PDA

View Full Version : Interrupted Internet Connection

frankie500
18-06-2007, 10:14
Hi there first post here so bare with me...
Have been a cable customer for so many years now i cant remember how long for. Have had great service with only the minor ''to be expected'' problems once in a blue moon. For the past 3 months I have had to endure daily interruptions in my internet connection. Just fleeting like someone switching an on/off switch. I used to be able to go for days on end without any break in my service now it is becoming a real irritation to me. These happen either while I'm NOT at the computer, mid download or mid conversation etc. I have tried the system without the Netgear router & with it. I have phoned up Tech support in India on a couple of occasions who have went through our set up with me and they say all is fine with no issues either on the line or with setup. Okay so I reckon put up with it for a little while thinking maybe its because of the 20meg upgrades that this is happening so just grin and bear it for now, it will get better. But 2 months down the line with all patch cables replaced & 2 new network cards installed (just in case) the grin is starting to wain severely & god forbid last night i found myself actually considering going elsewhere for my internet before I slapped myself! :Yikes: Seriously though I know for 99% of people out there a daily 10 second break in service is so minor its laughable but for me its a major pain. I run a support group and often 'chat' to others. There is nothing more disconcerting when you are 'cut off' mid flow:mad:. I'm in the Ubr02.linl.blueyonder.co.uk area, using a Motorola sb5101E Surfboard with a yet to be upgraded 10meg connection. We are not 'greedy' user's and all computers are spy ware etc clean. On top of all this but not so much of an issue is our speed has also decreased somewhat. I could almost always be guaranteed my full bandwidth but now I feel honoured to get 50% of that. At one point a few weeks ago we were barely had dial up speeds for a period of 2 weeks which was to say the least unbearable. I'm lucky to get 70% of speed on rare occasions with it mostly hovering around 5meg on average.
Does anyone have any advice out there as to what is happening here. Is there work getting done? Is everyone experiencing the same locally or nationally? Is there going to be a resolution to it all if there is a problem out there or is the problem definitely my end OR am I just expecting too much for my connection to be 24/7 with no interruption whatsoever?? Any advice apart from change isp (I'm more than capable of making that decision myself thank you) would be appreciated.
Sorry for the sprawling post & many thanks in advance
Frankie
http://www.speedtest.net/result/141760124.png

jcardiff
18-06-2007, 10:28
the speed disturbances seem to be happening hear there and everywhere, in cardiff I have been told it has been down to oversubcription of the ubrs and that has been the case elsewhere but its also happening because of the upgrades in certain areas, there are probably more reasons as well.
if you put which area you are in someone locally may have more ideas
(apologies if you have done so and i've missed it).

however the disconnections sound like a symptom of something else ( I won't speculate as i'm no engineer )
and there will be someone along sooner or later who may have an idea there

Oh and welcome to the forum frankie500

frankie500
18-06-2007, 12:31
Thanks jcardiff for the welcome :)
Just the knowing that others may be experiencing the same would give some relief at least then i would know that there is a problem & with it a possible solution lol :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Got an engineer coming tomorrow morning to check out modem & connections. Will keep forum posted on outcome.

Thanks
Frankie

jcardiff
18-06-2007, 12:50
good luck

Richy99
18-06-2007, 12:51
the speed disturbances seem to be happening hear there and everywhere, in cardiff I have been told it has been down to oversubcription of the ubrs and that has been the case elsewhere but its also happening because of the upgrades in certain areas, there are probably more reasons as well.

which ubr you on ?

roland rat
18-06-2007, 21:23
im experiencing the same problem every now and then, i live in portsmouth.
Sometimes i cant connect to the internet at all, but i know my connectivity is still there as i can send and receive emails.

anyone got any ideas?

jcardiff
18-06-2007, 22:05
which ubr you on ?
cardiff cf24 but no need to try and help anyway as supposed to be disconnected by virgin now, had 4 engineers out (over space of 3 months now) who have seen the problem and acknowledge its the area as all the neighbours on virgin have the same problem apparently (quite possibly due to cf24 being student central)
virgin say it will be sorted when the upgrade comes in but after that was put back from may to june and then june to aug/sept it wasnt worth staying

bywater
18-06-2007, 23:22
:td:Was on the 2Mb service in Coventry. Have been constantly hitting 1Mb on that for a few weeks. Upgraded to 4Mb and now constantly at 2Mb. So basically had to upgrade and pay extra to get the speed I should have been getting in the first place so a tad p'd off at the moment. I seem to be on a permanant cap which is rather strange as I am a light user. Seemed to have occured around time of upgrades.

I may as well just go down the ADSL route now epsecially when the 25p per min tech calls come into play on July 1st. They think my Bt line will support up to about 4Mb or 8Mb with BE equipment and at £10 cheaper than VM I am on the verge of leaving. Discounts or no discounts.

frankie500
23-06-2007, 04:38
---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Got an engineer coming tomorrow morning to check out modem & connections. Will keep forum posted on outcome.

Thanks
Frankie

Update as promised albeit a little late.
According to engineer problem was possibly a blown amp in box at end of street. He redid connections outside house and said he would check out amps. Can only assume that he did find the problem as I have had a stable connection since. Thanks jcardiff and well done Virgin Media on getting this fixed.