PDA

View Full Version : Cat Trouble!

Victor-Meldrew
22-06-2007, 20:47
Just thought I'd ask for help with the problem I got with cats soiling the garden. I've got 2 children and I can't let them play out because of it. Any help on what I can do to prevent the cats doing this would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
22-06-2007, 20:51
Put citrus fruit skins on the garden

Chicken
22-06-2007, 21:01
I find one of these helps http://tinyurl.com/yjeznl ;)

lowhydrogen
22-06-2007, 21:50
i bought a P90 electric BB gun...

it did releave my tension a little but the git still comes back from time to time.

in the end i got myself a cat because they are territorial and normally don't crap in their own garden, well mind doesn't.

i'm sure your local pet shop or vet would be able to offer some good advice

snodvan
22-06-2007, 22:07
Try this

http://shop.telegraph.co.uk/csp/tel/readeroffers/index.csp?Preq=itementry.csp&FS=JJ.TLW176&cat=&header=

It is not 100% effective bit it is GOOD. We planted a lot in mum's garden and it certainly helped move the mogs on from areas they were used to using. How much that was due to ground cover (they like open ground to foul) or to the plants I really cannot say. Whatever, theplants are attractive enough. A flower shop near me sells the plants at £2.25 each. They are perennial and fill out quite rapidly in spring.

The only problem is you cant put these plants everywhere - so the mogs just move elsewhere in the garden

SV

danielf
22-06-2007, 23:51
http://www.deteracat.co.uk/

The scarecrow (http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm) looks particularly interesting. Other than that: try supersoaker or a bb gun. Whatever you do: don't get a cat as advised above, as you will just pass the problem to another neighbour (and add to it). Pah. Cats. Vermin! :td:

Nugget
22-06-2007, 23:53
Have you tried landmines? Let's face it, it's not as if your kids can go out at the minute anyway and, when the cat gets the message, it'll make an interesting game for the whole family to play ;):disturbd:

Victor-Meldrew
23-06-2007, 00:46
Put citrus fruit skins on the garden

ok thank try that;:)

Topgun
23-06-2007, 00:58
I haven't actually tried this myself, but I'm told if you urinate around the boundary of your garden (might take a few goes depending on the size of your garden!) the cats think another "animal" is claiming the area for themselves and they will stay away.
And no, I'm not taking the p**s!!!!

jtwn
23-06-2007, 01:42
Cats **** and **** in their own gardens too? Urinating is marking their territory! Get a good cat, my old cat used to dig holes, drop its load and cover it back up again ;)

Raistlin
23-06-2007, 08:59
If they're coming in over the fence try putting some carpet gripper on the tops of the fence, spike side up obviously.

Not only should it deter the little buggers from climbing over your fence, but it should make local kids/burgulars think twice (after they've caught their fingers once that is ;) ).

Angua
23-06-2007, 09:24
Lion poo is supposed to be good too! Silent Roar (http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/silent-roar.htm) is an easy to apply version.

Taf
23-06-2007, 10:00
The plant mentioned STINKS to high heaven... you won't like it either.

I have never had cats fouling in my garden until next door got 2 female kittens (the only female cats in the area). They won't pay for cat-litter, and didn't care about their kittens being "got-at" until one had to have an emergency abortion, and the other brought home 4 kittens! Now both are banned from their house after they scratched furniture, and are effectively being left to go feral.

I have tried various cat repellents, chilli powder, black pepper, citrus peel... but the most effective has been plastic mesh over any bare ground.

I bought an ultrasonic "gun" but the cat that does the most fouling ignores it (deaf?).

Supersoaker watergun is good if I see them about to do their thing.

TheDaddy
23-06-2007, 10:00
Cats. Vermin! :td:

I quite agree :tu:

Raistlin
23-06-2007, 11:00
I had another idea.

Tempt the cats in question with some tasty treats, when you can get hold of them do so and check out their ID tags and find out where they 'live'.

Now get yourself a BIG dog, and feed it well.

Now take it around to the house where the cats are from and let it crap on their front lawn :D

TheDaddy
23-06-2007, 11:08
I had another idea.

Tempt the cats in question with some tasty treats, when you can get hold of them do so and check out their ID tags and find out where they 'live'.

Now get yourself a BIG dog, and feed it well.

Now take it around to the house where the cats are from and let it crap on their front lawn :D

Or follow the cat home, tap on it's owners window, when you have their attention, turn around, drop your trousers and take a dump on their lawn ;)

danielf
23-06-2007, 11:15
<snip>

I bought an ultrasonic "gun" but the cat that does the most fouling ignores it (deaf?) <snip>

Have you tried the infrared activated water gun I linked to? Personally, I'd love to buy one, but I don't have a cat problem (really) at the moment. ;)

handyman
23-06-2007, 12:32
I read that tea bags soaked in deep heat works well.

Raistlin
23-06-2007, 13:13
I read that tea bags soaked in deep heat works well.

What as? Missiles :D

snodvan
23-06-2007, 22:22
The plant mentioned STINKS to high heaven... you won't like it either.

I have never had cats fouling in my garden until next door got 2 female kittens (the only female cats in the area). They won't pay for cat-litter, and didn't care about their kittens being "got-at" until one had to have an emergency abortion, and the other brought home 4 kittens! Now both are banned from their house after they scratched furniture, and are effectively being left to go feral.

I have tried various cat repellents, chilli powder, black pepper, citrus peel... but the most effective has been plastic mesh over any bare ground.

I bought an ultrasonic "gun" but the cat that does the most fouling ignores it (deaf?).

Supersoaker watergun is good if I see them about to do their thing.

Well, the version of it that mum uses does not "stnk" - unless you walk on it or crush the leaves in yoiur hands. Sure, in the natural (untouched) state it does have odour but just earthy/ green/ slightly peppery is how I would describe it. I am presuming that mogs respond to that in a different way from me and perhaps more if they brush against it. Maybe it even leaves a taste on the mogs fur that they find unpleasant when preening.

I agree that mesh is a good technique for larger areas of open ground eg beds etc before the seedlings come through - but looks awful and then you have to store the damned stuff until you need it the next time

SV

Victor-Meldrew
23-06-2007, 22:51
I find one of these helps http://tinyurl.com/yjeznl ;)

nice one:D

Chris W
23-06-2007, 23:00
Buy a dog. big one. that likes eating cats for breakfast.

or a korean person- Goyangi tan is one of the more popular Korean cat dishes.

Victor-Meldrew
23-06-2007, 23:01
Try this

http://shop.telegraph.co.uk/csp/tel/readeroffers/index.csp?Preq=itementry.csp&FS=JJ.TLW176&cat=&header=

It is not 100% effective bit it is GOOD. We planted a lot in mum's garden and it certainly helped move the mogs on from areas they were used to using. How much that was due to ground cover (they like open ground to foul) or to the plants I really cannot say. Whatever, theplants are attractive enough. A flower shop near me sells the plants at £2.25 each. They are perennial and fill out quite rapidly in spring.

The only problem is you cant put these plants everywhere - so the mogs just move elsewhere in the garden

SVthank s i have trip to the garden center allso thanks again to all i try anythink:)

tweetypie/8
23-06-2007, 23:07
Just thought I'd ask for help with the problem I got with cats soiling the garden. I've got 2 children and I can't let them play out because of it. Any help on what I can do to prevent the cats doing this would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

a good boot up the jam roll should cure it :disturbd:

Shaun
24-06-2007, 02:51
Just remind me (cat lovers) why I should spend money on getting rid of other peoples pets from my garden?

joglynne
24-06-2007, 09:10
Just remind me (cat lovers) why I should spend money on getting rid of other peoples pets from my garden?

Shaun,I can't find a post where a cat lover has asked you to spend any money on your garden. The op is asking a serious question and some posters have taken the opportunity to let their Ailurophobia show.

Our cats have always been trained to use a litter tray, and believe me if they didn't I have neighbours that would let me know. Irresponsible dog owners who 'walk' their dogs on green areas and don't clean up after them can also be criticised as causing a health risk.

The area most at risk from other cats in my garden is an large gravel area which we made a couple of years ago and before the plants grew to any size it must have resembled a large cat litter tray.:D We found that a product called Scoot was very effective. It's in granular form and has to be applied every 6 weeks or so but we found that it broke the visiting habits of the neighbourhood cats and we have not needed to use it this year. If you give this a trial on your borders you may find it works in the same way.

Sorry but I just can't hold back a rant.
The 'animals' that cause me the most work in my garden and leave me picking up their rubbish are the 'pets' who should have been trained better by their keepers. I live near to both a senior and junior school and the amount of litter generated by the children walking to these schools needs to be seen to be believed. How many of you have children? Do you ever find empty crisp and sweet wrappers in their pockets? If not where are they putting their litter, their 'droppings' are certainly not going in the bins provided by my council.