PDA

View Full Version : Few queries about my connection (10mb)

myriauk
24-06-2007, 13:11
First some information about my connection.
I started out on the 1mb connection from Telewest, then through-out the contract over the years, I got upgraded all the time 1 > 2 > etc.. all the way up to 10mb, I'm currently in queue for the 20mb upgrade which is coming to this area in August according to the Virgin Media website.

Why that may be fine, it just doesn't seem to be running at 10mb let alone being able to handle 20mb, I understand that speed tests are un-reliable but these speeds are just starting to frustrate as well as annoy me, I've been on the phone to them for such an extensive period now it's growing frustrating.

cable.ubr04.telf.blueyonder.co.uk

Is the ubr that I'm on.
I had my modem replaced with a Scientific Atlanta DPX 2100, it's connecting directly to my NetGear Cable/DSL Websafe Router RP614v2 also seen here:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/RP614.aspx

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the 614 and the 614v2 model, but I'm wondering would my router to be to blame for some of the issues that I'm getting? can it even support 10mb let alone 20mb?

The issue that I'm having is this.
Imagine it's 4-5am on a Wednesday, I'd wake up come online, (I leave my own PC on 24/7) I'd browse to let's say http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/ and download the call of duty demo

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/CallofDutyDemo.zip

and speeds would be going at around 1182KB/s which would in theory be around correct for a 10mb connection correct?

now any other day it would struggle to go at let's take today for example

65KB/s which would well... be very slow, even though I haven't downloaded anything to make the connection be shaped. The problem has been like this for a while now and it's extremely frustrating, even without the router in the equation and the modem directly connected to the PC the speeds stay the same.

Like some members on the board, I am one plagued with problems, but I envy those that have solid 10mb connections.

I've spoke to VM a fair few times over the months, they agreed that theres a problem somewhere on there end and theres no eta on a fix, I then got put through to Customer Relations (which I'm also ringing tomorrow) the woman there advised me that I can have the bill credited from the first day that I reported the fault (back in February) great I thought, but I still recieved a Bill for it.

So all In all, can anyone see anything wrong or advise me what to do? What speeds should I get through firefox? newsgroups? even usenet seems to be limited only getting max 100kb/s through there.

Any help would be appreciated.

edit:
10mbit/s(10mbs/10mbits) = 1250kilobyte or 1250kB/s

Also a bit of information about uploading please, I share some media files and college projects with other students by using upload websites, I mainly use rapidshare.com and on my 10mb connection I get an upload speed of max around 41kb/s is that again correct for a 10mb connection?

Druchii
24-06-2007, 16:12
The 41kBps up to rapidshare is right, the max you can expect is around 48kBps up (384 / 8)

As for that DPX modem, i'm not sure whether it can handle 20Mb or not, your best bet is probably to get it swapped out anyway. (For one that definitely can)
It seems to handle 10Mb okay, which is good, as as you said on 4-5am it does max out. The slowness is due to congestion locally.

As for the router handling 20Mb, i really can't say much i'm afraid.

JackSon
24-06-2007, 16:42
For the router, looking at the following specs page for the RP614:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/RP614.aspx?detail=Specifications

It lists the interface speeds as:

Interface Specifications

Internet/WAN: 10/100 Mbps (auto-sensing) Ethernet, RJ-45
LAN: 4 ports 10/100 Mbps (auto-sensing) Ethernet, RJ-45From that it seems your router is 20Mbs capable, all the way up to 100Mbs in fact. This router makes it onto the VM XL compatability list :) (which is at the moment fictional, but it is a start)

Druchii
24-06-2007, 16:50
For the router, looking at the following specs page for the RP614:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/RP614.aspx?detail=Specifications

It lists the interface speeds as:

Interface Specifications

Internet/WAN: 10/100 Mbps (auto-sensing) Ethernet, RJ-45
LAN: 4 ports 10/100 Mbps (auto-sensing) Ethernet, RJ-45From that it seems your router is 20Mbs capable, all the way up to 100Mbs in fact. This router makes it onto the VM XL compatability list :) (which is at the moment fictional, but it is a start)
That's all very well, but does the POWER of the router stop it reaching 20Mb/s?

The CPU could limit it to below this, and if it does wireless, that certainly will be lower than 20Mb/s.

myriauk, are you able to set up a test with 2 PC's with your router in between? One connected to WAN, one connected to WAN, and then transfer a big file between the 2? This will test what speed the WAN port can operate at. Take the file size, time how long it takes to transfer, divide size by time, and you'll have a speed :)

myriauk
24-06-2007, 16:58
well it takes literally seconds to put a 700mb dvd rip from my pc over the network into a shared folder, same when transfering files over msn from my pc to another, pretty much instant

Druchii
24-06-2007, 17:00
Sounds good :) I'd say it's pretty much given that it's going to be fine.

However, LAN to LAN transfers aren't the same as WAN to LAN. So, who knows.

JackSon
24-06-2007, 17:07
A good point, Druchii. Afraid I zommed right past that one.