PDA

View Full Version : blackpool

wwe
17-06-2007, 22:58
hi i live in blackpool but i allways bored what are the best things to do in blackpool what's the best places to go whats ur views on blackpool?

Mr_love_monkey
17-06-2007, 23:02
what's the best places to go.....
..must ... fight ... urge to answer 'Away from Blackpool.... ' :)

Mal
17-06-2007, 23:11
So, someone who lives in Blackpool, is asking people, who in the majority don't, what there is to do in Blackpool?

If you live there, you should know better than us ;)

wwe
17-06-2007, 23:12
So, someone who lives in Blackpool, is asking people, who in the majority don't, what there is to do in Blackpool?

If you live there, you should know better than us ;)

i know but i never find anything 2 do really this is why i asking

Mal
17-06-2007, 23:15
Well, there's the Pleasure Beach, the tower, a tramway, a waxwork museum... ;)

Jules
17-06-2007, 23:43
We went there on holiday last year and it was shut!!

yesman
17-06-2007, 23:45
:rofl:Maybe that is why the OP is bored (once again) :rolleyes:

homealone
18-06-2007, 00:05

think how much money you saved ;) :D

Uncle Peter
18-06-2007, 00:26
Quick bit of googling turned this up:

http://www.blackpoolmagic.com/

maybe they've got a few spells that'll make life a bit more interesting up there.

fireman328
18-06-2007, 05:50
If you were looking for somewhere to administer an enema, Blackpool would be the prime location.

skyblueheroes
18-06-2007, 07:22
Its a bit dirty and tacky and I wouldn't go for a family holiday, but its great for Stag Nights or weekends with the lads etc....

An image it probably needs to change.

lauzjp
18-06-2007, 07:40
my neighbour and a mate are planning to go there for a couple of weeks - omg it is so expensive to stay up there, even self catering. I have found one very cheap place at less than £100 a week per unit, every other place is £100 each!? I like blackpool, but then I am easily amused...

Tinky
18-06-2007, 09:28
I liked Blackpool, last time we were there 15 years ago, we stayed at the 3 star Imperial Hotel, very swish! However wouldn't advise going out of season, as everything is closed. Spent one very miserable New Year's Eve there in a B & B, everything was shut and we were obliged to bring in the New Year listening to Jim Reeves and watching the only two other residents, 2 gay lads, mooching around on the dance floor. :sleep: One thing that spoiled it for me, was all the discarded chewing gum that was trodden into the pavements, very unsightly. Has it changed much?

Julian
18-06-2007, 09:49
I got food poisoning in Blackpool, I'm sure it was the KFC I went to. ;)

fireman328
18-06-2007, 09:50
I liked Blackpool, last time we were there 15 years ago, we stayed at the 3 star Imperial Hotel, very swish! However wouldn't advise going out of season, as everything is closed. Spent one very miserable New Year's Eve there in a B & B, everything was shut and we were obliged to bring in the New Year listening to Jim Reeves and watching the only two other residents, 2 gay lads, mooching around on the dance floor. :sleep: One thing that spoiled it for me, was all the discarded chewing gum that was trodden into the pavements, very unsightly. Has it changed much?

No :D

Tinky
18-06-2007, 10:55
No :D

What a pity! That aside, anyone been on the Pepsi Max Big One?

joglynne
18-06-2007, 15:01
New York Times. ............Tacky, Wonderful Blackpool (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=travel&res=9F0DE6D61531F934A3575BC0A962958260)
If many foreign visitors envision England as a kind of giant heritage theme park, a green storybook landscape of neat hedgerows and castles and stately homes, Blackpool is the perfect antidote.

I enjoyed this report in the New York Times to-day.

superbiatch
18-06-2007, 15:12

Doesn't quite compare to oblivion or the like in alton towers :rolleyes:

pop80_uk
18-06-2007, 15:15
Well your username is WWE so I expect your into wrestling and there are lots of wrestling show in Blackpool, some good talent there. I believe William Regal started his training in Blackpool.

Jules
18-06-2007, 17:28
I am so glad I am not the only one that went there when it was closed! lol

LSainsbury
18-06-2007, 20:43
There is one great thing about Blackpool....

The Railway Station to get you the hell outa there!!

AntiSilence
18-06-2007, 21:05
Never been...

Cobbydaler
18-06-2007, 21:10

Well, the two gay lads grew up & got married (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41145000/jpg/_41145286_wave_ap.jpg)...

And research presented at the annual meeting of the British Psychological Society in Blackpool claimed that chewing gum improves your memory (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn2039)...

( But obviously not to the extent that you can remember where litter bins are... :erm: )

peanut
18-06-2007, 21:12
I used to live in Yarmouth, but luckily I did manage to escape. Yarmouth is a bad place, a ghost town in the winter, high unemployment, the usuals, it's tack with extra tack on top.

I've always thought Blackpool was simular to Yarmouth but with a better pleasure beach.

One thing though anyone who's lived in a seaside town never goes to the beach or go on a beach holiday (home or abroad).

Saying that, Yarmouth has it's chips and abundance of pubs so that's a good thing.

Tinky
19-06-2007, 08:20
Doesn't quite compare to oblivion or the like in alton towers :rolleyes:

Oblivion looks awesome, but I'd never have the nerve to go on it!

Never been...

Definitley worth a visit, especially during the illuminations, may go back myself one day.

Well, the two gay lads grew up & got married (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41145000/jpg/_41145286_wave_ap.jpg)...

If I knew it was them, one of them would have had to do his party piece lol!

( But obviously not to the extent that you can remember where litter bins are... :erm: )

What litter bins?

wwe
26-06-2007, 01:37
the weather in blackpool today has not been gd raining all day its not fair should be sunny

bw41101
26-06-2007, 01:56
I live in Blackpool and I'll let you into a little secret. They don't bury the dead in Blackpool - they stand them up in bus shelters :Yikes:

Si thee

danielf
26-06-2007, 02:03
the weather in blackpool today has not been gd raining all day its not fair should be sunny

In case you hadn't noticed: It's been ****ing down all over the UK for the past week. Three people died today (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6236348.stm) as a result of it.

Lord Nikon
26-06-2007, 23:50
my neighbour and a mate are planning to go there for a couple of weeks - omg it is so expensive to stay up there, even self catering. I have found one very cheap place at less than £100 a week per unit, every other place is £100 each!? I like blackpool, but then I am easily amused...

Hollywood Apartments, 2-4 wellington street, blackpool, 01253 341633
About 5 minutes walk from the center, just back of the promenade, between south pier and central pier which also places it in an ideal location for the sandcastle and pleasure beach, quiet enough not to disturb your sleep at nights, self catering with most things supplied (microwave, cooker, fridge freezer) friendly owners (try to get apartment 2 though, ground floor, no stairs to crawl up) and bring your own towels. I paid 120/week and it sleeps 3 in good comfort. TV With freeview for when it's raining, parking for 9 carsonly a couple of minutes walk from an Iceland express (who will deliver there if you spend over 25 on your shopping) a tesco express, and about a half dozen take aways including a KFC.

No internet access there, but you can always use your phone as a modem to get online if needed heh.

wilkie2
27-06-2007, 00:11
on the 15th of july Widnes vikings play Whitehaven at blackpools football ground in the northern rail cup final(rugby league)should be a good game,if you have never seen live rugby league before see if you can get there to watch you may enjoy it then you will have sunday afternoons sorted out as blackpool have a league team too and if you get the bug you can start watching them;)

Chris
27-06-2007, 12:48
hi i live in blackpool but i allways bored what are the best things to do in blackpool what's the best places to go whats ur views on blackpool?

The Flying Handbag?

greencreeper
28-06-2007, 00:40
We're going to be there at the weekend - small group of us. It's going to be a disaster - badly planned, badly organised, and it's forecast to rain heavy. Anyone know anywhere decent to eat? It's looking like McDonalds at the moment.

Chris
28-06-2007, 10:49
We're going to be there at the weekend - small group of us. It's going to be a disaster - badly planned, badly organised, and it's forecast to rain heavy. Anyone know anywhere decent to eat? It's looking like McDonalds at the moment.

It's been a long while since I was in Blackpool (and I've never actually been in the Flying Handbag, just walked past it a lot as I had two friends living nearby), but it is close to the main centre of town. As you leave the main door you're facing the main road towards the centre, just wander on down that way a bit, you'll find something easily enough.

superbiatch
28-06-2007, 10:59

Blackpool isn't really renowned for restaurants, i suppose the best i've ever had has been fish and chips on the seafront :D.

There are wetherspoons and places like that, so thats what i'd opt for - wouldn't eat anything sold from stalls (where do they wash their hands?! :disturbd:)

Chris
28-06-2007, 11:02
I wish I'd not mentioned the Flying Handbag now, I've had Electric Six lyrics going round my head since yesterday morning. :disturbd: :D

handyman
28-06-2007, 12:30
We had an ok bite to eat in the american diner type place near the Big one. I think its called Costers. If you eat downstairs its in Waltzer cars and upstairs has the coasters going past the window.

Of course you could ditch Blackpool for the night and go 30 mins up the M6 to Kendal and eat at the restaurant I work for.

http://www.one-bridgestreet.co.uk/

Chris
28-06-2007, 12:44
We had an ok bite to eat in the american diner type place near the Big one. I think its called Costers. If you eat downstairs its in Waltzer cars and upstairs has the coasters going past the window.

Of course you could ditch Blackpool for the night and go 30 mins up the M6 to Kendal and eat at the restaurant I work for.

http://www.one-bridgestreet.co.uk/

The Pleasure Beach is at the other end of the Golden Mile from the Flying Handbag. They'd have to walk down to the prom and then get a tram.

Lord Nikon
29-06-2007, 17:39

The KFC near blackpool tower is decent (and the hotwings are certainly spicy)
Make sure you try a wrapstar (poor uk version of Taco Bell's Crunchwrap Supreme)

MikeyB
29-06-2007, 18:31
Not been to Blackpool for about 5 or 6 years.
Been there about 3 or 4 times for a "weekend with the lads", drive up there, find a B&B, go out, eat & drink, repeat two more times then home!

Don't think I could take Blackpool for more than a weekend, not really somewhere I'd go for a family holiday, each time we've been there are more Stag & Hen parties than anything else I think.

We were there the week it opened, and I was the only one brave enough to go on it, bunch of chickens!!!
I went on it at least three times, so must have enjoyed it!!! :disturbd:

greencreeper
29-06-2007, 21:33
Thanks for the info :)

I'm busy packing - mostly waterproofs :p:

greencreeper
02-07-2007, 01:12
I survived :D

I'm a bit hoarse from all the screaming, and my neck and back ache from the G-forces (and the Grand National, which is falling apart). Also knackered from spending about 4-5 hours splayed up the wall in a single bed shared with a very drunken lady who's principle remarks were that she felt safe with me, and that I was warm.

Top tips:

(1) On the big orange thing that spins, whatever you do, don't open your eyes when you think it has stopped. It hasn't. You're a few hundred feet in the air. I made this mistake. I thought, "Oh thank God it's over", and it wasn't. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH :disturbd:

(2) Leave Valhalla until last - you'll need to change your clothes afterwards. If you have no change of clothes, and/or place to change, forget the ride. You need leggings, wellies and a couple of £1 ponchos to survive it dry. My entire left leg, backside and nuts were well wet. Also filled my left trainer, though my feet were already wet from the rain. Oh and sit back - my companion belted his head off the hand rail (thankfully covered in foam)

(3) If it's raining, you'll get wet on Infusion as the seats in front drain onto your seat. And it's worse than it looks. When I got off, the photo they'd snapped (if you're daft enough to pay £5 for it) showed me in the crash position. I screamed myself silly. We did go on it twice though - madness.

(4) The place is full of people on hen and stag nights, so it's like chav paradise. Pretty rough. There were people laid out in the road. One of the bars we were in was a study in evolution - or a clear lack of it.

(5) Jagermeister is pretty strong.

It's alright for a weekend, but I wouldn't want to live there. It would be like being trapped in some strange hallucination.

sir_drinks_alot
02-07-2007, 21:44
Wee move just move way from blackpool as soon as you can it's just ****

homealone
02-07-2007, 22:25
I survived :D

I'm a bit hoarse from all the screaming, and my neck and back ache from the G-forces (and the Grand National, which is falling apart). Also knackered from spending about 4-5 hours splayed up the wall in a single bed shared with a very drunken lady who's principle remarks were that she felt safe with me, and that I was warm.

Top tips:

(1) On the big orange thing that spins, whatever you do, don't open your eyes when you think it has stopped. It hasn't. You're a few hundred feet in the air. I made this mistake. I thought, "Oh thank God it's over", and it wasn't. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH :disturbd:

(2) Leave Valhalla until last - you'll need to change your clothes afterwards. If you have no change of clothes, and/or place to change, forget the ride. You need leggings, wellies and a couple of £1 ponchos to survive it dry. My entire left leg, backside and nuts were well wet. Also filled my left trainer, though my feet were already wet from the rain. Oh and sit back - my companion belted his head off the hand rail (thankfully covered in foam)

(3) If it's raining, you'll get wet on Infusion as the seats in front drain onto your seat. And it's worse than it looks. When I got off, the photo they'd snapped (if you're daft enough to pay £5 for it) showed me in the crash position. I screamed myself silly. We did go on it twice though - madness.

(4) The place is full of people on hen and stag nights, so it's like chav paradise. Pretty rough. There were people laid out in the road. One of the bars we were in was a study in evolution - or a clear lack of it.

(5) Jagermeister is pretty strong.

It's alright for a weekend, but I wouldn't want to live there. It would be like being trapped in some strange hallucination.

Blackpool, for me, works ok in the dark, it is daylight that spoils it ;) - mind you I've only ever been for the 'illuminations' - and the last time was before the max was built...

wwe
24-07-2007, 18:58
wow its dead sunny today it blackpool its been rainning almost everyday whats going on?

Jules
24-07-2007, 21:15
Sunny in Leeds as well

wwe
07-09-2008, 05:34
whats yours views on the illuminations are they any good been thinking about going to see them

wwe
05-12-2009, 15:49
hi the queen coming here on monday by train any one know what time she be here

fireman328
05-12-2009, 16:10
I pity the Queen.

Hugh
05-12-2009, 16:26
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/12/106.jpg

Jimmy-J
05-12-2009, 18:14
She's there for the Royal Variety Performance. I wonder if she'll use the loo they built for her way back in 1955 this time.

A lavatory fit for a queen is getting a £4000 make-over despite the fact that it has NEVER been used since it was built 54 years ago.

The "Royal Flush" has been hidden behind a locked door at Blackpool Opera House since the Queen's last visit in 1955.

Link (http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/local-news/126422-oyal-flush-installed-for-queens-visit.html)

LSainsbury
05-12-2009, 21:38
Another waste of money down the toilet!!

danielf
05-12-2009, 23:24
Another waste of money down the toilet!!

What a repetitive tautology!!

Hom3r
05-12-2009, 23:29
I would rather go up the Blackpool Tower than the Eye-Full Tower.