PDA

View Full Version : First setup of Virgin BB. Question!

kaydee
19-06-2007, 21:24
Got Virgin TV, Phone and BB installed on Saturday. I haven't got round to using the BB yet due to not having a working pc. I will have this weekend though and just wondered what I need to activate it. I remember from my sisters install, she had to put in some details via the install cd to activate it. Virgin Media have only supplied me with a telephone number and pin number (for ondemand) so far. I've gotten no welcome pack or any thing! Although the Virgin guy did leave a install cd. So pretty much, what I need to know is, do I need any thing more than my phone number and pin number to activate it?

Thanks!

cimt
19-06-2007, 21:27
You should of got a install disc for your modem if I remember correctly?

Halcyon
19-06-2007, 21:28
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums.

You do not need to use the setup CD.

Just follow the following instructions:

1. Plug in the modem and switch it on.
Wait for the lights to settle down. Usually takes about a minute.
(If you are going through a router, turn that on now)

2. Make sure the ethernet cable is attached to your PC and boot up your computer.

3. Open your Internet browser and it should auto redirect to the registeration page.

If that fails, do this:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

kaydee
19-06-2007, 21:29
You should of got a install disc for your modem if I remember correctly?

I got the install disc, which is for activation. I just need to know what details I need for when I go to do the activation as I want to call Virgin if I need any thing I don't already have.

xspeedyx
19-06-2007, 21:29
First of all use ur ethernet cbl to connect and the only info u need is when u wanna set up ur email which tech support can give u you really dont need the cd just plug it all in and reboot and should be find mate any probs just call 151 and choose opt 3

kaydee
19-06-2007, 21:37
Hi there and :welcome: to the forums.

You do not need to use the setup CD.

Just follow the following instructions:

1. Plug in the modem and switch it on.
Wait for the lights to settle down. Usually takes about a minute.
(If you are going through a router, turn that on now)

2. Make sure the ethernet cable is attached to your PC and boot up your computer.

3. Open your Internet browser and it should auto redirect to the registeration page.

If that fails, do this:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94/33602415-how-set-up-your-ntl-broadband.html

That info is very usefull. However what I really need to know is what details do I need for the activation, once I am on the autoreg page? The only thing I have so far is my phone number and pin number (which is for ondemand... so not even sure if I'll need this for activation!).

I'm buying a PC on friday and want to make sure I have all the details I need so I am not without BB over the weekend. I'm worried that I'll need other details, such as an activiation pin or account number and have to wait a few days for this to come by post once I call Virgin on friday (if I don't realise I need it before then), hence this post.

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear guys!

flowrebmit
19-06-2007, 22:23
To register your broadband without the CD, you'll need:

Serial number.
Your Surname.
PIN

Your letter will probably turn up within the next few days - so probably before you buy your new PC. The VM installer left me an install CD with my PIN written on enclosed booklet.

You can call CS for this information, if you get your PC before the letter arrives.

hairy_mick
19-06-2007, 22:26
Kaydee you will need a pin number think its 8 digits this might be in the bb pack the tec left if not then ring cs on 150 if your pc is new and has vista installed then plug in your modem to pc open IE and type in the address bar 80.5.178.26 this should take you to reg page the next code to type in is ntl-ct8-cj486 this is for langley and bromley ie old ntl,cable and wireless. If you are ex telewest then ask cs what you need to do if your pc has xp then use the disc supplied hope this helps.

v0id
19-06-2007, 22:29
>>snip<<

If that fails, do this:

This only applies if you're in an ex NTL area.

If you're self installing in an ex telewest area, all you need is the modem MAC address, and phone the quickstart [India] phone number in the welcome pack