PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling Virgin Broadband

cage
10-06-2007, 19:14
After 8 years and never a single problem with NTL, I'm now cancelling Virgin after only 1 week.

This is what I get for £37 a month... 3GB from 4pm till Midnight then 5mbit. All other times I get around 10mbit speeds, If I'm lucky I'll get about 1.2mb-1.3mb/sec download speeds.

Placed an order for bethere.co.uk, £24 a month gets me upto 24mbit and 1.3mb upload speeds.

Shame NTL/Telewest had to sell up to these wannabe's as Virgin are simply god awful.

Griffin
10-06-2007, 19:23
After 8 years and never a single problem with NTL, I'm now cancelling Virgin after only 1 week.

This is what I get for £37 a month... 3GB from 4pm till Midnight then 5mbit. All other times I get around 10mbit speeds, If I'm lucky I'll get about 1.2mb-1.3mb/sec download speeds.

Placed an order for bethere.co.uk, £24 a month gets me upto 24mbit and 1.3mb upload speeds.

Shame NTL/Telewest had to sell up to these wannabe's as Virgin are simply god awful.

You will find its NTL who acquired Virgin , not the other way round

jcw00
10-06-2007, 19:25

At the moment it's only a change in company name, the network is still the same. Why haven't you called customer services and logged this as a fault?

cage
10-06-2007, 19:25
You will find its NTL who acquired Virgin , not the other way round

I stand corrected then, either way, the service has changed from being solid excellent speeds to very poor and embarassing in a matter of days.

sputty
10-06-2007, 19:30
If it's happened in a matter of days, wouldn't it make sense to hold fire for a little while?

cage
10-06-2007, 19:31
At the moment it's only a change in company name, the network is still the same. Why haven't you called customer services and logged this as a fault?

I have, they have an engineer coming out to me tomorrow. The engineer can still come and have a look. I dont think you really get my point, 8 years with NTL brand and only ever had to call NTL once when my modem died. In 7 days with Virgin, I have poor speeds, shaping and an engineer visit after being on the phone to them. The engineer can come out all he wants, if he gets it more stable and faster then great but my go live date with BE is friday and its £13 cheaper so will be cancelled anyway I'm not taking the risk with virgin anymore.

jcw00
10-06-2007, 19:36
NTL/Telewest become Virgin back in February, so has the service been poor since then, or just the last 7 days?

hanzo
10-06-2007, 19:41
think im going to do the same, this service is disgusting..

:td::mad:

who are these idiots in charge

epson
10-06-2007, 19:49
Dont leave just yet,virgin media are so deep in ****,with people leaving by the thousand's daily,they will soon have to put the price down and shaping will stop,greed got them,ohhh and by the way richard branson,shave the goaty off,you look a right ****.

hanzo
10-06-2007, 19:52
Dont leave just yet,virgin media are so deep in ****,with people leaving by the thousand's daily,

hmmmmm i wonder why.. :rolleyes:

jcw00
10-06-2007, 19:56
According to Virgin's latest press release (http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1013195&highlight=) they are due to return to customer growth in the second quarter, so only at little unstable for 2-3 months.

alferret
10-06-2007, 20:06
Adios m8, enjoy ADSL :erm:

Bill C
10-06-2007, 20:08
Dont leave just yet,virgin media are so deep in ****,with people leaving by the thousand's daily,they will soon have to put the price down and shaping will stop,greed got them,ohhh and by the way richard branson,shave the goaty off,you look a right ****.

:rolleyes:

papa smurf
10-06-2007, 20:12
we'll keep your seat warm ,till you come back:p:

cage
10-06-2007, 20:37
NTL/Telewest become Virgin back in February, so has the service been poor since then, or just the last 7 days?

The last 7 days, since my move from 10mbit to the 20mbit joke service.

jcw00
10-06-2007, 20:40
The last 7 days, since my move from 10mbit to the 20mbit joke service.

Unless you are VERY close to the exchange you will struggle to 8Mb+

cage
10-06-2007, 20:41
we'll keep your seat warm ,till you come back:p:

Very thoughtful of you, ta.

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

Unless you are VERY close to the exchange you will struggle to 8Mb+

When I was on 10mbit, I hit 1.1mb/sec constant, without fail.

jcw00
10-06-2007, 20:45
When I was on 10mbit, I hit 1.1mb/sec constant, without fail.

That's good, at least you know what you are going to get with ADSL.

AdamD
10-06-2007, 20:51
I've only just joined VMedia's Broadband server and I to, am rather annoyed at how they go about doing things
Engineer arrived on time, which was great, but the service level was incorrect, they spelt my surname wrong
Since correcting the service level, they've put me on the wrong price plan (37 a month, as opposed to 29) and I dont get the goodies associated with the high end plan (the media plus thingy wants to charge me £4.95 a month, whereas it should be free)

I'm getting good download/upload speeds though, which is some consolation

cage
10-06-2007, 21:09
That's good, at least you know what you are going to get with ADSL.

Might be worse, might be better, but I know one thing guranteed, Virgin wont be getting anymore of my money....

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

just checked, im 980 meters from my exchange, fast adsl2+ here we come

zachysat
10-06-2007, 21:20
i have got to say that when ntl was running the businnes i hardly had any problems considering i have been with them for so many years but in the last month i have lost my broadband service already 3 times :mad:

zachysat

jcw00
10-06-2007, 21:24
just checked, im 980 meters from my exchange, fast adsl2+ here we come

I'm 7.1km from the exchange, and can't get ADSL and even if it did work it would only be 512Kbs. However my 2Mb connection with Telewest now Virgin has always been very good, only gone down twice in over 3 years.

lezwez
10-06-2007, 22:06
I dont see the problem 1.2mbps? on a 10 meg connection? that 10 meg at peak i understand be is cheaper but is the service going to better i never had adsl so im without a clue.

so the only reason i can see you leaveing is the shapping idea. i know thats a big problem its even worse with more than one person in a household with bandwidth junkie habbits i must admit i hate the idea of this shapping but everybody says no isp offers true unlimited like telewest used to be shame a good name went to waste

lerum
11-06-2007, 13:06
i have got to say that when ntl was running the businnes i hardly had any problems considering i have been with them for so many years but in the last month i have lost my broadband service already 3 times :mad:

zachysat
NTL still are running the business. The change to virgin media was just a rebrand.

Apness
11-06-2007, 16:41
Is there any way we can tell how good/bad the service with ADSL will be? I had ADSL (running at the same time as NTL Cable - Cancelled NTL, they screwed up, stayed with them as ADSL no faster than 2mb, tied in to year contract... :( ) and it wasn't very fast, only to find I was stuck with them for 12 months.

Just checked with Bethere and they list all their "up to 24mb" services as being available to me. This is a familiar scenario - signed up for 8mb last time, didn't even scrape 2mb so dropped to lowest package possible for remainder of contract and stuck with NTL after they screwed up cancelling my acocunt.

Now since Virgin took over (Feb?) speed all over the place when previously I'd get 10mb solid day in day out, and downtime galore, every week for hours/days at a time even. I've grit my teeth and put up with them, but not sure how much I can take, especially since customer service has been replaced with Indian robots.

Toto
11-06-2007, 17:12
I have, they have an engineer coming out to me tomorrow. The engineer can still come and have a look. I dont think you really get my point, 8 years with NTL brand and only ever had to call NTL once when my modem died. In 7 days with Virgin, I have poor speeds, shaping and an engineer visit after being on the phone to them. The engineer can come out all he wants, if he gets it more stable and faster then great but my go live date with BE is friday and its £13 cheaper so will be cancelled anyway I'm not taking the risk with virgin anymore.

7 Days of problems after 8 years of solid service, not had an engineer out yet to have a look and you want to cancel and risk a lower speed with Be???

Come on friend, really think carefully about this please.

If you're angling for a retention discount for goodness sake call VM and say so.

Safeman
11-06-2007, 18:27
Indian robots lmao thats a good one apness cage i feel you pain m8 its getting worse as the days go by but i was with bethere and it was crap for online games kept dropping out but they would of sorted it by now i think i got 8mb all the time coz i was 2.4k from the exchange good luck m8 with your hunt for better BB hope i dont follow you in the hunt looking that way doh lol

zer0
12-06-2007, 13:49
id do the same but dont really want to go back to bt
hope they sort out the current traffic shaping farce
or at least increase the mb limit

Agent47
12-06-2007, 20:57
When I had 4mb's I found the service to be perfect would always get 450k per sec, but since Ive went to 20mb's Im getting between 80k to 800k.

jcw00
12-06-2007, 21:04
When I had 4mb's I found the service to be perfect would always get 450k per sec, but since Ive went to 20mb's Im getting between 80k to 800k.

What did customer services say and do?

Agent47
12-06-2007, 21:11
What did customer services say and do?

I'm not gonna bother phoning up. They will probably spout some pish about there being no problems etc.

I do have an Ambit 100 ntl branded modem.

Im paying £25 for 20mb's at the moment so I'll see if it improves over the next few months.

jcw00
12-06-2007, 21:18
I'm not gonna bother phoning up. They will probably spout some pish about there being no problems etc.

Im paying £25 for 20mb's at the moment so I'll see if it improves over the next few months.

I would still call customer services and ask for some rebate. Telewest's mail servers were blacklisted last month and I couldn't send mail via them (had to use another SMTP server). Customer Services gave me 50% off my monthly bill without any question!

arcamalpha2004
12-06-2007, 22:56
They really are taking the liberties.
Their latest broadband advert tonight showing some woman exposed to g factor speed, pathetic.

j1nd0
16-06-2007, 08:10
Was also a loyal NTL customer for years Since virgin media bought it over its become a shambles.The customer support is non existent and for the last 3 months the service has been below acceptable.My service was fine for years , so ive had enough.Signed up with BT and BE 24, great service from both.
Getting connection speeds of 18mb from BE24 at peak times and im just under 2km from my exchange.Changed my TV service over to SKY as well, bye bye Virgin :tu:

Safeman
16-06-2007, 08:23
ask for the new 300 modem m8 see if it improves if not do wot you said and leave VMHELL

fizgog
18-06-2007, 07:28
They really are taking the liberties.
Their latest broadband advert tonight showing some woman exposed to g factor speed, pathetic.

It should have a clock on it so when it gets to 4pm then it will start to slow down and eventually stall ;)

Toilet-Duck
18-06-2007, 07:40
ask for the new 300 modem m8 see if it improves if not do wot you said and leave VMHELL

Since when has there been a VirginMedia 300 series modem?! :confused:

raycable
19-02-2008, 16:29
I can only offer my sympathies mate i understand how crap VM BB is. I have been with the apprx 16 mths have had x6 engineers visits to my location in liverpool to sort this out. Im on a 20mbit rarely get that when DL stuff, i do feel sorry for VM support as these are the people we customers blame for crap service but its no their fault its the systems managers and management to blame. They have the ear of Bransons ******s! and tell him oh yeah we can buy NTL-TELEW and others then whatch is all fall apart and charge the dickehead UK public as much as we like ( as they put up with anything )

Back to my story so here is what i do

1.Refuse to pay your BB for the time its down (VM will refund)
2.Make sure all calls you made to Virgin be it support or other are refunded
3.Keep a log of when and how long your service is down or at fault
4.You can request that you cable to your house is re installed

Vm is in such a state that it take a x5 step process to get a tech call sorted out sometimes you get a NTL support person others telewest then if your luck so poor sod in bangladesh who cant speak god english ( not his fauult blame the git who gave him the job)

This is my last straw with VM i have got a VM engineers mobile so he will come out and replace them SBS150 router with a different make (cant remember the name) after which if things dont improve I will give VM their equipment back and go back to adsl hopefully next year my xchange will be adsl2.

Last gripe this is typical of the state of affairs within the UK a the moment we the public pay too much tax and recieve right old shafting by governmemt and big shitty companies like VM. Theres no big industry left in the UK anymore so youd think with the UK being the scam capital of europe we would a least have a decent IT backbone with all the taxes we pay. I hope that anyone who reads this sits back and thinks enough is enough its time for people to say sod off we have had enough, I know i have :(

cleshe
19-02-2008, 17:16

I know nothing about bethere.co.uk
I do know my daughter swapped to ADSL a month ago with the promise of "up to 24Mbps". She's lucky to get 2Mb , she's 4 km from her exchange. How far are you?
Better the devil you know in my opinion, which is what I told her before she swapped.12 months is a long time to wait to swap back.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

I do have an Ambit 100 ntl branded modem.

You need a new modem. That one cannot cope with 20Mbps, no way .

lordy
19-02-2008, 17:44
I know nothing about bethere.co.uk
I do know my daughter swapped to ADSL a month ago with the promise of "up to 24Mbps". She's lucky to get 2Mb , she's 4 km from her exchange. How far are you?
Better the devil you know in my opinion, which is what I told her before she swapped.12 months is a long time to wait to swap back.

If your daughter is with Be I'd be surprised if the told her up to 24M right to the bitter end (signing the contract). The marketing blurb may say that, but there is usually a web based check or post code check first.

In any case, you can get out of the Be Value contract by upgrading to BeUnlimited and then cancelling with 3 month notice. This is a known loophole that Be have not bothered to close.

4km is a long line. If you could find her attenuation then with optimal internal wiring, router and line noise conditions she could hit the yellow line on the following graph
http://www.beforum.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=3875
Still Virgin M package may be better.

Nicosia
20-02-2008, 21:57

i wouldent expect any better from bethere, they have a 2.5meg upload on the pro package to. but you will basically see the same speeds as u do with ur VM and u have to be next door to exchange to see any good speeds
even ukonline stopped their 24meg and supply up to 16 now. I would think twice about moving to adsl, i made that mistake when ukonline offered 8megs and ntl was only offering 1.5megs.

the adsl line always drops poor speeds most the time. i am 2km away from exchange and when i was lucky to get 11megs but the line kept dropping every 5 minutes, ukonline had to keep dropping my speed.

Hope u have better luck with adsl then i did

---------- Post added at 01:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 ----------

I've only just joined VMedia's Broadband server and I to, am rather annoyed at how they go about doing things
Engineer arrived on time, which was great, but the service level was incorrect, they spelt my surname wrong
Since correcting the service level, they've put me on the wrong price plan (37 a month, as opposed to 29) and I dont get the goodies associated with the high end plan (the media plus thingy wants to charge me £4.95 a month, whereas it should be free)

I'm getting good download/upload speeds though, which is some consolation

i see ur with be there pro... im very intrested to see how good the 2.5 meg upload is?

Welshie
22-02-2008, 09:12
Just to post an opinion from the other side of the fence.....

I had VM in my old house (20Mbit) and literally had 0 problems in 2 years of service. A nice constant 2.4MB/s downstream.

Now I recently moved to an area where there is only analogue cable, so have had to go with sky. I am about 5km from the exchange and I get 3.2Mbit on a really good day.

For the first 3 months, I would get massive crackling on the line every time it rained, which of course would drop the connection. BT have eventually fixed this.

If I could move back to VM I would do so in a flash.

So, overall, I would side with the person who said that after 8 years of good service, perhaps you should think a bit longer before making the leap away. The grass isn't always greener......

Cammy
22-02-2008, 13:51
I remember doing the same, i went to ADSL and it was shockingly bad, and i mean i was left with no internet for months. It was up and down like a hookers knickers, then 1 month it would be great, then it would start dropping everytime someone phoned. Problem after problem that never got fixed.

Back to NTL/Virgin and have had a faultless year. I'd deffo call CS and have things checked out.

I don't get why people always say their CS is bad as well, i've only had to phone a few times, but i've always been greated with a very nice person, apart from once i had some indian lady who didnt seem to know her left from right :td:

Good luck in whatever you do anyway.