PDA

View Full Version : Church of England versus Sony

Tezcatlipoca
09-06-2007, 16:42
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6736809.stm

Cathedral row over computer game

The Church of England is considering legal action against entertainment firm Sony for featuring Manchester Cathedral in a violent Playstation computer game.

The Church says Sony did not obtain permission to use the interior in the war game 'Resistance - Fall of Man.'

The game, which has sold more than one million copies, shows a virtual shoot-out in the cathedral's nave in which hundreds of soldiers are killed.

Just seen this on New24.

Featured the usual anti-game sensationalism beloved by the media.

I think I'm with Sony on this one :erm:

- It's a GAME.

- It's just fantasy, just entertainment.

- It's in the future & you battle ALIENS.

- It's a PEGI-18 certificate... so who cares if it's "violent"...it's not meant for kids.

cimt
09-06-2007, 16:54
I can just see it, a new Tekken game, the main arenas are in church's and cathedrals, it's the Christians vs everyone else, you get to blow everything in it up with Sony management having tag-team matches with the Christians, what a brilliant game....

Anyway to the point, it is only a game. Why complain? Do the people at the Church ever play video games? :erm: What a total ****e reason to take legal action against.

joglynne
09-06-2007, 17:21
Taking legal action on this seems to be a bit over the top. As the game can hardly be withdrawn at this stage I can only assume the church is trying to get monetary compensation.

I wonder if they have any chance of winning this case if it does go to court. There must be other games etc. that are set in or feature real locations and if a precedent is set, or could be applied retrospectively, it would mean a fair few companies having to pay damages/restitution (I don't know what it would be classed as)

papa smurf
09-06-2007, 18:24
its fantasy set in a building where fantasy is preached.....next case please

TheDaddy
09-06-2007, 18:25
"Every year we invite hundreds of teenagers to come and see the cathedral

No need now, many will not only have seen it but will have blown holes in large parts of it, virtually of course

Tezcatlipoca
09-06-2007, 19:09
Seems it's not even an 18.

I got that from Wiki, but it's only a PEGI-18 in Europe.

In the UK, Resistance has a BBFC 15 certificate (same as COD3)... so it can't be that violent...God of War II & Gears of War are both BBFC 18s.

Must be a slow news day - it's still the lead story on News24 :rolleyes:

They seem to be tieing it in to kids being killed by gun crime :rolleyes:

They had some woman on from "Mothers Against Violence" criticising it, & saying there's currently a "war on for our childrens' minds" & that "somebody needs to stand up to makers of violent games" :rolleyes:

It's just a GAME.

It does not train you to go around Moss Side shooting children.

I fail to see what a simple legal matter regarding Sony allegedly setting part of a game within a Cathedral without proper permission has to do with gun crime.

I bet that this story is front page news on the Mail on Sunday...

"Satanic Sony desecrates Manchester Cathedral in evil violent computer game! Disgustingly violent game 'Resistance' is rotting Our Children's Minds, & training them to kill!!!!!!!!!"

They love all this rubbish...they did that ridiculous Sony goat story too...

Stuart
09-06-2007, 19:16
This is one of two things.

1) An attempt by Sony to gain publicity for the PS3 (they have done this before)

2) An attempt by the Church of England to milk cash for compensation.

papa smurf
09-06-2007, 19:54
This is one of two things.

1) An attempt by Sony to gain publicity for the PS3 (they have done this before)

2) An attempt by the Church of England to milk cash for compensation.

i think its the marrio family;)[super marrio family]:D

jtwn
09-06-2007, 19:56
its fantasy set in a building where fantasy is preached.....next case please

Well said smurf ;)

But anyway....the Church of England - sueing? Quite a nice business they got there then.

Halcyon
10-06-2007, 10:39
I think that Sony should have atleast asked permission to feature the building.

greencreeper
15-06-2007, 22:10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6758381.stm

The response is brilliant - my sort of response to a complaint :rofl:

The letter from Sony said: "We do not accept that there is any connection between contemporary issues of 21st Century Manchester and a work of science fiction in which a fictitious 1950s Britain is under attack by aliens
Subtle sarcasm - love it :D

"It is not our intention to cause offence by using a representation of Manchester Cathedral in chapter eight of the work. If we have done so we sincerely apologise."
Note the "representation" - no actual admission.

AntiSilence
15-06-2007, 22:12
I don't think they've done anything wrong.

greencreeper
15-06-2007, 22:15
I don't think they've done anything wrong.
Me neither, and judging by the letter, neither do Sony :D

punky
15-06-2007, 22:22
Quite funny how the church is chastising Sony for distributing violence-depicting media

greencreeper
15-06-2007, 22:26
Plus, given falling attendance at church, you'd think they'd be grateful for the additional visitors. Even if they are carrying guns and looking for aliens :erm:

It'll be the tablets. Or lack of them.

Alien
16-06-2007, 00:32
Religious organisations over-reacting to something? Surely not? :rolleyes:

icestar2
16-06-2007, 03:13
I have to agree with the people who say they dont think sony did anything wrong. I also agree though that maybe they should of asked permission or at least let the church know it would be in the game.

I had the game and complete it. I enjoyed it very much from the begining to the end. I remember the part in the church and didnt think anything of it until I noticed this post. Howerver I do believe this is probably good publicity for both companys - Yes I know that a church is not meant to be a company but I have an uncle who is a Dioceses and I see how they are run.

I hope I didnt offend any catholics with my comments which I belive to be true but in any case if I offended you then I appologise.

marky
16-06-2007, 03:22
ADMIN EDIT (Russ) - RACIST COMMENTS REMOVED

Slyder
16-06-2007, 15:52
I dont remember people moaning over films like Stigmata etc etc etc... :rolleyes:

God knows how this is any different... no pun intended

TheNorm
16-06-2007, 19:15
Earlier, David Wilson, a Sony spokesman, told The Times newspaper: "It is game-created footage, it is not video or photography. "It is entertainment, like Doctor Who or any other science fiction. It is not based on reality at all. Throughout the whole process we have sought permission where necessary."

If it is not based on reality then why did they use the interior of a real building?

Tezcatlipoca
16-06-2007, 20:36
'Cos it's set in a real place, but in an alternate timeline in which aliens have invaded 1950s Earth...

TheNorm
17-06-2007, 08:45
So it's at least partially based on reality. Maybe the Church has a case after all?

Stuart
18-06-2007, 09:06
I dont remember people moaning over films like Stigmata etc etc etc... :rolleyes:

God knows how this is any different... no pun intended

Actually, in the case of one film, Dogma, they did.

AntiSilence
18-06-2007, 18:12
Actually, in the case of one film, Dogma, they did.

Fantastic film, Dogma. Saw it at the cinema.

Not to mention when Life Of Brian was released! :rolleyes: