PDA

View Full Version : STB not supplying IP to PC

kaydee
25-06-2007, 09:32
Hello, I have both a Samsung STB and a New Cable modem (small, black, says virgin on the front and only has ethernet, I'm not sure what model). I can get online fine via the modem, but I would like to use the STB to minimize on clutter. I get an IP just fine on the PC when using the modem, but when I try the STB I get a passifier address of 169.x.x.x. What am I doing wrong?

P.S I also plan on connecting up a Netgear wireless router to the STB, after I get the STB working online!

MovedGoalPosts
25-06-2007, 09:36
Virgin Media's preference is for you to use the modem. If you have a modem the STB broadband will be disabled. Broadband via STB was not available in all cabled areas anyway.

The STB can only support up to 5-6meg speeds in any case, so unless you have the slowest speed service the STB wouldn't cope.

Stick with the modem.

Graham M
25-06-2007, 09:38
Clutter? The Modem doesnt have to be on display anyways, stick it behind a cupboard or something but make sure there is enough airflow!

kaydee
25-06-2007, 09:44
I'm on 2mb package, so there wont be a bottle neck. When I spoke to a Virgin Media rep on the phone, she said I could use either my modem or STB to get online. Is this not the case? I know the modem is quite small and is not alot of clutter... but when i get something into my head, I have to finish with it! ;)

I might give Tech support a call later... but at £0.25 a minute, I'll see if you guys can help me first.

Graham M
25-06-2007, 09:46
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/06/3.jpg

Seriously though, you're much better off with the Modem, much more reliable and if you have to reboot your Samsung (it does occasionally freeze - in general anyway) then you won't lose your Internet!

kaydee
25-06-2007, 09:52
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/06/3.jpg

Seriously though, you're much better off with the Modem, much more reliable and if you have to reboot your Samsung (it does occasionally freeze - in general anyway) then you won't lose your Internet!

Probably. But I'd still like to find out why I can't get an IP from the STB. :p:

Graham M
25-06-2007, 10:08
Errr because the Modem in the STB hasn't been enabled, simple as that!

Stuart
25-06-2007, 10:09
Probably. But I'd still like to find out why I can't get an IP from the STB. :p:

They've probably not enabled your STB for broadband.

Personally, I'd do what has been suggested above. Use the modem, and put in in a cupboard somewhere.

Tech_Boy
25-06-2007, 10:45
STB broadband was only ever available on the Bromley side of the ex Ntl network, and hasn't been available as a choice for about a year, as it is being gradually phased out.

So you wouldn't be able to get the STB activated for BB.