PDA

View Full Version : Slow Internet Downloads

hebda
21-06-2007, 18:18
Could someone please look at my cable modem log and tell me if the specs look ok as the last few days i have been getting a max download speed of 60kb and i pay for the 2meg service, understand it could be the new download rules but i haven't downloaded much over the last few days.

Thanks

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 30
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.0 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

homealone
21-06-2007, 19:24
hi :welcome:

if you look here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/430166-post1.html

there are some ideas if the sort of levels you should be getting for a good connection - tbh, yours don't look too bad - what modem do you have?

hebda
21-06-2007, 19:50
It's the NTL 250 could be a problem in my area Huddersfield then or traffic shaping but even if you do go over daily limit surely i should be capped to around 1mb.

homealone
21-06-2007, 20:28
It's the NTL 250 could be a problem in my area Huddersfield then or traffic shaping but even if you do go over daily limit surely i should be capped to around 1mb.

I doubt it is shaping, which would be 1Mb in your case, as you say.

Given that, the levels being reasonable and the NTL250 being more than capable of 2Mb it does sound like a problem elsewhere...

- exactly what that problem could be, is where it gets difficult, unfortunately...

How are you measuring the speed, btw?

Nedkelly
21-06-2007, 20:47
Talking to my manager there has been big problems in hudersfield as the fault rate has shot up .As for the levels they look ok ,do a tracert to see where the lag is :)

hebda
22-06-2007, 09:47
Thank you for the help and replies much appreciated.

As for measuring the speed i have tried various downloads from Microsofts site, speedtest sites eg robin.d.h.walker speed test, which all seem to be around the same below what i should be getting.

Sorry but how would i do a 'tracert'?

Thanks,

Marc

Mick Fisher
22-06-2007, 19:40
Sorry but how would i do a 'tracert'?

Thanks,

Marc
Click "Start" select "Run" type in "CMD" in the screen that appears type "Tracert" "Space" "either the url or the IP of the site you are interested in" Now hit "enter"
All without the quotes and the "space" is what you get by tapping the space bar. :)