PDA

View Full Version : Hancock Ad Banned...

Cobbydaler
20-06-2007, 06:26
Don't (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6220684.stm) go to work on an egg...

"The concept of eating eggs every day for breakfast goes against what is now the generally accepted advice of a varied diet and we therefore could not approve the ads for broadcast."

Tinky
20-06-2007, 07:50
Well how weird, what have they got against eggs? I could see the point if the ad said 'go to work every day on an egg'. Personally I would have loved to have seen an advert with Hancock in it, a very underrated commedian IMHO. Feeling hungry now, think I'll go and boil a few!

r1ch
20-06-2007, 07:51
How ridiculous. What sort of nanny state are we living in nowadays?

Osem
20-06-2007, 08:22
Look people don't you realise that we're living in dangerous times? According to the latest FMD (food of mass destruction) dossier from highly trusted and verifiable sources, eggs have been shown to be a major threat to public safety on a level with that of Al Queda. In fact, some experts believe the hand of Osama Bin Laden may be behind this grave threat and that Tony Hancock was a highly placed Al Queda operative.

Now of course the authorities don't wish to unduly alarm the public but balancing this ethos with the need to ensure national safety is extremely difficult. Although the official sources can't be revealed for security reasons, we do all have to accept that 'Going to Work on an Egg' represents a clear and present danger to this nation and as such every effort must be made to protect the public.

I therefore urge anyone who has any information (however trivial it may seem) relating to the possible misuse of eggs not to panic but to contact the security services as soon as possible! Furthermore, anyone who spots a suspicious looking egg whilst going about their daily business should remain calm, clear the area and alert the authorities immediately.

:)

joglynne
20-06-2007, 08:49
Originally by Osem. >>I therefore urge anyone who has any information (whoever trivial it may seem) relating to the possible misuse of eggs not to panic but to contact the security services as soon as possible!

Have you got their phone number? The Organic Veg & Egg man is due soon and I don't feel safe opening my door to him. He must have hundreds of eggs all just sitting in his van waiting to be released on an unsuspecting nation. Just goes to show, you can't trust anyone these days, and I used to think he was such a nice man.:D

Stuart
20-06-2007, 09:15
"The concept of eating eggs every day for breakfast goes against what is now the generally accepted advice of a varied diet and we therefore could not approve the ads for broadcast."

Fine. So they are also going to ban ads for Heinz Baked Beans, Snickers, Mars, Cornflakes, Special K, Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Coke, Pepsi and all other food/drink manufacturers? 'cause for the above to be true, they need to.

Chris
20-06-2007, 09:26
An idiotic decision by a cabal of low-grade petty bureaucrats. I suspect even they realise they made a bad call by now, but just can't bring themselves to admit it and do an about turn.

Osem
20-06-2007, 09:33
Useless quangos and inept bureaucrats - a major UK growth sector if ever there was one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4255709.stm

TheDaddy
20-06-2007, 09:38
Personally I would have loved to have seen an advert with Hancock in it, a very underrated commedian IMHO.

Luckily the internet is above such nannying ;)

http://www.gotoworkonanegg.co.uk/

zing_deleted
20-06-2007, 09:43
So there only ground for this is lack of a varied diet. I thought a balanced diet was the most important. BK one day KFC another Pizza hut the next Subway etc is varied but still bad for you. You need a balance of protein carbs and fats along with vitamins minerals and fibre(consisting of fruits and vegetables). So Eating an egg or 2 day imo could still be part of a healthy balanced diet.

Sorry to have gone all serious ;)

TheDaddy
20-06-2007, 10:29
You need a balance of protein carbs and fats along with vitamins minerals and fibre(consisting of fruits and vegetables). So Eating an egg or 2 day imo could still be part of a healthy balanced diet.

I quite agree, aren't eggs one of those 'super foods'. Even if they aren't:

British Egg Information Service spokesperson Amanda Cryer said: "We have been shocked by this ruling as eggs are a healthy, natural food which are recommended by nutritionists."

"What's more, there are no restrictions on the number of eggs people can eat, which was recently confirmed by the Food Standards Agency, and between five and seven eggs a week would be totally acceptable for most people."

Ms Cryer added: "In addition, many other advertisers clearly promote their products to be eaten every day such as breakfast cereals so we are very surprised that eggs have been singled out in this way."

Why ban the adverts then?

zing_deleted
20-06-2007, 11:13
Cuz they just wanna stick there noses in. Look at what happened 25 or so years ago all the fears of animal fats in the diet so they replaced it with something 10x plus worse with transfats. I personally think its a way to get funding. 1 dept wants some cash so they research some bobbins and come up with nonsense which gets them some cash

look at the special K drop a jean size. Eat a bowl for breakfast a bowl for lunch and a proper dinner surely under the same rulings this should be banned.
IMO more research should be done into danger foods like hydrogenated veg oil and the addictive effects of monosodium glutimate instead of aiming at something that natural. Most foods we eat that isnt in its natural form is full of additives and chemicals these imo are more dangerous than a few eggs

Uncle Peter
20-06-2007, 11:46
As you are undoubtedly more likely to be killed in a car accident than by eating an egg it may also be prudent to ban car insurance adverts... only certain ones of course ;)

LSainsbury
20-06-2007, 12:16
I went to work on an egg once, but I kept falling off...

Julian
20-06-2007, 12:18
Since eggs are the preferred weapon of anti government minister protestors, this ban has come from the very top.

The mere mention of their existance serves to create a threat to national security.

Xaccers
20-06-2007, 12:22
Since eggs are the preferred weapon of anti government minister protestors, this ban has come from the very top.

The mere mention of their existance serves to create a threat to national security.

We'll just have to resort to throwing tomatoes instead (preferably still in their tin)

joglynne
20-06-2007, 15:31
I went to work on an egg once, but I kept falling off...

I hope that it was hard boiled. If it had cracked the yolk would have been on you.:)

Cobbydaler
20-06-2007, 18:30
I hope that it was hard boiled. If it had cracked the yolk would have been on you.:)

Om-e-letting you get away with that one Jo...

Any more like it though & the punstabulary will be feeling your collar! ;)

joglynne
20-06-2007, 23:50
Om-e-letting you get away with that one Jo...

Any more like it though & the punstabulary will be feeling your collar! ;)

Nah Cobby, the punstabulary aren't hard boiled enough to scramble around trying to catch me. :D