PDA

View Full Version : Online Gaming and VM Connection = LAGG

jpbluff
08-06-2007, 17:22
Can anyone offer any advise???

I play WoW online for last 2 years. I used to have a 512 connection for 1 and half years of that time and no problems at all. Went up to 2mb and things still fine Until......the Brand change of Cable & wirless to VM.

Most evenings now i connect to WoW, get about 30mins of game play then lag hits and dc from server, this carry's on for the rest of the evening.

I have called India :o) 100's of times and had various engineer's visit but to no avail. I understand that the VM network is pushed to its limits at the moment and the launch of the new 20mb connections cant be helping but is this really fair to customers who have been with VM (Cable) for 6+ years.

Since problems I have had new Modem (Motorola) upped connection to 4mb but still same issues (seems to have gotten a lot worse the past 2-3 weeks/0

Any advise from out there??????

JackSon
08-06-2007, 17:26
Any routers or switches in the equation?

Performed traceroutes to the server when lag hits?

Big Niall
08-06-2007, 17:49
I also play a lot of online games, CSS, Rappelz. etc.
I am only on a 2mb connection and ( touch wood) most of the time it is fine.
I live in Wiltshire, but another member of our guild, also a VM but a 20MB connection & lives in a tottaly different area, has problems all the time.

So it could be the area & useage, or as JackSon say, might be hardware.

ukxenon
08-06-2007, 18:45
YOU PLAY WOW that your problem right there.....it isnt VM service what is rubbish but the blizz servers.
I used to play wow myself i was a priest then they did a free server trans to my server and that just killed our server due to over population and guess what blizz said theres nothing wrong with the server.

Check population and check times it lags if it is around 10pm then it maybe due to the yanks login on at once or maybe the server just sucks as most of blizz servers do.

Safeman
08-06-2007, 18:56
same here online after 6pm sucks big time had np when it was ntl

blade85
08-06-2007, 23:23
iv been reading a lot of these issues...and they are generally 99% WOW related :confused::confused:

i mainly play FPS games like BF2142 and UT2004. My normal pings, irrespective of time of day, on euro servers is around 15-30 on bf2142 and around 30-50 on ut. basically that is 0 lag in game.

Incomplete
09-06-2007, 14:27
YOU PLAY WOW that your problem right there.....it isnt VM service what is rubbish but the blizz servers.
I used to play wow myself i was a priest then they did a free server trans to my server and that just killed our server due to over population and guess what blizz said theres nothing wrong with the server.

Check population and check times it lags if it is around 10pm then it maybe due to the yanks login on at once or maybe the server just sucks as most of blizz servers do.

As a wow player I have to say I don't think you know what you're talking about.

The 'yanks' have their own servers, they don't use European ones.

Servers can't get overpopulated, when they hit cap they start a queue.

rvspeter07
13-06-2007, 01:06
iv been reading a lot of these issues...and they are generally 99% WOW related :confused::confused:

i mainly play FPS games like BF2142 and UT2004. My normal pings, irrespective of time of day, on euro servers is around 15-30 on bf2142 and around 30-50 on ut. basically that is 0 lag in game.

Ditto.

Nedkelly
13-06-2007, 07:24
Some gamers i know use ping plotter to see where the lag is before they ring vm i will admit somtimes it is vm but sometimes it is other servers :)

jpbluff
13-06-2007, 15:30
but problem is when my connection drops and i get disconnected from WoW it disconnects me from all internet connections, even after restarts still can't connect or launch IE until about an hour later. At least now i can look forward to the 25p calls to India to tell them my connection is knackered yet again ;o)

Uncle Peter
13-06-2007, 15:52
but problem is when my connection drops and i get disconnected from WoW it disconnects me from all internet connections, even after restarts still can't connect or launch IE until about an hour later. At least now i can look forward to the 25p calls to India to tell them my connection is knackered yet again ;o)

Have you checked the status of your modem when this happens? your connection might be dropping completely due to a fault at the ubr or poor signal at your premises.

Mcshane123
13-06-2007, 18:38
It's a problem with NTL dont let anyone tell you different i've just ordered a BT phone line, and am going to cancel my VM services as they are absolutely ****e for gaming, i imagine they'll be a lot of customers that use their connections for gaming to follow and do the same if things are improved drastically

Tawton9
14-06-2007, 17:58
Can anyone offer any advise???

I play WoW online for last 2 years. I used to have a 512 connection for 1 and half years of that time and no problems at all. Went up to 2mb and things still fine Until......the Brand change of Cable & wirless to VM.

Most evenings now i connect to WoW, get about 30mins of game play then lag hits and dc from server, this carry's on for the rest of the evening.

I have called India :o) 100's of times and had various engineer's visit but to no avail. I understand that the VM network is pushed to its limits at the moment and the launch of the new 20mb connections cant be helping but is this really fair to customers who have been with VM (Cable) for 6+ years.

Since problems I have had new Modem (Motorola) upped connection to 4mb but still same issues (seems to have gotten a lot worse the past 2-3 weeks/0

Any advise from out there??????

Ever thought of doing a Virus/Spyware test :p: Its not always your internet connection!