PDA

View Full Version : Torrents running at really slow speeds, help please!!

drummerflea
13-06-2007, 12:16
I've posted here before about this really annoying problem.

I have uses Azureus for ages, and it was fine.. Till i got cable from Virgin Media, the torrents run at about 40kbps max, and that's rare. I am used to around 5kbps. Sometimes as low as 400 b/s!

It's annoying also that Virgin Media customer services never care, as they "Don't condone bit torrent" so they can't help you.. Although, they probably use it themselves.

They've told me they don't block ports, and I'm not using a router anymore, I'm connected directly to my modem, but the speeds i get on torrents are still very very slow.

I have 4mb package, and running Vista Ultimate. I have had the same problem on XP so it's not vista that's doing the harm. I took my firewall off, disabled Windows Firewall and everything.. It's just going straight to the modem and the speeds are abismal.

I can get my full speed of 480kbps on test files when i download within Firefox, but no torrent program gets over 40, because the ports are always blocked when i run a check.

Anyone else got this problem? Anyone know which port to use?

I really don't know what to do, and I know there's nothing wrong with my software or hardware, it's just something to do with ports that only lets me connect to about 3 peers of sometimes around 400..

:shocked: Please help guys!!

r00t
13-06-2007, 12:25
Read my post here Re: Virgin Media Torrent Speed Problem. Help please!!! (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34314974-post11.html)
You can PM me with any questions if you wish.

/r00t

xspeedyx
13-06-2007, 12:52
Okay first drop az and get utorrent and get urself a better firewall than the standard windows firewall check the router is letting the port through and patch ur tcp and change the half open connections on the settings in utorrent and check out this page to help you

http://www.johntp.com/2006/04/19/how-to-increase-download-speeds-of-utorrent/

MovedGoalPosts
13-06-2007, 12:57
Nothing wrong with Azureus. On my 4 meg connection on Virgin Media, I can easily hit 350KB/s download on the right files :D

It'll be entirely down to the settings of your client, especially connections, up and download options, and whether or not your client is being seen across the net as connectable due to ports / encryption / firewalls.

drummerflea
13-06-2007, 13:14
I downloaded that Elephants Dream torrent cause it has like loads of seeders.. That dwonloaded at like 400KBPS, because i was connected to really good trackers i think.

I am download Halo 2 vista, and it has 432 seeds and 1177 peers, and i can only seem to connect to 11 seeds and 57 peers.. I dont understand that bit, as when I do the port check on uTorrent it's fine now..

Know wnat's up?

Cheers for the replies!!

MovedGoalPosts
13-06-2007, 13:24
Just because there are loads of seeders / peers doesn't mean they are in fact all available. A peer does not have the complete file - they could well be trying to download. Many seeders (and peers) will restrict the number of connections they allow so their client doesn't get overloaded - after all they too only have so much bandwidth. Trackers may list all they can see, but the clients will reject anyone too far away (high pings etc).

Remember to give if you are to receive. A good sign that everything is OK is when you see your upload is working too - you should on 4 meg be capable of around 25KB/s upload without oversaturation.

& of course, you are only downloading these files as backups aren't you - we can't be seen to condone piracy ;)

drummerflea
13-06-2007, 13:30
Oh yes of course, I have Halo 2 Vista on the disk right here as a matter of fact. This is just a backup in case i accidentally run over my disk in my car, i seem to do that a lot. ;)

Can't wait to get a car..

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Oh and can someone do me a big ol' favour? With this torrent I'm downloading, can someone see what speed they get? I'm getting about 40-60 kbps.. Uploading at about 19kbps..

Obviously, only if you have Halo 2 Vista already, because this is just a backup of course! ;)

MovedGoalPosts
13-06-2007, 13:41
Torrents upload and download at different speeds. It's just how it works. If you got one at that high speed you know your download abilities are set OK. You now need to exercise patience and the rest will get there eventually.

Torrents are not supposed to be instant ;)

Mick Fisher
13-06-2007, 15:19
drummerflea.

3 things.

Swarms like that are a magnet for the copyright mafiaa. Get off it before your IP is noted. Still it's your funeral >shrugs<

I would guess that in such a swarm as you describe a very, very high percentage will be hit and runners who have their upload either completely switched off or severely cut down.

There are such animals as Port 80 Trackers, if this torrent is running on one and you still connect through a proxy then you will not be connectable, and there is zilch you can do about it.

videodj
13-06-2007, 16:39
Oh yes of course, I have Halo 2 Vista on the disk right here as a matter of fact. This is just a backup in case i accidentally run over my disk in my car, i seem to do that a lot. ;)

Can't wait to get a car..

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Oh and can someone do me a big ol' favour? With this torrent I'm downloading, can someone see what speed they get? I'm getting about 40-60 kbps.. Uploading at about 19kbps..

Obviously, only if you have Halo 2 Vista already, because this is just a backup of course! ;)

If you did have it already, surely you'd just make a copy of the original, rather than download it! ;)

drummerflea
13-06-2007, 18:18
Aha! That's there the problem is, I cannot copy DVD's.. ;)

TraxData
13-06-2007, 19:05
just register at good private trackers and enjoy 1mb/s downloads :)

drummerflea
14-06-2007, 10:53
Which websites would you reccomend?

MovedGoalPosts
14-06-2007, 11:30
The clue there is the word "private". The best sites are invite only.

J.D
14-06-2007, 14:17
I've rubbed out the content in which I reached these amazing speeds. Obviously it doesn't usually run like that hence the screenie ;).

I mostly use Newsgroups 95% of the time but there is the odd few times I'll have to hit torrents. I'm not much of a download freak now anyway. Download off peak and rarely as I'm a gamer.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3690/fastasstorrentstq3.th.jpg (http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fastasstorrentstq3.jpg)

1mb/s :disturbd::Yikes::shocked: :p:.

DeanSupreme uk
14-06-2007, 14:53
One of the best sites for speeds is Torrentleech i have found..Always maxes out my 10meg connection...but it's invite only.

xspeedyx
14-06-2007, 15:25
I have always achieved great speeds with bittorrent and never used private sites

TraxData
14-06-2007, 19:24
One of the best sites for speeds is Torrentleech i have found..Always maxes out my 10meg connection...but it's invite only.

Grabbin a torrent there @ 4.1mb/s (2x20mbit + load balancing router)

cant ask for anything better for torrents :D

drummerflea
14-06-2007, 19:37

Any chance of an invite ;)

Do you get a certain amount of invites? Or can you just invite lots of people?

Mick Fisher
15-06-2007, 16:25
Any chance of an invite ;)

Do you get a certain amount of invites? Or can you just invite lots of people?
Private sites are continuously weeding out hit and runners and folks who for one reason or another have let their accounts lapse into non-use. When they find they have a bit of space they will open up for new membership applications.

A good scheme is to make the site you are interested in joining your Home Page so you are less likely to miss an opportunity to sign up.

Giving out invites to strangers is iffy as you can run the risk of being banned yourself if your protege turns out to perform at below expectations.