already bin there and done that...it tells me the
Ambit 100 is compatable with the XL service, which it clearly ain't. I thought the thread was talking about a paper form to print and fill out, somewhere on the VM site, but clearly did'nt read that right either. Oh to be perfect!

Paranoimia
30-06-2007, 16:59
EDIT: Forget what was here... it's sorted!

Paranoimia
11-07-2007, 14:34
Okay, well... this sucks!

Since getting this new modem, I seem to be getting the full 10Mb only intermittently. Usually, it seems to be just 1.5Mb.

If I download a reasonable size file, from a server that is usually reliably quick, I get around 200-300K/sec if I'm lucky, where as previously this was over 700K/sec.

Phoned VM, but the goon on the other end just insisted that he could "see that you are getting the full 10Mb". No matter how much I protested, he wouldn't budge.

I've a new router coming later this week/early next, in preparation for the upgrade to 20Mb. If things don't improve after that's installed, how can I get past these first-line staff who really don't seem to have a clue?

zerolight
24-07-2007, 14:25
I completed that form back on the 20th June and haven't received it yet. A call to VM confirmed that the order doesn't seem to have been taken. I have the old Terayon TJ210.

I've apparently to call the premium BB number to get the guys there to take the order for me, so I guess I'll give that a try when I get home tonight. It would seem that the website method of ordering a replacement modem for self install isn't very reliable. Shame, it looked like a very slick process on the website too.