PDA

View Full Version : How good is your Virgin broadband

jcw00
14-06-2007, 09:28
Most threads are to do with cancelling, or poor brandband speed, so let see what everyone thinks with this poll.

Paul K
14-06-2007, 09:31
Poll?

jcw00
14-06-2007, 09:37
Poll?

Was still being created. Try now.

zing_deleted
14-06-2007, 09:44
Im not gonna vote but ill leave a comment.
My broadband suffers the same as everyone elses . Sometimes the speed is lower than others and this is often just load etc. I manage my connection and my pc so I dont suffer from spyware etc and regualrly clear cache and temp files. I have used proxys and different DNS servers when other problems have occured. The only time I have lost connection to the internet is when there is an external fault in my area or with my external cable.
Many many many people complain about their speed because a speed test shows them a few meg down or a few websites are down for them or they are suffering poor speeds.A large number of these are explainable by a poorly maintained pc network congestion or other none VM factors.
Some however have poor speeds for perlonged periods and its not related to the customer but to the network. These are the ones that need proper VM tech investigation.
To get a proper result in votes like this all these factors need to taken into consideration

Paul K
14-06-2007, 09:46
To get a proper result in votes like this all these factors need to taken into consideration
Never gonna happen ;)

zing_deleted
14-06-2007, 09:54
I know :) but I live in hope despair at leisure :)

danielf
14-06-2007, 09:56
I had 'poor' speeds in the evening (~2 meg on a 4 meg line) for about a month a few months back, but now it's back to a rock solid 4 meg line. Very happy with it. No downtime at all in 2.5 years (ex blueyonder) :)

jcw00
14-06-2007, 10:07
My broadband suffers the same as everyone elses.

Simply not true.

soup dragon
14-06-2007, 10:16
had cable for nearly 2 years - never been down! slow speeds ie 1.5meg sometimes at peak periods 19:00-22:00, but i remember 28k dial up so no biggy!

smucks
14-06-2007, 10:22
My broadband suffers the same as everyone elses . Sometimes the speed is lower than others and this is often just load etc. I manage my connection and my pc so I dont suffer from spyware etc and regualrly clear cache and temp files. I have used proxys and different DNS servers when other problems have occured. The only time I have lost connection to the internet is when there is an external fault in my area or with my external cable.
Many many many people complain about their speed because a speed test shows them a few meg down or a few websites are down for them or they are suffering poor speeds.A large number of these are explainable by a poorly maintained pc network congestion or other none VM factors.
Some however have poor speeds for perlonged periods and its not related to the customer but to the network. These are the ones that need proper VM tech investigation.

Well Said:tu::tu::tu::tu::tu:

xspeedyx
14-06-2007, 10:28
My service has been great for the past 2 years only speed drop was once I had 8mb so I cnt complain must be a nice ubr i have and I am just waiting for my 20mb connection

Florence
14-06-2007, 10:50
I have had cable BB since July 2000 I have had one major outage where someone cut through the cable took a few days to locate and fix, not really their fault as who ever did it filled in the hole making it harder to locate.
Recently over the last 18months outages have become more common I wil lose sync this can last for an hour or more I tend to not report it to Tech support until I have been down for hours due to the script method they use. Each time they said it was my modem and it would need replacing yet BB has always come back within 24hours and I still have this faulty modem as they kept saying it was. No matter how many timnes you try to tell them its trying to sync but BB isnt there they still say its the modem. Before we was forced to use India for faults the standard was much higher and they understood when we said it was trying to sync. Last time I lost sync was last week in May we had gone away on holiday leaving my daughter at home she phoned asking what to do as the BB was down. When I asked what lights was on the modem told her to unplug for 10 mins then repower up everything. She left it out for 30mins repowered up and still dead so she went to bed next day it was back.

Perhaps its time VM also accepted email faults since they are now charginf us premium rates for support, also perhaps if they had got rid of some managers and not all the workforce that monitored the network the system would be running smoother. Bean counters again added with the great american lack of understanding but love of high bonuses.

zing_deleted
14-06-2007, 10:56
Simply not true.

How so? just cuz I aint suffered perlonged network issues does not mean I have not had problems with lower speeds at times .Feel free to justify your remark a little more

dojoman47
14-06-2007, 11:53
Been with them since they introduced BB (17/10/2002) and have had only 1 outage in that time. On the 10 meg and speeds are great apart from the traffic shaping hours, therefore I try and do most of my D/L outside of these hours. Only hope that it stays as reliable when the upgrade happens sometime in July.

Wicked_and_Crazy
14-06-2007, 12:13
Im not going to vote because you talking about outtages and speed issues that are as a result of a problem?

I cantremember the last time i had an outage, however its also been a fair old while since ive received the speed i pay for (however its not far enough off to get upset about, < 10%).

danielf
14-06-2007, 12:22
Im not going to vote because you talking about outtages and speed issues that are as a result of a problem?

I cantremember the last time i had an outage, however its also been a fair old while since ive received the speed i pay for (however its not far enough off to get upset about, < 10%).

Depends on your speed I guess, but I'd think getting 95% of your maximum line speed is about the best you could hope for? I get 3.8 on a 4 meg line. Pretty much spot on imo...

welwynrose
14-06-2007, 12:22
I've vote Very Good rather than excellent but that's more to me having just my internet back after being for a week rather than anything else

Wicked_and_Crazy
14-06-2007, 12:24
Depends on your speed I guess, but I'd think getting 95% of your maximum line speed is about the best you could hope for? I get 3.8 on a 4 meg line. Pretty much spot on imo...

For about 4 years it used to be spot on everytime, recently that hasnt been the case. I gets about 90-92% of what i should, which i agree isnt unreasonable.

xpod
14-06-2007, 12:56
I`ve had many many problems in just over a year now,some related to the actual service and quite a few relating to the customer service.
Like anything else in life though(especially a service) theres gonna be problems but it`s how you deal with those problems that count.Moaning on online forums wont do much good for anyone eh.;)

I suppose if was`nt "happy" to at least some degree then i just would`nt be here.The bottom line is that we`re talking about internet access/computers here though which is just not the most serious of issues in my life.
I supose it is at the time when i`m trying to "communicate" with Sundeep over in India though eh:rolleyes:

Never mind going to Sky,i could be using my neighbours(with his consent) broadband for free as a line through from his house is actually closer to my own pc just now than the line to my own cable inlet.
I`ve actually sent him a line through on more than one occasion when he`s been down in the past and he certainly would`nt mind me sharing his.He`s actually encouraged me to drop our services when he seen a past monthly bill.
Theres also the various wireless signals in the area,two that i`m permitted access to if needs be and another 3 or so that i could access if i really wanted to.....with permission of course.

As far as the TV is concerned we have freeview boxes throughout the house plus we can watch whatever we want online through the TV anyway.That makes the actual TV services obsolete so the only service i actually need is the "batphone through to India" there.
Between my 4 girls and the wife though i dont have much say when it comes to the phones...NO MATTER how much i comapain:Yikes:

At the end of the day people will always complain about stuff wether it`s their wives,their jobs or even their broadband services..... and usually the longer the union the more the complaining eh

I did`nt vote

dev
14-06-2007, 13:48

same here, every single one of the "outages" i've had over the 6 or 7 years have been when there has been work scheduled for my area so i dismissed them. Can't really included a box swap / modem installed as an outage either :p: Like you I see speed drops during peak times but they are still an acceptable level seeing as I'm not paying for a 10mb dedicated line (which some people insist they are), so I've voted excellent :tu:

Toto
14-06-2007, 14:10
I voted very good.

Many of my colleagues and friends can't get VM Broadband, and have to put up with ADSL, VM by comparison seems to be much better.

My personal experience has been very good since installed back in 2000

jcw00
14-06-2007, 16:10
My broadband suffers the same as everyone elses

Simply not true.

How so? just cuz I aint suffered perlonged network issues does not mean I have not had problems with lower speeds at times .Feel free to justify your remark a little more

How can you answer for everyone elses, you can't! Currently 72% have experienced 6 or less problems in the last year. I think this figures speaks for itself !!!

icestar2
14-06-2007, 17:24
I have almost always been happy with my broadband. Had it for 3 years or so now and its been great. The odd outage but nothing to really complain about. Well that was until VM took over. Now I get slowers speeds more often even though I have downloaded nothing. Also outages are becomming more regular.

smucks
14-06-2007, 17:54
How can you answer for everyone elses, you can't! Currently 72% have experienced 6 or less problems in the last year. I think this figures speaks for itself !!!

I personally have a lot more then 6 problems in less then 5 months let alone in 12 months, so the figures do not speak for thereselfs ?

gaffer_gump
14-06-2007, 18:16
Just a quick thought after I voted and saw the results to date, would it be possible after a while for one of the mods to not only show the results but also the area of the country that they relate to ? :scratch:

zing_deleted
14-06-2007, 18:19

lol where did I say I was answering for everyone ?

smucks
14-06-2007, 18:25
Okay you have had problems, but you can't keep claiming that you speak for everyone!

OMG where and when do or did I say I speak for everyone ? I have a voice and I speak for myself LOL.........

jcw00
14-06-2007, 18:25
lol where did I say I was answering for everyone ?

Post number 4

My broadband suffers the same as everyone elses

AndyIggs83
14-06-2007, 18:26
mines excellent, never have any trouble at all!

jcw00
14-06-2007, 18:27
OMG where and when do or did I say I speak for everyone ? I have a voice and I speak for myself LOL.........

Sorry mixed up posts, it's zinglebarb who claims to speak for everyone.

smucks
14-06-2007, 18:35
Sorry mixed up posts, it's zinglebarb who claims to speak for everyone.

Ok no problem, if its post #10 of Zings I agree with the post that Zing made, after working in a PC Shop and physically doing the repairs and talking to customers you will be surprised by the amount of people that do not know the basic's and just bought one to switch on/off and use the net and have no physical idea of the damage that can be caused through opennig mails/downloading files etc

A lot of them I spoke to still thought that the hard drive was memory ?

But you put these people on the right track and they soon learn very quick in most case's.

m044bz00
14-06-2007, 18:37
I'm not going to vote either having had major issues for 5 weeks recently

However, before that I'd have said BB is excellant except when it very very occasionally goes wrong then it's an absolute nightmare solely due to woeful support

zing_deleted
14-06-2007, 18:54
Post number 4

sorry its not me speaking for everyone its me stating the facts if you dont like it read my sig

Wicked_and_Crazy
14-06-2007, 19:13

Perhaps you ought to understand the english language. Saying that your connection suffers like everyone elses doesnt mean everyones connection suffers. :rolleyes: Especially when it is quaillified with "Sometimes the speed is lower than others and this is often just load etc"

smallethic
14-06-2007, 19:28
The poll seems to leave out an obvious question; downtime is quite different from consistent speeds. My experience is that downtime (no connection at all) is a very infrequent event, probably no more than once or twice a year and usually only for a couple of hours or so. Speed consistency is a very different kettle of fish. Speed can vary hugely throughout the day, from 4MB down to 0.5MB, depending (presumably on the volume and intensity of use), but I don't count this as a failure by Virgin because I guess that the same applies to almost every other residential connection whether cable or ADSL. And additionally, without using a standard speed measurement tool one can get wide fluctuations in the reported speed regardless of whether the actual speed has changed or not.

Subject to that caveat my assessment of Virgin is 'Excellent'.

zachysat
14-06-2007, 19:35
personally this poll will not reflect the reak issue we are having since VM took over for the simple reason i was much i say much more happy with NTL beside that i can you say in the poll in the last yeaR WHEN vm JUST TOOK OVER

jcw00
14-06-2007, 21:57
sorry its not me speaking for everyone its me stating the facts

Saying that your connection suffers like everyone elses doesnt mean everyones connection suffers.

If you dont mean everyone, then maybe use some people or most people.

punky
14-06-2007, 22:12
OK let's calm it down

If you can't post without getting personal then don't post

jcw00
14-06-2007, 22:18
OK let's calm it down

If you can't post without getting personal then don't post

Please close this thread as it would seam that some people are only happy in posting negative comments all of the time!

zing_deleted
14-06-2007, 22:27

I would like to clarify my position here. I am not anti VM broadband the quoted post in no way implies VM offer poor broadband. When I stated my service suffers I simply meant is exactly the same architecture as everyones subject to the same possible faults.I also only recommend VM BB to my clients as I have little faith in adsl as we know it. My point was simply saying a lot of the problems with speed are nothing to do with VM but external factors like busy servers or poorly maintained PCs. My view towards VM broadband has never been negative and my posting position on this forum proves that

Maggy
14-06-2007, 22:44
Hmm! Someone has misconstrued what zinglebarb said I think...

Sigh! these VM is best/Sky is best threads are really making some folk overly aggressive it seems to me.:shrug:

Incomplete
14-06-2007, 22:48
Getting the thread back on topic rather than arguing or passing judgement on the people arguing I voted excellent as when I had then ntl broadband at previous address it was exactly that. Full speed all the time, no downtime at all.

That was when the top speed was 3Mbit though :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
14-06-2007, 23:35
Please close this thread as it would seam that some people are only happy in posting negative comments all of the time!

Not posting negative comments, its just the way you read it and interpreted it. Ive been on cable for 12 or so years now, why would i have stayed that long if i was negative about it?

Im pretty happy with my service, my point was that i dont get the advertised speed but its not due to a fault. As i said in my first post, i didnt vote because i dont have fault issues but i also dont get the advertised speed, however you dont define what you mean by a speed drop

englishpaul
15-06-2007, 01:20
personally this poll will not reflect the reak issue we are having since VM took over for the simple reason i was much i say much more happy with NTL beside that i can you say in the poll in the last yeaR WHEN vm JUST TOOK OVER

When will folk get to understand that VM did NOT take over, the service is still provided by exactly [near enough] the same team and network that was ntl/Telewest?

All that happened was a little re-badging/corporate identity.

ntl/Telewest is VirginMedia is ntl/Telewest.

A white Ford Focus resprayed to a red Ford Focus is still a white Ford Focus underneath. It doesn't suddenly become a Porsche nor a Skoda.

I voted 'Very Good' because that represents the service I have received.

Safeman
15-06-2007, 06:53
When will folk get to understand that VM did NOT take over, the service is still provided by exactly [near enough] the same team and network that was ntl/Telewest?

A white Ford Focus resprayed to a red Ford Focus is still a white Ford Focus underneath. It doesn't suddenly become a Porsche nor a Skoda.

I voted 'Very Good' because that represents the service I have received.yes but surely VM bosses have told them how to run it it was better when it was ntl/tw dont ya think loads others think that too

jcw00
15-06-2007, 16:33

I voted 'Very Good' because that represents the service I have received.

Good to see someone understands what re-branding is.

tweetiepooh
15-06-2007, 16:51
Not that I'm biased but the BB service I get from my employer has and is excellent. Speed is at the 10M expected and it's always up (nearly).

Wish I could say the say about the offshore customer support.

englishpaul
15-06-2007, 22:43
I find it interesting that, considering the amount of moaning about VM on here, over 75% have voted that their service is good or better.

I'm sure VM will be happy to see that too.

:tu:

jcw00
15-06-2007, 22:57
I find it interesting that, considering the amount of moaning about VM on here, over 75% have voted that their service is good or better.

I'm sure VM will be happy to see that too.

:tu:

It's a shame that most of the top forum posters, mainly post negative comments, when as you said, the figures confirm most people are very happy with the service.

zing_deleted
15-06-2007, 22:59
Guess someone aint bothered to read my clarification then

Read my posts on the subject the only area resently ive been in the slightest negative is the 25p per min thread

Wicked_and_Crazy
15-06-2007, 23:09
It's a shame that most of the top forum posters, mainly post negative comments, when as you said, the figures confirm most people are very happy with the service.

most????

homealone
15-06-2007, 23:22
voted 'excellent' - but thanks to people like Papa Smurf & NedKelly, for that :tu:

Sideboards
15-06-2007, 23:33
As a newcomer to this forum the question on how do you rate your Virgin Broadband will come back with alot of negative problems due to all the issues that have ocurred in the last few months with speed and connections........

Of course it is just another firm re-branded but surely it must also be trying out new software and hardware why else would the speeds be going up to 20mb and then upto 50mb so problems will happen..........

But I only speak for myself being a customer for years and years from Nynex to Cable and Wireless to NTL and then now to Virgin I have only ever rang to complain about a fault or a problem maybe 1 or 2 times in a year and they were area outages..............

Untill the last few months and this is how I found this forum with my speed problems etc.
So when a lot of people hit the same problem with speeds and connections they are going to moan about Virgin as they are the current owners and adverts with Uma saying your speed stays the same however far away you are are laughable to say the least.

All I ask is for Virgin to settle the ship,before it starts to sink, and get us all back on an even keel with speeds that we pay for and no packet loss...............Like we used to be...................

Nedkelly
15-06-2007, 23:37
Mine has been good apart from one little plip a couple of weeks ago :)

jcw00
26-06-2007, 20:27
As at 20:26 today 73% say they have Good to Excellent Broadband service from Virgin Media.

jcw00
04-07-2007, 21:53
As at 21:53 today 67% say they have Good to Excellent Broadband service from Virgin Media.

Only 1 week left to vote.

Rik
04-07-2007, 22:19
Excellent, im very happy with my 2.34MB/s Giganews line :)

TraxData
04-07-2007, 23:08
Very poor, i work during the day, sleep during the night, so when i do get home (4-5pm) i get a full 20mins out of the connection before i get shaped and it then becomes useless, shaped to 5mbit? speed jumps up and down like there's no tomorrow.

even if it was a stable 5mbit i wouldnt be happy, as im payin for 20mbit (yes i know its upto but i expect more than 5mbit)

Kind of annoying, 10mbit was perfect, never had any dropouts or anything, was always spot on, then they became VM and everything went to hell, i know this traffic shaping is only temporary (and introduced to lower the b/w taken by "cloned" modems)

But it's there till they can find a fix to stop the cloned modems, and its quite obvious it'll take them damn well ages to get anything done.

Oh well, cancelled today, and back to Be soon, me a happy bunny :)

darkrage
06-07-2007, 19:19
wow 32% of people have no issues lol find that hard to believe.

JackSon
06-07-2007, 19:26
wow 32% of people have no issues lol find that hard to believe.

Why? People with no complaints are more often the quieter ones.

jcw00
06-07-2007, 19:34
Yes NO problems. Pay for 2Mb and get 2Mb all day every day.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/105.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

i get a full 20mins out of the connection before i get shaped and it then becomes useless.

Unless someone else is using your connection whilst you are working, I am surprised that you think you are being traffic managed just after 20 minutes.

TraxData
06-07-2007, 19:44
Yes NO problems. Pay for 2Mb and get 2Mb all day every day.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/105.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Unless someone else is using your connection whilst you are working, I am surprised that you think you are being traffic managed just after 20 minutes.

You can pass the 3gb limit in just over 20mins..then 4 hours of a useless connection (as the traffic shaping does NOT work well here, it is up and down like a yo-yo and the net is practically unbrowseable)

Im only home 5pm-1am, so i get 20mins, then an hours worth of my connection, well worth £37/month...NOT

But i've cancelled, getting my Be line back in next week, cant wait!!!!

scrotnig
06-07-2007, 19:48
Mine was brilliant until the 20mb upgrade. SInce then I can't even get 1mb.

Prior to that I was averaging 5mb - 9mb on a 10mb connection.

Now they've just ruined it and there seems little prospect of things improving as they won't acknowledge there's a problem.

lerum
06-07-2007, 19:58
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/99.png

I've been on 20mbit since I joined and I've had no problems :)

Rackerz
06-07-2007, 20:34
Rang Virgin today (on 20mb) and they do not achknowledge that their is throttling/speed limitting going on.

They also wont help with the speed issues we are getting (unrelated to the above), since Virgin took over we have been having a lot of problems.

DerekRothwell
06-07-2007, 20:57
Paying for $mb, getting about 1mb. Enough is now enough. I've waited long enough for this to get resolved.
I think the only way to get a message to hit Virgin square in the teeth is to cancel all services and reduce their revenues.
If enough people did that, you could bet your bottom dollar that they would stop arsing about and sort the product out.

alferret
06-07-2007, 21:00
I voted excellent. Whether it be under the name of Virgin Media or NTL the broadband service I have recieved far surpasses any expectations I may have had.
I was originally wth Diamond then NTL and now VM. Nothing has changed, well not for me. I expect that at times my speed will fluctuate, my line will drop and i'll have no service at all, whether that is for a few minutes or a day it doesnt really matter as I can always be doing something else and what I needed to do online I can do later. My life does not revolve around the internet. BB is a tool, sometimes it doesnt work as it is expected to, people should understand and remember that.

Going back to earlier post's I would like to concur with Zinglebarb that many, many people have faults that they are far to quick to blame VM for when it is their computer that is not looked after in a proper fashion. The do not know how to run antivirus or anti spyware, empty their temp internet files and the miriad of other problems that can cause their internet connection to go "slower" than what they think it should. Yes there are issues but are all those issues to do with VM? I think not.
I wonder how many drivers on the road today are unable to check the oil and water, change a tyre etc, but when there is a problem they are quick to pass the blame onto someone else.
Maybe people should learn to use a computer before they are let loose on the rest of the world and remember there are 2 sides to a coin and both sides dont say VM.

TraxData
06-07-2007, 21:11
I voted excellent. Whether it be under the name of Virgin Media or NTL the broadband service I have recieved far surpasses any expectations I may have had.
I was originally wth Diamond then NTL and now VM. Nothing has changed, well not for me. I expect that at times my speed will fluctuate, my line will drop and i'll have no service at all, whether that is for a few minutes or a day it doesnt really matter as I can always be doing something else and what I needed to do online I can do later. My life does not revolve around the internet. BB is a tool, sometimes it doesnt work as it is expected to, people should understand and remember that.

Going back to earlier post's I would like to concur with Zinglebarb that many, many people have faults that they are far to quick to blame VM for when it is their computer that is not looked after in a proper fashion. The do not know how to run antivirus or anti spyware, empty their temp internet files and the miriad of other problems that can cause their internet connection to go "slower" than what they think it should. Yes there are issues but are all those issues to do with VM? I think not.
I wonder how many drivers on the road today are unable to check the oil and water, change a tyre etc, but when there is a problem they are quick to pass the blame onto someone else.
Maybe people should learn to use a computer before they are let loose on the rest of the world and remember there are 2 sides to a coin and both sides dont say VM.

I suppose all those people who suddenly get a huge drop with their connection at just the same time traffic shaping is supposed to kick in is their fault? err yea sure and its also their fault it suddenly jumps back to normal at gone midnight? yes, sure.

VM's traffic shaping does not work.

And it's a known fact a cloned modem can use its 3gig limit then swap over to another mac...and if its anywhere near you, then ur gonna get shaped 2, VM have admitted this.

However luckily traffic shaping is just a temporary fix to stop cloned modems using so much bandwith while they work out a way to stop them.

Rackerz
06-07-2007, 21:15
So they will stop traffic shaping once they've worked out how to stop that, or am I completely getting what you're saying wrong?

homealone
06-07-2007, 21:24
I suppose all those people who suddenly get a huge drop with their connection at just the same time traffic shaping is supposed to kick in is their fault? err yea sure and its also their fault it suddenly jumps back to normal at gone midnight? yes, sure.

And it's a known fact a cloned modem can use its 3gig limit then swap over to another mac...and if its anywhere near you, then ur gonna get shaped 2, VM have admitted this.

However luckily traffic shaping is just a temporary fix to stop cloned modems using so much bandwith while they work out a way to stop them.

Not to disagree, but alferret made some good points about the possibility that people may blame shaping for problems that might be due to other factors?

shaping does seem to 'work' here, at least, I'd forgotten our area has had the 20Mb upgrade (I'm on 4Mb) - the attached shows the speed just about exactly halved, when it kicked in after 750MB (higher speed on the trace was running at 480KB/s) & then remaining steady - this was from the Giganews European server using Grabit.

TraxData
06-07-2007, 21:27
Not to disagree, but alferret made some good points about the possibility that people may blame shaping for problems that might be due to other factors?

shaping does seem to 'work' here, at least, I'd forgotten our area has had the 20Mb upgrade (I'm on 4Mb) - the attached shows the speed just about exactly halved, when it kicked in after 750MB (higher speed on the trace was running at 480KB/s) & then remaining steady - this was from the Giganews European server using Grabit.

I know traffic shaping works fine in some areas, but alot of the posts here clearly show it isnt working in quite a few areas, at least not properly. and instead of anyone addressing it they just blame the user, its like talkin to VM CS Guys, they dont seem to care either, just say its you and deny anything being wrong their end.

No wonder cloned modems are such an issue now, all they have to do is change to another mac when they reach their limit, quick reboot and got 20mbit back, heh.

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:26 ----------

So they will stop traffic shaping once they've worked out how to stop that, or am I completely getting what you're saying wrong?

That is the plan at VM.

Remove all the people the service illegally, that will clear up a HUGE amount of bandwith (you wouldnt believe just how many people are using VM illegally).

Then supposedly stop traffic shaping.

Rackerz
06-07-2007, 21:32
Traffic Shaping is when they throttle our connection speeds at peak times?

Also, we rang up earlier and were told we downloaded our allowance and that we are going to be limited in speed, it's now back at 20mb, I'm guessing just a mistake.

alferret
06-07-2007, 21:53

Im not saying ALL though am I?
Yes, sure there are problems with the way STM is implimented and the adverse effect it can have on some subscribers.
My speed drops by exactly 50% STM works as it is supposed to for me and for the bloke next door it may totally screw up his connection and the bloke next door but one may have a heavily infested machine and he is unaware of that because of this lack of knowledge but he still blames VM.

Have you got a link to the bit I have highlighted, not to argue about, but for me to read as I like to try and keep on top of things, cheers :dozey:

homealone
06-07-2007, 22:29
<snip>

No wonder cloned modems are such an issue now, all they have to do is change to another mac when they reach their limit, quick reboot and got 20mbit back, heh.
That is the plan at VM.

Remove all the people the service illegally, that will clear up a HUGE amount of bandwith (you wouldnt believe just how many people are using VM illegally).

Then supposedly stop traffic shaping.

I have to agree that the issue of cloned modems must be sorted out very soon.

I don't know how widespread it has become, but it won't stop until VM can reliably pinpoint the culprits & for the sake of victims, such as yourself, it really should come sooner rather than later ...

wwe
07-07-2007, 16:13
its well gd really fast

dave6x
08-07-2007, 20:51
I used to be a very happy NTL customer, I've had 10Mb in the past, but now on 2Mb since the kids left home. I'm not a heavy downloader but like to stream some TV programs and short vids, and download a bit of music combined with some chat, etc.

Traffic shaping is alive and kicking and is making my connection un-useable for what I want to do when I want to do it, the 920Kb I'm being shaped to after just 350Mb is just a joke for £18/mth!!!

Actively looking for cheaper alternatives, that shouldn't be too difficult as I'm only 600m from BT exchange with neighbours getting a consistent 6 - 7Mb!!!

jcw00
19-07-2007, 19:48
The poll has now closed and over 60% are happy with the service from Virgin Mobile.
There is however 16% wanting to leave.

Agent47
20-07-2007, 09:05
the 60%+ are probably VM employees who have rigged the vote.

jcw00
20-07-2007, 09:29

I don't work for Virgin Media, and I voted Excellent!

US.M@JORHAZZARD
20-07-2007, 09:43
As did i even with the shapping in the evenings..

i drop to around 6mb from 4-12 but then all i do is play games and the games and servers i play on all have good pings so it don't affect me...

Derek
20-07-2007, 11:54

Nope. A large number of VM customers have absolutely no issues with their broadband service.

Paul
20-07-2007, 12:07
the 60%+ are probably VM employees who have rigged the vote.What you post seems to pretty much match your view of VM. :dozey:

Still, do enlighten us as to how they 'rigged' the vote ..............

Stuart
20-07-2007, 12:28
yes but surely VM bosses have told them how to run it it was better when it was ntl/tw dont ya think loads others think that too

No: The management team at VM is largely the same team as Telewest, from what I have been told.

BigLarry
20-07-2007, 19:35
Quite frankly, mine's ****!

Rackerz
20-07-2007, 22:12
Mine is crap. Apologies if I'm not allowed to use that word, but it is. Ever since VM decided to ruin it.

Rik
20-07-2007, 22:23
I don't work for Virgin Media, and I voted Excellent!

As did I :)

Agent 47 can go on ignore, his posts are now boring me. :rolleyes:

hanzo
22-07-2007, 22:44
its f**king crap