PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of VM tv service only..but want to run necessary cable in house myself

AndyV
22-06-2007, 21:35
Currently renovating room where TV is sited and considering having VM TV installed BUT I want to run the cable in the house myself. I know where the enrty point would be and I know where I want the cable to terminate...3 questions:

1. If I run the cable myself, assuming I use the same cable as the installers, would they accept this? I would leave it unterminated
2. What cable would I require
3. Any special considerations for laying/positing the cable.

Thanks

Tezcatlipoca
22-06-2007, 22:27
:welcome:

Why not just ask the installer to run it where you want it?

Not sure whether they would / would not let you do that part yourself. Try phoning them, or hopefully a VM staffer here will pop in this thread.

As for the type of cable, IIRC they use either RG-6 or RG-59 (must be good quality, with properly fitted connectors).

AndyV
23-06-2007, 09:26
Thanks for the info....coax will be run under floor which will be down b4 VM potentially installed...and wife wants me to decorate!

Pedro1
23-06-2007, 16:35
When i first got my VM installed it was Telewest at the time and the guy ran a cable not just into the front of the house but extended one upstairs for me to all for a backhander of £20. It just depends on the engineer you get. Some are ok and some are F****ng neds.

r0an
28-06-2007, 16:32
Ask for a pre-install survey. That will put your mind at rest.

moxley108
14-07-2007, 01:33
i had mine 3 weeks ago and bb goes inside from entry and tv through wall under living room window , two plonkers installed it,fresh from vm installation school they where so they were giving the cable away in case i want to reroute or some thing,overall bb been very good wouldnt say i was flying but nearly airborne on four computers

Hugh
14-07-2007, 07:30
Issue could be if there is a problem with the signal - how would it be decided which cable(s) are causing the problems (as the first question usually asked on BB problems is "do you have a router?").

progers
14-07-2007, 10:18
Why not buy a length of flexible conduit and put it under the floor with a drawstring through, then just pull the VM cable through.

I had a similar issue, I wanted the cable into the side of the house into the loft then down through the walls into the office "Sorry Guv, we don't do lofts"

I had a drawstring ready, pulled cable into loft then the ntl man pulled it down into the office using the second drawstring. He was very amenable for me to be the second engineer especially as his mate had a groin strain.

Gave them both money for a pint each, was left with a box of cable staples and enough cable in the loft to feed to any of the upstairs rooms.