PDA

View Full Version : Would my equpment work in another house ?

nortonl
13-06-2007, 12:48
OK, slightly naughty question I know but I am moving for a few months to a nearby property while work is done on my house and none of the official solutions Vm are offering is exactly what I need.

The house I'm going to has a Vm phone so I'm thinking if I just plug my Internet & TV stuff in the other house, will it work and will they know ?

Thanks.

MovedGoalPosts
13-06-2007, 12:58
Simple answer - NO it won't work and yes they might find out.

STB's and modems are setup and registered to specific parts of the Cable network. Connect them elsewhere and those registrations will normally break.

Graham M
13-06-2007, 13:09
Depends how close "Nearby" is, if it is the same UBR and there is a connection point in the property (and is connected) then there is a possibility, however obviously the phone won't work.

nortonl
13-06-2007, 13:14
It's the other side of the road. I'll give it a try then as this would be the least painful option for me - thanks.

MovedGoalPosts
13-06-2007, 13:17
Remember that if you do move your kit, and something goes wrong, you'll only have yourself to blame if Virgin Media do get upset with you. You would be the one breaching your contract's terms of service.

I'm surprised you can't get Virgin to transfer your services to the temporary adress using the house moves services :confused:

popper
13-06-2007, 13:31
OK, slightly naughty question I know but I am moving for a few months to a nearby property while work is done on my house and none of the official solutions Vm are offering is exactly what I need.

The house I'm going to has a Vm phone so I'm thinking if I just plug my Internet & TV stuff in the other house, will it work and will they know ?

Thanks.

simple answer yes it will as long as its local and has the cable to plug it into.

why would they care ?,as long as your paying the bill, its not like your giving up your house for the long term....never to return, or refusing to pay any valid bill.

nortonl
13-06-2007, 13:34
I'm surprised you can't get Virgin to transfer your services to the temporary adress using the house moves services

Vm has a policy of one account per address and since the person I'm renting from has a Vm phone and doesn't want to lose the number.

popper
13-06-2007, 13:44
Remember that if you do move your kit, and something goes wrong, you'll only have yourself to blame if Virgin Media do get upset with you. You would be the one breaching your contract's terms of service.

I'm surprised you can't get Virgin to transfer your services to the temporary adress using the house moves services :confused:

the very same terms of service, that allow them to send out the cable modem pack for personal installation, it would be rather hard for them to justify breach of contract dont you think, cant have them being exclusive to their favour now can we...

suprised VM wont do a simple thing that the accounting package doesn seem to be able to do without lots of messing around and a real understanding of its options, not really.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

It's the other side of the road. I'll give it a try then as this would be the least painful option for me - thanks.

it sounds like its within a bog standard wireless base station range for your VM landline phone then,try that plug the base station in the current house and see if the house across the road will pick up the signal and ring.

nortonl
13-06-2007, 13:56
Good idea but the house has to be completely emptied as - the roof is coming off and it's a bungalow.

popper
13-06-2007, 14:04
if you didnt have to cross a road, id say just use a long rj11 phone extension, but wireless seems the easy answer.

if the bungalow has a lockable outside shed or other area thats nearest your temp home and outside the work area danger zone, you could use the extension to that place and plug and power a wireless base station in there perhaps?.

nortonl
25-06-2007, 16:18
Hi Thanks everyone for your help. I think we are now sorted. Plugging our existing equpment in at the other address didn't work.

VM are giving us a 'duplicate account' at the address we will be staying in temporarily - that means our services get transferred to the other property without affecting the landlords existing account/phone. They will install an additional phone socket for us and when we are ready to move back into our own house, everything will get moved back again.

The funny thing is, most of the operators are unaware of this option.

PS1
12-07-2007, 20:19
Vm has a policy of one account per address and since the person I'm renting from has a Vm phone and doesn't want to lose the number.

no they dont.ive seen anything from 5 to 10 different accounts(students) at one address.
(bit of a late reply i know):dunce:

nortonl
25-07-2007, 19:44
Just a quick update. The reason my equipment didn't work at the new house was because the old wall box was connected for analogue!

eth01
25-07-2007, 19:46
That's odd. I remember moving, and taking most of my equipment with me -- NTL didn't know, and it worked fine.

PS1
26-07-2007, 11:38
Just a quick update. The reason my equipment didn't work at the new house was because the old wall box was connected for analogue!

? they send both analogue and digital down the same line(and at the moment,together still i think).

on in an hour!
26-07-2007, 16:09
? they send both analogue and digital down the same line(and at the moment,together still i think).
thats correct :tu: