PDA

View Full Version : Add phone extension

jonathen
19-06-2007, 13:53
Hi guys,

I wonder if you can help me. I've had Virgin/Telewest for years, but have now cancelled the TV (keeping broadband & phone) as it's rubbish, and I will have sky installed tomorrow. Trouble is, they want a phone line to connect the box to. I have only one line installed and it's in another room to the TV and the main cable box and splitter.

Out of the sloped white Telewest box on the wall (which connects to the splitter for the coaxial connections for broadband and TV), the basic phone cable comes out and goes to the phone socket.

Can I (theoretically of course) undo this box, disconnect the phone cable, and reconnect it with another phone cable (so in essence, double-up) and run this to another socket? I have another socket, the relevant cable and connectors. I just need to know if this is possible, and if so, what the colour combinations would be.

Thanks
Jon

MovedGoalPosts
19-06-2007, 13:57
If you are talking of the master phone socket, then no you shouldn't touch that.

Can you not just get one of the premade extension leads, and a doubler plug, commonly available in the DIY shops?

jonathen
19-06-2007, 16:10
Hi Rob, and thanks for the reply. No, I don't wish to mess with the master socket - the master socket is connected to the junction box, right? Well out of that same junction box I want to run another socket. Thanks.

Nedkelly
19-06-2007, 17:54
Sky should run you a ext socket from the master or nearest ext socket :)

papa smurf
19-06-2007, 18:37
someone correct me if i am wrong ..but every time you press interactive you will be running up your phone bill

multiskilled
19-06-2007, 23:14
someone correct me if i am wrong ..but every time you press interactive you will be running up your phone bill

No the interactive is downloaded from satellite you only use your phone line when ordering ppv films,voting for reality shows,email (not sure if they still do that though)or any service involving a charge.
Though they do poll your box every now and then to find out what you've been watching(for advertising revenue statistics pretty sure virgin do that as well).

Graham M
19-06-2007, 23:50
Though they do poll your box every now and then to find out what you've been watching(for advertising revenue statistics pretty sure virgin do that as well).

Probably, but VM have a 2 way communication (Return Path) over the same cable whereas the same can't be done with Sky so they require a phone connection.

PS1
21-06-2007, 19:58
As nedkelly said its part of the sky installation to connect your sky box(interactive) to a phone socket.:tu:

Nedkelly
21-06-2007, 20:35
They should take the feed from a socket how many times to they go into the omnii box and cut the wires and tape the cables to gether :mad:

mmm
22-06-2007, 10:16
The NTL master phone socket should be an NTE5 compatible device with removable lower section which can be used to connect extensions - mine is. Then for fault finding it is easy to disconnect extensions and just connect to master 'test socket'.

PS1
22-06-2007, 18:07
They should take the feed from a socket how many times to they go into the omnii box and cut the wires and tape the cables to gether :mad:

indeed,but i wonder how many of them actually know how to run an ext. the correct way:dunce: