PDA

View Full Version : 'S' becomes 'sh'....

Russ
20-06-2007, 15:35
I read about this on another forum and was glad I did as I was starting to think I was the only one who noticed it....

I've noticed that when pronouncing words which begin 'st...', some people turn the 's' in to 'sh', so "student" becomes "shtudent", "stupid" becomes "shtupid" etc - anyone else noticed?

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-06-2007, 15:37
Could be messy telling your dog to SIT

Russ
20-06-2007, 15:39
Read it again - I said words which start "st" :angel:

danielf
20-06-2007, 15:39
I blame the Grolsch adverts. (Shtop. This blue movie isn't ready yet)

Shaun
20-06-2007, 15:54
Liam Conner in Corrie does it when the letter c is in a word too. One example is Janish instead of Janice

Chris W
20-06-2007, 15:58
Liam Conner in Corrie does it when the letter c is in a word too. One example is Janish instead of Janice

I believe that is a speech impediment rather than a mispronunciation though.

Stuart
20-06-2007, 16:01
/looks at Forum id.

Russ
20-06-2007, 16:02
I believe that is a speech impediment rather than a mispronunciation though.

I want to make it clear that I'm not talking about speech impediments but those who do it deliberately for whatever reason.

Xaccers
20-06-2007, 16:11
Like saying Ax instead of Ask?
I refuse to acknowledge it until they say it properly, appart from when it's a language thing, for instance on of the Liberians I worked with had problems saying sk, instead going for ks. Used to make us laugh when he would phone clients to tell them their disks weren't big enough :rofl:

Chris W
20-06-2007, 16:11
I want to make it clear that I'm not talking about speech impediments but those who do it deliberately for whatever reason.

which is why i pointed out the difference between Shaun's example (speech impediment) and your example (mispronunciation).

I think i do it... probably something to do with regional accents

Chris
20-06-2007, 16:30
It's bladdy sathan towk, innit? They've been tawkin laik tha' evva since Grange bladdy Hiw, avvant they? Bladdy shchuupid, if you arsc me.

Russ
20-06-2007, 16:59
:D

Chris W
20-06-2007, 17:08
It's bladdy sathan towk, innit? They've been tawkin laik tha' evva since Grange bladdy Hiw, avvant they? Bladdy shchuupid, if you arsc me.

aye but we cannae change the way we speak lad

;)

ladyboy
20-06-2007, 19:44
you guys are hilarous.

Cobbydaler
20-06-2007, 19:54
A lot of people round my neck of the woods substitute kk for tt...

e.g. bokkle, likkle

Seems very strange to me, but then I'm a southern softy export... :)

Theodoric
20-06-2007, 20:20
All words beginning with st are pronounced sht in standard German. Perhaps it's just something that some speakers of Germanic languages find easier. A pure guess on my part, of course.

Alien
20-06-2007, 22:44
A lot of people round my neck of the woods substitute kk for tt...

e.g. bokkle, likkle
I think it probably started with immigrants of afro-carribean origin, for whom it was just a by-product of their accent/dialect. Then stupid chavs latched on to them as the latest thing to copy. :rolleyes:

multiskilled
20-06-2007, 22:48
Just had the regional accent problem today.I was waiting at some traffic lights in Newcastle upon Tyne,when a white van pulled up next to me and the passenger shouts over " Oi mate how far is it to Eton"
I nearly said "about 300 miles" when I realised he was speaking estuary English and meant Heaton a suburb of Newcastle about 2miles away. :)

Cobbydaler
20-06-2007, 22:52
I think it probably started with immigrants of afro-carribean origin, for whom it was just a by-product of their accent/dialect. Then stupid chavs latched on to them as the latest thing to copy. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid at least one of my colleagues with this affectation (affliction?) is 100% anglo-saxon with a scientific degree... ;)

He's far from a stupid chav... :erm:

Alien
20-06-2007, 23:16
I'm afraid at least one of my colleagues with this affectation (affliction?) is 100% anglo-saxon with a scientific degree... ;)

He's far from a stupid chav... :erm:
Yeah, but it's 1 of those annoying meme things. Chavs getting & passing on the meme makes it more widespread, increasing the chance of non-chavs being exposed to the meme. Then it's just a question of whether the "non-chav" perceives anything about the chav infected with the meme as cool [such as the chav having more friends/girlfriends than the non-chav], resulting in the non-chav copying aspects of the chav to increase his/her "coolness" [at least in their own mind].

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-06-2007, 23:16
Read it again - I said words which start "st" :angel:

whoopss got confused by the title ;)

TheNorm
20-06-2007, 23:20
Didn't (doesn't?) Sean Connery turn "s" into "sh"?

The namsh Bond, Jamsh Bond...

Cobbydaler
20-06-2007, 23:22
Yeah, but it's 1 of those annoying meme things. Chavs getting & passing on the meme makes it more widespread, increasing the chance of non-chavs being exposed to the meme. Then it's just a question of whether the "non-chav" perceives anything about the chav infected with the meme as cool [such as the chav having more friends/girlfriends than the non-chav], resulting in the non-chav copying aspects of the chav to increase his/her "coolness" [at least in their own mind].

Well, I'll have to ask him which chav circles he frequents...

I've known him for 13 years, he's in his 40s & he's always had that affectation. Long before chavs were invented... :shrug:

Alien
20-06-2007, 23:42

I've known him for 13 years, he's in his 40s & he's always had that affectation. Long before chavs were invented... :shrug:
Before there were chavs there were "wiggas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigga)" [white guys who copy everything black people do, often employing stereotypical "black" behaviours/mannerisms more than the people they're supposedly emulating http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alien42/smilies/rasta.gif].

joglynne
21-06-2007, 03:42
I had an afro perm in the far distant past. Would that mean I used to be a Wiggette. I've always secretly hankered to be a member of a subculture.:D

Living on a route to our local comprehensive I often hear snatches of conversation when the darlings talk at 50 decibels as they walk past my workroom. It's like listening to a foreign language at times, it's as though they are speaking in text. I just wish they would Shhhhhhhhhhush.

xpod
22-06-2007, 23:01
Didn't (doesn't?) Sean Connery turn "s" into "sh"?

The namsh Bond, Jamsh Bond...

Us Scots dinnae spoke proper England at the best o times;)

dontpannic
25-06-2007, 12:53
I read about this on another forum and was glad I did as I was starting to think I was the only one who noticed it....

I've noticed that when pronouncing words which begin 'st...', some people turn the 's' in to 'sh', so "student" becomes "shtudent", "stupid" becomes "shtupid" etc - anyone else noticed?

I can see your point but if you say what you see, you sound like a cockney. Schtupid becomes stoopid, then its even worse!! :)

TheDaddy
25-06-2007, 12:58

Has he got children, they might have exposed him to infection :Yikes:

Jules
25-06-2007, 13:54
Seems it is a new fad among the young "innit" :dozey: