PDA

View Full Version : hey guys....

Polaseeds
09-06-2007, 21:37
i am new to this forum can someone help me im on the 10mb/346kb but i im only getting 6mb download :(

also wats 20mb in kbps??

peace

Hugh
09-06-2007, 21:52
i am new to this forum can someone help me im on the 10mb/346kb but i im only getting 6mb download :(

also wats 20mb in kbps??

peace

If that's thru speedtest, try downloading a big file from Microsoft or one of the blueyonder games sites to get a more accurate consistent speed reading.

20Mb in Kb is 20,000Kb (1 megabit is 1000 kilobits) - be careful of not confusing Mb and MB, and Kb and KB;
Mb = Megabits,
Kb = Kilobits,
MB = Megabytes,
KB = Kilobytes.

8 bits to a byte, so if something says 500KB, it equals 4000Kb (or 4Mb).
So if you are on 10Mb, if you download something that measures speed in KB, you should be getting approx 1.1 - 1.25MB/sec (ideally).

HTH

Paul
09-06-2007, 21:54

also wats 20mb in kbps??

peaceWhat speed is your PC network card (and/or router if you use one). Sounds a bit like one of them may only be a 10M/bit.

Mick Fisher
09-06-2007, 21:59
Do you connect via USB.
Do you use zone alarm.
Do you use NIS
Answering yes to any or more of the above could be an answer to your problem. Note: Both NIS and ZA MUST be completely uninstalled to make a difference.
Of course there is always the question of, is your modem capable of 10meg?
You don't mention whether this is a recent development or whether you have always had the problem.
It could be that your UBR is over subscribed.

Polaseeds
09-06-2007, 22:06
What speed is your PC network card (and/or router if you use one). Sounds a bit like one of them may only be a 10M/bit.

Its built in to my new laptop so its a good one 100mb??

Do you connect via USB.
Do you use zone alarm.
Do you use NIS
Answering yes to any or more of the above could be an answer to your problem. Note: Both NIS and ZA MUST be completely uninstalled to make a difference.
Of course there is always the question of, is your modem capable of 10meg?
You don't mention whether this is a recent development or whether you have always had the problem.
It could be that your UBR is over subscribed.

i dont use usb.
i dont use ZA i use Norton 360
i have have this problem for around 3months we i upgraded to th XL package.

the modem i have is a WebStar EPC2100.

:cool:

Mick Fisher
10-06-2007, 17:03
Its built in to my new laptop so its a good one 100mb??
Make sure it is set to auto negotiation.

i dont use usb.
i dont use ZA i use Norton 360
i have have this problem for around 3months we i upgraded to th XL package.

the modem i have is a WebStar EPC2100.

:cool:
There have been reports of various problems with various norton products. Personally I wouldn't have a norton product on my PC.

Sorry I am not familiar with modems on the BY network but I'm sure somebody will adise on that.

Diadem
10-06-2007, 20:04
If that's thru speedtest, try downloading a big file from Microsoft or one of the blueyonder games sites to get a more accurate consistent speed reading.

20Mb in Kb is 20,000Kb (1 megabit is 1000 kilobits) - be careful of not confusing Mb and MB, and Kb and KB;
Mb = Megabits,
Kb = Kilobits,
MB = Megabytes,
KB = Kilobytes.

8 bits to a byte, so if something says 500KB, it equals 4000Kb (or 4Mb).
So if you are on 10Mb, if you download something that measures speed in KB, you should be getting approx 1.1 - 1.25MB/sec (ideally).

HTH
dont wonna sound bitchy but check your maths here dont miss the 24/48 bits that you have forgotten about.

punky
10-06-2007, 20:20
Your modem is incapable of providing speeds about 6mb. You'll need to have it replaced by VM.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33606414-new-10mb-internet-user.html
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/printthread.php?t=548372

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Also there is a page on VM's website dicussing advising customers if they need modem upgrades. Webstar isn't mention on there though.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/current_service.html

Hugh
10-06-2007, 21:13
dont wonna sound bitchy but check your maths here dont miss the 24/48 bits that you have forgotten about.

I was trying to provide a simple, easy to understand guide - I believed that bringing in 1024/2048/etc would only confuse things (more) for someone who had issues with kbps and Mb. ;)

lezwez
10-06-2007, 23:15
what difference does NSI make i have been useing it for the past 6 months never had problems due to the software eaither was my line or some fariy story Virgin makes up?

Mick Fisher
11-06-2007, 16:32
what difference does NSI make i have been useing it for the past 6 months never had problems due to the software eaither was my line or some fariy story Virgin makes up?
Erm.. Do you mean NIS?

If you are using it and have no problems then good for you.

Unfortunately many people do have problems with it that are only resolved by the complete uninstallation of the product.

This information is also applies to Zone Alarm.

If you choose to think it is all a fairy story then that is your perogative.

I may not have fully understood you, maybe you would consider including a little punctuation as an aid to legibility.

lezwez
11-06-2007, 19:01
norton NIS i ment. i was refering to the past problems i had 100KBps with a 10 meg connection which was quite frustrating and i was told all sorts over the phone that everything is ok bla bla bla one to many people tell you so many different things are fine and line testing so on im sure you know what i mean and it could be this or that the problems are then they are talking crap this is virgin im on about not symantec.

i was even called a Thifth by some person on the phone but thats another story.

im not saying nobody has problems with NIS i was just giveing my opinion on Vigin media that not everybody is so helpfull

and no i have never had prolems with norton would you point out please what they may be? the problems that so many people are haveing and i might be able to prevent such things in the furture for myself and others or i may have a problem That i might not know of.

Hugh
11-06-2007, 21:21
What's a "Thifth"?

Mick Fisher
12-06-2007, 18:14
and no i have never had prolems with norton would you point out please what they may be? the problems that so many people are haveing and i might be able to prevent such things in the furture for myself and others or i may have a problem That i might not know of.
Googling "Problems with NIS" threw up

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,120,000 English pages for problems (http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/problems%26r%3D67&usg=AFQjCNEY4YNohQJEJ2oD4e2gGeycwcYOig) with NIS (http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://www.answers.com/nis%26r%3D67&usg=AFQjCNFPZ4B0I729E342MMsc9PnoVY5RpA)

Have a read, :LOL: should keep you occupied for a while.