PDA

View Full Version : Webstar Cable Modem DPX110 - Disconnecting

Cadbury
18-06-2007, 13:12
Been with blueyonder/Virgin Media for years now, and I've had this problem for years but only now am I saying something. Anyway, I have a webstar cable modem dpx110, and whenever I download or open numerous web pages it has a tendency to cut off. It may be going a rate of 10kB/s and will stay connected and be fine. But as soon as it starts reaching high speeds like 70kB/s and above it's only a matter of time before it disconnects. This is annoying because I download a lot of stuff and like to leave my downloads on over night but I wake up in the morning to find it disconnected 10 minutes after I fell asleep. There's absolutely nothing wrong with computer, this modem has supplied connection to 3 computers now and has done the same thing with all of them.

I've tried searching for a solution on the internet and seems everyone with a DPX110 has the same problem but no-one has yet to fully diagnose or find a definite solution to the problem. And everyone who has had this problem who has tried to ring the broadband support said they just get a load of nonsense, and sometimes technicians are sent out, who don't even fix it. Or will only fix it temporarily.

So, does anyone no of a solution, or does anybody know what the problem definitely is? I'm no technician but from what I've read and my experience, it just seems to me that DPX110 are bad modems. And is it possible to ask Virgin Media for a new modem at no charge?

Paul K
18-06-2007, 13:26
Yep you can ring them and tell them the modem is faulty, you pay for renting a modem in your charges these days.

Cadbury
18-06-2007, 14:11
So, if I ring VM and say "Give me a new modem", they'll give me one? In very plain terms of course.

Paul K
18-06-2007, 14:32
No doubt you will need to perform some "diagnostics" but after that it should be plain sailing.