PDA

View Full Version : The "I wonder if it's possible to..." thread

Sirpingalot
20-06-2007, 23:35
I wonder if it's possible to take the cpu, gpu etc out of my Xbox 360 and make it run windows....

Your turn.

v0id
21-06-2007, 00:39
you want to try and run windows on a machne without a CPU? :|

AntiSilence
21-06-2007, 00:50

:D:D

Druchii
21-06-2007, 00:58
Maybe he wants to run it without a motherboard? :p:

Sirpingalot
21-06-2007, 01:02
Something like that xD. Go away for picking at my mistakes. :D

Druchii
21-06-2007, 01:03
I wonder if it's possible to survive on £1,600 for 3 Months in Oslo, Norway, paying 1/4 of the normal rent, whilst still needing to buy furniture...

Let's find out, 27 days to go!

joglynne
21-06-2007, 01:47
I wonder if it's possible to ever get through to my technophobic husband that he needs to press the DVI button on the TV remote control. :D

popper
21-06-2007, 02:07
I wonder if it's possible to survive on £1,600 for 3 Months in Oslo, Norway, paying 1/4 of the normal rent, whilst still needing to buy furniture...

Let's find out, 27 days to go!

with a quick search it doesnt look good
http://www.uio.no/english/student_life/budget.html
"New international students often complain about the high prices of goods and services in Norway. Norway is an expensive country and it takes a while before one gets used to the high cost of living.

You will need a minimum of NOK 8 000 per month in order to cover basic expenses. During your first semester, you must be prepared to use a substantial amount of money for setting up your household and for buying suitable clothing for the Norwegian climate."...

Druchii
21-06-2007, 02:17
with a quick search it doesnt look good
http://www.uio.no/english/student_life/budget.html
"New international students often complain about the high prices of goods and services in Norway. Norway is an expensive country and it takes a while before one gets used to the high cost of living.

You will need a minimum of NOK 8 000 per month in order to cover basic expenses. During your first semester, you must be prepared to use a substantial amount of money for setting up your household and for buying suitable clothing for the Norwegian climate."...
I know, but i will have some people out there willing to help, and of course, as long as i get a job, i should be fine ;) Also, 2 of the people i'm working closely with actually teach at the University of Oslo, so i should be able to hear about possible job openings, if i wish to take out the trash or something :p:

I do have access to another 2k at a push, so i should be okay. I just don't want to dip into savings properly for this unless i need to. (High interest account cancellation etc...)

popper
21-06-2007, 02:31
I wonder if it's possible to take the cpu, gpu etc out of my Xbox 360 and make it run windows....

Your turn.
questions are aways interesting ,even if you thought it cant be done ;) ,the 360 and the PS3 both run PPC CPU's so its going to be tuff.

you can always run it in emulation although its slow right now and easyer on the ps3 as you can install linux.
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=260765

OC, if you can get your hands on the original windows NT , that WAS ported to the PPC CPU, so you could always try that, or convince MS to run it through their compilers and have it produce the PPC version for the xbox360, you can be sure someone inside MS and access to the codebase will have already tryed it for giggles.

---------- Post added at 02:31 ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 ----------

I know, but i will have some people out there willing to help, and of course, as long as i get a job, i should be fine ;) Also, 2 of the people i'm working closely with actually teach at the University of Oslo, so i should be able to hear about possible job openings, if i wish to take out the trash or something :p:

I do have access to another 2k at a push, so i should be okay. I just don't want to dip into savings properly for this unless i need to. (High interest account cancellation etc...)

the fact you said 'whilst still needing to buy furniture...' gave me an idea, you might try (seeing as you have some time yet before you go), and get hold of the local ex-pats in the area your going, and see if you can track down the local church shops, they usually have furniture you can buy.

the older ex-pats will be full of cost saving idea's and what have you and you might make a few new friends of the older set and lern a thing or two ;), you might even start your own small scale computer classes and introduce them to the net, and finance some of your kit and costs that way.

Druchii
21-06-2007, 02:35
questions are aways interesting ,even if you thought it cant be done ;) ,the 360 and the PS3 both run PPC CPU's so its going to be tuff.

you can always run it in emulation although its slow right now and easyer on the ps3 as you can install linux.
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=260765

OC, if you can get your hands on the original windows NT , that WAS ported to the PPC CPU so you caould always try that, or convince MS to run it through their compilers and have it produce the PPC version for the xbox360, you can be sure someone inside MS and access to the codebase will have already tryed it for giggles.

---------- Post added at 02:31 ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 ----------

the fact you said 'whilst still needing to buy furniture...' gave me an idea you might try seing as you have some time yet before you go, try and get hold of the local ex-pats in the area your going and see if you can track down the local church shops, they usually have furniture you can buy.

the older ex-pats will be full of cost saving idea's and what have you and you might make a few new friends of the older set and lern a thing or two ;)
Makes sense, as does finn.no, a place where people literally give things away for free. At the least all i need is a bed though.Not a brill standard of living, but i'm sure it will be better than that considering i am moving in with the girlfriend as well as 2 others. (I can steal half her wardrobe etc...) And then just buy the little bit of furniture we may need, or of course get it free if it's going on finn.no

ex-pats? What are they then? Sorry i'm being dumb, but to me it sounds like old people? :s

popper
21-06-2007, 02:52
I wonder if it's possible to ever get through to my technophobic husband that he needs to press the DVI button on the TV remote control. :D

there doesnt seem to be much of anything to help cure technophobic husband's :shocked:

---------- Post added at 02:52 ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 ----------

Makes sense, as does finn.no, a place where people literally give things away for free. At the least all i need is a bed though.Not a brill standard of living, but i'm sure it will be better than that considering i am moving in with the girlfriend as well as 2 others. (I can steal half her wardrobe etc...) And then just buy the little bit of furniture we may need, or of course get it free if it's going on finn.no

ex-pats? What are they then? Sorry i'm being dumb, but to me it sounds like old people? :s

lol, not to worry everyone needs to learn something new every day..

it just means people that have moved for instance out of the Uk to permanently live in norway or anywere else in the world, they will know how hard it can be when you first start out in a new country and so will also have some of the answers you might need to know for your 3 month stay, and speak english so thats easyer ;) have a read of this i found
http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-norway-currency-costs
it might give you some idea's, and dont forget even old people can be fun,and know lots of stuff, although expats dont need to be old...:disturbd:

skyblueheroes
21-06-2007, 07:47
I wonder if its possible to find a decently paid job the San Jose, San Francisco area - enough to move ?!

ladyboy
21-06-2007, 07:57
i wonder if its possible for my girlfriend to buy enough toilet paper to last a month.we got about 100 rolls.for once................

punky
21-06-2007, 09:17

Your turn.

You can't. The GPU is built into the motherboard, so there's no detachable graphics card that you can move into a Windows box.

Also, the CPU isn't an x86 (like normal PCs), its actually a PowerPC (Like older Macs). So Windows isn't compatible with the CPU. The first Xbox360 demo machines were actual Macs.

I wonder if its possible to create a massive floatilla of algae/plants/whatever in the middle of the pacific to convert the carbon dioxide to oxygen :scratch:

MadGamer
21-06-2007, 09:43
I wonder if its possible for my parents to actually do things for themselves rather than me having to do things for them all the time (i.e look online for info when they're stuck using Windows or read instructions of how to load music onto their iPods)

popper
21-06-2007, 09:44
You can't. The GPU is built into the motherboard, so there's no detachable graphics card that you can move into a Windows box.

Also, the CPU isn't an x86 (like normal PCs), its actually a PowerPC (Like older Macs). So Windows isn't compatible with the CPU. The first Xbox360 demo machines were actual Macs.

I wonder if its possible to create a massive floatilla of algae/plants/whatever in the middle of the pacific to convert the carbon dioxide to oxygen :scratch:
Yes it is.
http://gosouthamerica.about.com/od/topdestlaketiticaca/ss/FloatingIslands.htm
"

These floating islands are the home of the Uros tribe, one which pre-dates the Incan civilization.

According to their legends, they existed before the sun, when the earth was still dark and cold.

Because of their simple and precarious lifestyle, the Incas thought them worth little and accordingly taxed them very little.

Yet the Uros, with their basic reed homes outlasted the mighty Incas with their huge stone temples and mountain-top enclaves."