PDA

View Full Version : VM finally admit to 20Mb speed issues

d.chatten
17-06-2007, 22:01
Well i've just looked on the service status page and found that VM have finally admitted to having speed issues with the 20Mb service, for anyone interested check the link below.

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do;jsessionid=AE1C95805CB77B177B6038F 44D3D724E.jsps304p:28009?ticket=481907

Hugh
17-06-2007, 22:02
Well spotted - here it is in full.
"Virgin media customers on the Broadband XL (20Meg) service might be experiencing slow speeds when downloading files. This issue is not affecting customers that have Scientific Atlanta or Motorola Cable modems. Our engineers are aware of this issue and will endeavour to resolve this as soon as possible. Virgin Media would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. "

Horace
17-06-2007, 23:48
Strange, I'm not experiencing any problems downloading with my non-Motorola/Scientific Atlanta Modem. Maybe some firmware problem with 120/200's?

popper
18-06-2007, 02:08
hence the 'might be experiencing slow speeds.'

Downloads
18-06-2007, 04:59
Well i've just looked on the service status page and found that VM have finally admitted to having speed issues with the 20Mb service, for anyone interested check the link below.

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/serviceissue.do;jsessionid=AE1C95805CB77B177B6038F 44D3D724E.jsps304p:28009?ticket=481907

Well done mate, great find. :tu:

spankysmagicpian
18-06-2007, 09:28
What manufacturer are behind the NTL250 modems? are they Ambit?

GPR
18-06-2007, 11:32
I have the NTL255 is this a Motorola/Scientific Atlanta Modem?

Stuart
18-06-2007, 11:36
The 250 and 255 are both Ambit modems (in fact the 255 is a 250 with no USB port).

nyawton
18-06-2007, 12:16
Yeah had engineer out last week for sakes of it, Knew my equipment was fine, Obviously a service issue,,,they even denied knowledge of the upgrades :s again had one out on sat just to tick the boxes and whooow all of a sudden they admit to me VM are having a majour problem with 20mbit service, He tried to explain it but basicly sounds like there trying to run before they can walk.....If the 50mb does come out anytime soon ill be running very fast in the oposite direction :Yikes:

slowcoach
18-06-2007, 13:05
If you dig deep into the new schedule you will see that there is a lot of upgrade work to be done to the UBR's in the coming weeks, some of the UBR upgrades are to areas which have already been upgraded to 20 Meg, perhaps the speed upgrade has highlighted the problem so that even a blind man can see it at last.
The UBR work and the new batch of DNS servers should reduce contention and lower ping's hopefully resulting in a much more responsive service all round.

bigcat
18-06-2007, 18:52
There are definite issues though with the Ambit 120/200 having the 20mbit config file, but only getting 10mbit, sometimes less.. (I've had this confirmed by a friend that still works for Virgin)

piggy
18-06-2007, 21:04
Yeah had engineer out last week for sakes of it, Knew my equipment was fine, Obviously a service issue,,,they even denied knowledge of the upgrades :s again had one out on sat just to tick the boxes and whooow all of a sudden they admit to me VM are having a majour problem with 20mbit service, He tried to explain it but basicly sounds like there trying to run before they can walk.....If the 50mb does come out anytime soon ill be running very fast in the oposite direction :Yikes:

had a engineer out for the sake of it!!!.......you sir are one that virgin media could do without:mad:

Edit Rob: inappropriate comments removed

domo247
18-06-2007, 21:17
I have 255 Virgin Media modem (the only relevant markings no manufacturer name)

I assuming that virgin just have to upgrade the firmware FTP style? An engineer won’t need to visit my house?

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

had a engineer out for the sake of it!!!.......you sir are one that virgin media could do without:mad:

Two engineers visited my house unrequested to check that 2 other engineers had fitted the equipment and laid the cable up to and round the house correctly.

I don’t actually think the engineers are that busy - there just fitters in the end of the day, so if they have no installations I doubt they have that much on.

Calling them out is not going to exacerbate the state of our internet connections.

And in the end of the day I don’t blame him he’s paying virgin a lot of money for misrepresented service they owe him the time.

Rik
18-06-2007, 22:08
I have an issue with my 20MB.
Its only running at 2.33MB/s tonight! ;)

horrorwood
18-06-2007, 23:41
I have an issue with my 20MB.
Its only running at 2.33MB/s tonight! ;)

I have the same problem. Who do i complain to?

r00t
18-06-2007, 23:44
Call up and demand we credit your account, threaten that you'll go to sky and we'll knock some money of your next bill ;)

Sorted
</joke>

nyawton
19-06-2007, 09:35

Well I pay VM £35 a month!!! I have a majour problem and to be quite honest the indian fella on the end of my 5+ Calls dont have a damm clue what to do!! He insists there is not an issue but im sat looking at a 200kbs download speed on a 20mb connection!!

At least having the engineer out for the sakes of it rules the slightest possibility of an issue at my side does it not???

I would be silly to sit and do nothing !

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

I have 255 Virgin Media modem (the only relevant markings no manufacturer name)

I assuming that virgin just have to upgrade the firmware FTP style? An engineer won’t need to visit my house?

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

Two engineers visited my house unrequested to check that 2 other engineers had fitted the equipment and laid the cable up to and round the house correctly.

I don’t actually think the engineers are that busy - there just fitters in the end of the day, so if they have no installations I doubt they have that much on.

Calling them out is not going to exacerbate the state of our internet connections.

And in the end of the day I don’t blame him he’s paying virgin a lot of money for misrepresented service they owe him the time.

Thanks pall. Even so now they admitted the problems wich they would of also known about at the time of the engineer vistet's
Your right there simply fitters but also good filters to relay a strong point back to vm for you.,,If they just said we have a issue that would be 2 engineer viset's saved ;)

MovedGoalPosts
19-06-2007, 09:44
Enough of the insults to each other. Some posts have been edited.

nyawton
19-06-2007, 09:54
Enough of the insults to each other. Some posts have been edited.

Thanks admin, Not what i was after doing ;)

ntluser
19-06-2007, 11:46
Can anyone name the model name & model numbers of reliable modems which give the best service please?

I'm new to the VIP package and have the 10Mb service using an NTL250 modem. It only provides about 7.5Mb - 8Mb at the moment but in July my local server upgrades to the 20Mb service which I will get by default as part of my package and I'm concerned that if the current model can't deliver 10Mb how will it fare trying to deliver 20Mb?

The engineer is coming to sort out my installation on Thursday so I'm hoping this will all be sorted.

nyawton
19-06-2007, 11:57
I have i belive a 255 modem will conferm this later... I had a 250 but it was swapped, To be honest im not sure if its just the re-brander vm model.. Will check.. I have been upgraded to 20mb and on a good day i pull 1.80 mb down.

ntluser
19-06-2007, 12:09
I have i belive a 255 modem will conferm this later... I had a 250 but it was swapped, To be honest im not sure if its just the re-brander vm model.. Will check.. I have been upgraded to 20mb and on a good day i pull 1.80 mb down.

Thanks for that. Sounds like VM need higher spec modems and that the system is probably overloaded.

I suspect there will be a lot of unhappy people out there.

Funny though that customers tend to find this stuff out about the performance of their service before VM. You do wonder what quality control measures they have in place to monitor the performance of customer systems.

I imagine they are snowed under with faults and complaints at the moment and they only have so many staff, so much money and so much working equipment to use to deal with the situation.Can't be a nice position to be in.

spankysmagicpian
19-06-2007, 12:23
Can anyone name the model name & model numbers of reliable modems which give the best service please?

I'm new to the VIP package and have the 10Mb service using an NTL250 modem. It only provides about 7.5Mb - 8Mb at the moment but in July my local server upgrades to the 20Mb service which I will get by default as part of my package and I'm concerned that if the current model can't deliver 10Mb how will it fare trying to deliver 20Mb?

The engineer is coming to sort out my installation on Thursday so I'm hoping this will all be sorted.

I'm on the 250 and I download at 1.17mb/s i.e. full pelt. I believe that the NTL 250s are capable of 38Mb so the problem will lie elsewhere. 8Mb could be your connection speed when you check. Mine is usually 9.42Mb but can vary between 3 (on a very bad day - happened a couple of times) and 9.42Mb.

Are you connected using USB / Ethernet or via a router? Ethernet is the best option for these higher speeds - I wouldn't really go with USB at all.

Yup - I'm in Manchester too and looking forward to the 20Mb.

nyawton
19-06-2007, 12:26
Yeah agreed, Although we had all this when they went from 3mb to 10 i think it was,, simaler problems, but i must admit NTL sorted it and all was happy ;) It does anoy me slighty that things havent obviously been tested correctly. And for all my ranting i still think they rule other other providors so fingeres crossed and hold on to ya seats lol :P

ntluser
19-06-2007, 12:53
I'm on the 250 and I download at 1.17mb/s i.e. full pelt. I believe that the NTL 250s are capable of 38Mb so the problem will lie elsewhere. 8Mb could be your connection speed when you check. Mine is usually 9.42Mb but can vary between 3 (on a very bad day - happened a couple of times) and 9.42Mb.

Are you connected using USB / Ethernet or via a router? Ethernet is the best option for these higher speeds - I wouldn't really go with USB at all.

Yup - I'm in Manchester too and looking forward to the 20Mb.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme Wireless Router which connects via the Ethernet socket. It does all the wireless standards a/b/g/n and my desktop and laptop both have gigabit LAN so I'm expecting it to really rock.

I use the Speedtest website and use the connection to the London server to test my speed in comparable way but the speed does vary.

Uncle Peter
19-06-2007, 12:59

I'm on an NTL250 here connected to Baguely and consistenly achieved 2MB/s+ down from a good server when the 20Mb trials were on a few months ago. It would appear however that this is one of the modems cited as having potential speed issues in the OP's original observation.

nyawton
19-06-2007, 14:02
Just checked mine is a 255,, This was put in by the last engineer. A black one branded VIrgin Media,, Think the 250 is blue.

spankysmagicpian
19-06-2007, 16:03
I'm on an NTL250 here connected to Baguely and consistenly achieved 2MB/s+ down from a good server when the 20Mb trials were on a few months ago. It would appear however that this is one of the modems cited as having potential speed issues in the OP's original observation.

Ooops, my mistake then. I thought reports had said they were OK. Sorry for any confusion,

Uncle Peter
19-06-2007, 16:10
Ooops, my mistake then. I thought reports had said they were OK. Sorry for any confusion,

Aye they're ambits as per Stuart C's previous post. No guarantee that you'll have a problem though as per the bulletin. Hopefully anyone affected can be sorted remotely or it's some kind of config issue at the cmts.

scoobydoo[uk]
19-06-2007, 18:34
Ive got a NTL branded ambit 120 does that mean ill have problems when im upgraded next month, or is it hit and miss. It currently maxes out my 10mb fine.

d.chatten
20-06-2007, 01:03
Well i was the one who started this thread so i thought i would drop in to see what was going on and to apologize for not reporting back.

Anyway it goes something like this, i had an engineer round this morning to check my connection for issues, as he was checking i mensioned that the speed issues had been reported on the service status page, he said he knew nothing about this and then went outside and rang his manager, he then came back in the house and told me that his manager has just confirmed there where speed issues with the 20Mb service, he then said that he had forgotten to check his e-mails and if he had of checked he would of known about it.

I also mensioned to the engineer that when i had contacted CS didn't have a second hand clue what was happening and that they didn't even know about the bulitin on the service status page, he replied saying, well they wouldn't know because it's not in the delli news is it, LOL

nyawton
20-06-2007, 10:53
Well i was the one who started this thread so i thought i would drop in to see what was going on and to apologize for not reporting back.

Anyway it goes something like this, i had an engineer round this morning to check my connection for issues, as he was checking i mensioned that the speed issues had been reported on the service status page, he said he knew nothing about this and then went outside and rang his manager, he then came back in the house and told me that his manager has just confirmed there where speed issues with the 20Mb service, he then said that he had forgotten to check his e-mails and if he had of checked he would of known about it.

I also mensioned to the engineer that when i had contacted CS didn't have a second hand clue what was happening and that they didn't even know about the bulitin on the service status page, he replied saying, well they wouldn't know because it's not in the delli news is it, LOL

Says it all dont it lol :erm: