PDA

View Full Version : Connection cutting out

md014
11-06-2007, 10:20
Hi all,

New here, but there seems to be a lot of knowledge here, hopefully someone can help with this really irriatating problem.

Been with Telewest/Virgin for 8 odd years, using broadband for 4 years, never had this problem until Friday.

It seems that my BB connection is fine and after 10-30 mins, it will just cut out, and all I get is a "cannot find server" on every page in IE. If I open a new broswer, I get the same message.

Now IF I have Azureus open when the cut out takes place, Azureus will remain connected, but as soon as I close it and try to re-open, it will not re-connect.

Now I have a Webstar DPX100, and the lights go as follows (when the cut out has happened): power - constant, PC - flashing, data - one quick flash every few seconds, cable - constant. Is the flashing PC light a problem?

The Modem status page (http://192.168.100.1/) is not available once the cut out has happened. I'm at work right now, so I cant check that page but the 33100000 thing was fine yesterday (sadly I cant search the problem for too long, before I lose connection). If I reboot the modem, or do "repair" on my LAN connection, nothing changes. However, if I reboot my PC, I get connection, until it decides that I "cannot find server" again.

I haven't tried calling 151 yet, hoping there might be somebody here to shed some light, as I'm hoping this could be something really simple and silly. Could it be the Webstar?

By the way, I live in Hayes, middx UB3, and I use the ethernet connection, using XP.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

r00t
11-06-2007, 10:33
:welcome:

Whilst your modem is online could you post us your configs please.
D/stream power & snr
And also U/stream power.

When you have a 'dropped' connection, whats happening with the lights, the cable light more than any.

And going by what you have posted above, "However, if I reboot my PC, I get connection, until it decides that I "cannot find server" again."
Tis a tad odd, are you using a router, patch cable or USB. The more info you can chuck at us the better mate, look forward to your reply.

Nice to see you here & I hope you stick around :tu:

md014
11-06-2007, 17:58
Hi R00t, and thanks for the welcome mate. Really appreciate your time.

I am using a patch cable, no router. When the connection goes down, the cable light is still constant, which baffles me. PC flashes - is that normal?

Now here are the figures:

Downstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz
Modulation
QAM256
Bit Rate
4096000 bps
Power Level
-0.93 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
36 dB

Upstream Status
Operational
Channel ID
Upstream Frequency
29000000 Hz
Bit Rate
384000 bps
Power Level
44.50 dBmV

Does anything look out of the ordinary here?

r00t
11-06-2007, 23:19
All looks fine.
Do you have another cable to use, maybe use a usb instead, and if using a ubs connection is fine I'd start looking at ya NIC.