PDA

View Full Version : Latency issues

Sirpingalot
18-06-2007, 23:29
After recently moving house (From NTL network to Telewest), I've noticed slight issues with my latency; it's nothing massive but whereas before on a UK hl2dm server I could achieve pings of 5-15ms, the best I get now ranges from 20 - 40ms. Where it really shows, is on the distant servers...it renders some servers that were once playable, unplayable. :/

One odd thing I have noticed though, is that while playing on my laptop pings are much lower than on my desktop system (On the same server 7-9ms on laptop & 25-35ms on desktop).

The RWIN on my Vista laptop is 183000, and on my XP desktop 64000. I have however upgraded my computer scince I was with NTL (ASrock mobo & ethernet controller), but surely this wouldn't have an impact on performance?

I've attempted to fiddle with my RWIN values using DRTCP, but it doesn't appear to change the configuration at all.

Any help would be appreciated,

Michael

JackSon
18-06-2007, 23:55
Springalot! Thought you died :)

You traced routes to these servers since moving house?

Sirpingalot
19-06-2007, 03:20
Not quite dead yet. :)

I haven't traced any routes to these servers yet...I'm not too sure of how to get the IP...maybe I just haven't been looking for it. I just find it so weird the way one computer can give you different latency to another :S

Uncle Peter
19-06-2007, 11:41
Possibly an issue with desktop firewall software or CPU usage perhaps? CPU would potentially be a factor with these embedded ethernet controllers.

dev
19-06-2007, 12:01
is this a true ping or the in game ones?

Sirpingalot
20-06-2007, 00:22
It's an in-game ping. To be fair, when I ping www.bbc.co.uk I get 17ms, which is the same as what I got from my previous line...but there must be a factor in this that I'm missing. Oh, my ping in games is a lot more stable...sometimes it can stay at 30ms for an hour...almost like it's actually bellow that but something is stopping it.