PDA

View Full Version : 4 months and virgin still havent sorted my problem!!! serial key needed please :)

karl.othen
14-06-2007, 21:04
My problems all started off when virgin engineers came to take away my dads set top box after he canceled his contract with them, rather than just take the set top box they decided to take my cable modem away too!
Now, i pay for this on a seperate account and have been told that i can continue to use my ntl/virgin media conection regardless of the fact that the house has no set top box.
All in all i took me nearly 3 months to get through to virgin customer services, as i have a busy life i could only spend a max of upto 45 mins on hold most days, not the 90mins it took for me to finaly get through to them after the 11 week of trying!
When i finaly got through i had to tell 9 different people the same dam story and by the time i was put on hold for the 10th person i was put back to the automated service you get when you first phone up cust services, oh by the way the 8th person had the cheek to test my line and tell me i have a modem conected and an acctive internet conection, god i could of lost my temper BIG time with him :(
Week 12 i finaly got through to some one who was prepared to send me a modem and within 2 days i got it :) BUT they didn't send me my pin or serial key GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! and so the struggle continues and i have been trying to contact them for another 3 weeks to try and get a serial key and pin to acctivate the modem!

if any one has any knowledge of where to obtain a serial key and or pin to acctivate my new modem, could they please shed some light.
thanks in advance karl :)

m044bz00
14-06-2007, 21:09
I'm not a fan of VM but having spent the last 5 weeks on the phone and more than 10 hours all I have to ask is what number were you ringing because the lobgest I've ever had to wait has been 30 mins although most times the phone is answered within 5 mins tops

It's just once they answer it all goes horribly wrong !!!

I don't see how you can blame VM for your busy lifestyle either!!!

Marge
14-06-2007, 21:18
Ring Technical Support and ask them to swop your modem over (they have a programme to do this). Your account has already been activated with your previous pin number so you don't have to do it again.

I would bet the engineer, when he took your original modem, hasn't removed it from the system hence when someone looks at your account it's still there larger than life and confusing things !!

Should be a quick two minute job fingers crossed xx <---- fingers crossed for you !!

karl.othen
14-06-2007, 21:35
I don't see how you can blame VM for your busy lifestyle either!!!

did i once blame them for my busy life in this thread??? thank you for the input ;)

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

:tu:Ring Technical Support and ask them to swop your modem over (they have a programme to do this). Your account has already been activated with your previous pin number so you don't have to do it again.

I would bet the engineer, when he took your original modem, hasn't removed it from the system hence when someone looks at your account it's still there larger than life and confusing things !!

Should be a quick two minute job fingers crossed xx <---- fingers crossed for you !!

thank you marge, i will try this next time i get through to them :)

Marge
14-06-2007, 21:48
Why don't you ring now, they are open :)

nonamesleft
14-06-2007, 22:22
just my 2p but i have taken to telling them that i am recording the call after i have asked for there name of cause (as they record ours so they like to tell us) and i find i get a MUCH MUCH better service.....

me

englishpaul
15-06-2007, 01:57
just my 2p but i have taken to telling them that i am recording the call after i have asked for there name of cause (as they record ours so they like to tell us) and i find i get a MUCH MUCH better service.....

me

Point to note, whilst companies only need to advise you that 'calls may be recorded', home telephone recording systems are required by law to emit an audible signal at least every 60 seconds.

It only takes them a minute to know you are not necessarily telling the truth...

---------- Post added at 01:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 ----------

Woo! 100 posts! LOL! :D

looselipsuk
15-06-2007, 09:19
Point to note, whilst companies only need to advise you that 'calls may be recorded', home telephone recording systems are required by law to emit an audible signal at least every 60 seconds.

It only takes them a minute to know you are not necessarily telling the truth...

---------- Post added at 01:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 ----------

Woo! 100 posts! LOL! :D

Not sure where your this information is coming from but, after searching the net, by law, you do not even have to tell the person you are recording them, unless you intend to disclose the information to a third party.
This seems to be a good link for information:-
http://www.telephonerecorder.co.uk/legal/home.htm

xspeedyx
15-06-2007, 09:38
but you do have to let the person know that your r recording the call or they can terminate the call

NTLVictim
15-06-2007, 11:13
but you do have to let the person know that your r recording the call or they can terminate the call

Nope.

"Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?
No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording."

jcardiff
15-06-2007, 14:56
Nope.

"Do I have to let people know that I intend to record their telephone conversations with me?
No, provided you are not intending to make the contents of the communication available to a third party. If you are you will need the consent of the person you are recording."
"it is illegal to record telephone conversations without the prior authorisation of both persons involved."
"It should be borne in mind that criminal offences and civil actions may occur when the relevant legislation is not complied with."

in other words as long as you say you're recording this call no problem, otherwise you are making a big hole for yourself and prosecutions while rare DO happen

NTLVictim
15-06-2007, 16:09
"it is illegal to record telephone conversations without the prior authorisation of both persons involved."

..For BUSINESS, I was quoting the law for a PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL under The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 ("RIPA") .

karl.othen
15-06-2007, 16:57
sweet mother of god! i got through to them after 15 mins today and through to the right department after 3 attempts, well done virgin!! :D
they have given me a serial key, pin and an ip address i need to enter them at, sure hope it works this time, currently at work hence why i haven't ried already.

JackSon
15-06-2007, 17:47
Ah, but even if it doesnt work, ringing up armed with PIN, and MAC address, connecting your modem will take but a few seconds when you speak to a support person so you'e on home straight now in either case :)

jcardiff
15-06-2007, 18:16
..For BUSINESS, I was quoting the law for a PRIVATE INDIVIDUAL under The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 ("RIPA") .

it doesn't matter whether its private or business as the law is the same for both, there have been people prosecuted for taping others that were not business related, the law is mainly to protect individuals not companies according to ofcom

NTLVictim
15-06-2007, 20:03
it doesn't matter whether its private or business as the law is the same for both, there have been people prosecuted for taping others that were not business related, the law is mainly to protect individuals not companies according to ofcom

Because the recording has then been relayed to a "third party".

"there have been people prosecuted for taping others"...To prosecute someone for this offence, you have to have knowledge, or to have been given knowledge that the recording exists...hence, the "third party" clause.

on in an hour!
15-06-2007, 20:10
My problems all started off when virgin engineers came to take away my dads set top box after he canceled his contract with them, rather than just take the set top box they decided to take my cable modem away too!
Now, i pay for this on a seperate account and have been told that i can continue to use my ntl/virgin media conection regardless of the fact that the house has no set top box.
All in all i took me nearly 3 months to get through to virgin customer services, as i have a busy life i could only spend a max of upto 45 mins on hold most days, not the 90mins it took for me to finaly get through to them after the 11 week of trying!
When i finaly got through i had to tell 9 different people the same dam story and by the time i was put on hold for the 10th person i was put back to the automated service you get when you first phone up cust services, oh by the way the 8th person had the cheek to test my line and tell me i have a modem conected and an acctive internet conection, god i could of lost my temper BIG time with him :(
Week 12 i finaly got through to some one who was prepared to send me a modem and within 2 days i got it :) BUT they didn't send me my pin or serial key GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! and so the struggle continues and i have been trying to contact them for another 3 weeks to try and get a serial key and pin to acctivate the modem!

if any one has any knowledge of where to obtain a serial key and or pin to acctivate my new modem, could they please shed some light.
thanks in advance karl :)
if its registration website you are at asking for the serial key try: ntl-ct8-cj486..not sure if this is what you want though :confused:

jcardiff
15-06-2007, 23:21
Because the recording has then been relayed to a "third party".

"there have been people prosecuted for taping others"...To prosecute someone for this offence, you have to have knowledge, or to have been given knowledge that the recording exists...hence, the "third party" clause.

my partner is a solicitor and while she has never had a case of this nature she has colleagues who have had similar cases, it doesnt matter whether you pass it on to a third party or not the part that is illegal is taping a conversation without prior notice to both people, even the police need authorisation to record telephone conversations.
it is legal only with permission of both parties or with a court order.
However the fact is if you say you are taping the conversation because of prior problems I doubt the person on the other end would object.

either way good luck

Chicken
16-06-2007, 00:30
Do virgin do like NTL used to do and actually give you permission to record the calls? When you rang them the answer messages used to say "This call may be recorded...".

Nedkelly
16-06-2007, 00:36
I wonder if he got the problem sorted after on in a hour gave hom a the serial key ?:)