PDA

View Full Version : Problem with installation

Nee Onions Mate
20-06-2007, 16:32
Hey,

I am trying to set up a friends virgin internet connection. They only got the cable modem put in yesterday, so i've been trying to set up the connection with the CD that is given.

I've just been following the instuctions on it (plugging in modem, then connecting ethernet cable etc) and everytime I try I get a problem with getting an IP address. The message given is something like "Unable to renew IP Address from the server (DHCP)".

Now none of us are very computer literate, so it may be something simple. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

P.S. I have tried disconnecting cables and turning power off a few times.

joglynne
20-06-2007, 17:12
Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

I may be a wimp but when I had similar problems a few weeks ago helping a friend set up his BB I phoned 151 and a really helpful guy talked us through the set up step by step. At least that way I felt that we had someone with us who knew what they were doing. :D

Graham M
20-06-2007, 17:18
Hey,

I am trying to set up a friends virgin internet connection. They only got the cable modem put in yesterday, so i've been trying to set up the connection with the CD that is given.

I've just been following the instuctions on it (plugging in modem, then connecting ethernet cable etc) and everytime I try I get a problem with getting an IP address. The message given is something like "Unable to renew IP Address from the server (DHCP)".

Now none of us are very computer literate, so it may be something simple. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

P.S. I have tried disconnecting cables and turning power off a few times.

I'd ring support, it's entirely possible the Modem needs registering, on the other hand it could be broken!

Nee Onions Mate
20-06-2007, 17:38
Cheers, will try the support. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something really stupid.

Nedkelly
20-06-2007, 17:42
When you plug the modem in to the pc and go to network connections does it give you a ip .When using the disc how far does it get to .Also have you tried manullay reg the modem 80.5.178.26 :)

grabbi
20-06-2007, 23:30
I'd ring support, it's entirely possible the Modem needs registering, on the other hand it could be broken!

That should be it.

I was lucky, I had a 2Mb connection already...