PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media doesnt support VPN traffic anymore

sergiobm
07-06-2007, 19:03
Hello,

I am a Virgin Media broadband user. I had NTL for more than 2 years and I could always connect to a VPN from home.

Since 1 month ago (moreless when virgin media took over NTL) they dont allow VPN traffic anymore, since this makes a big use of your connection.

The reason they give to customers is that VPN are usually related to professional use (connect to your workplace) so users must upgrade their connection to use "professional services" (pay more).

I would like to ask everyone to file a complaint with the customer service, since this is an abuse of the terms of the contract.

The customer services number is: 0800 0529403

It will take you 5-10 minutes to do the complaint. Please, all Virgin Media clients should make this complaint whether you use VPN or not. This, once again, is another abuse from a company who is only worried about doing profit rather than offering a good customer service.

Think when you had (that I am sure you do) problems with NTL in the past... and file a complaint.

Thank you all very much

Sergio.

Wicked_and_Crazy
07-06-2007, 19:07
I use a VPN connection to work and it was working when i last used it on Monday.

T777
07-06-2007, 19:09
My VPN has just connected fine.

What makes you think they've blocked VPN traffic? Have they told you this, or are you just unable to connect to your VPN? It may be a problem with your VPN connection...? :)

Bill C
07-06-2007, 19:12
Just checked mine and connected first time ?

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Hello,

I am a Virgin Media broadband user. I had NTL for more than 2 years and I could always connect to a VPN from home.

Since 1 month ago (moreless when virgin media took over NTL) they dont allow VPN traffic anymore, since this makes a big use of your connection.

The reason they give to customers is that VPN are usually related to professional use (connect to your workplace) so users must upgrade their connection to use "professional services" (pay more).

I would like to ask everyone to file a complaint with the customer service, since this is an abuse of the terms of the contract.

It will take you 5-10 minutes to do the complaint. Please, all Virgin Media clients should make this complaint whether you use VPN or not. This, once again, is another abuse from a company who is only worried about doing profit rather than offering a good customer service.

Think when you had (that I am sure you do) problems with NTL in the past... and file a complaint.

Thank you all very much

Sergio.

Virgin do NOT block VPN fact.

JohnHorb
07-06-2007, 19:14
To add another - I've never had any issues with VPN over Virgin. Don't know where the OP got his info from.

Bill C
07-06-2007, 19:15
To add another - I've never had any issues with VPN over Virgin. Don't know where the OP got his info from.

Indeed :tu:

Wicked_and_Crazy
07-06-2007, 19:16

Plus, how can VPN be classed as high traffic. Depends on what its being used for.

Stuart
07-06-2007, 19:17
Hello,

Thank you all very much

Sergio.

:welcome: to the forum.

Where did you get your info? I've been told (on several occassions) that NTL (and Virgin Media) took the position that while they didn't specifically ban VPN, it was not supported. So, they won't stop you doing it, but may not help you if it doesn't work.

Bill C
07-06-2007, 19:18
Plus, how can VPN be classed as high traffic. Depends on what its being used for.

As i stated Virgin Do NOT block VPN and never have. Where the OP gets this from i have no idea but i have been using my VPN all day.

Wicked_and_Crazy
07-06-2007, 19:27
As i stated Virgin Do NOT block VPN and never have. Where the OP gets this from i have no idea but i have been using my VPN all day.

As i stated mine works too ;)

When the OP has 1 post and this is the only post what can be expected!

Graham M
07-06-2007, 19:41
Perhaps your IP has changed? Some servers don't like dynamic IPs.

Bill C
07-06-2007, 19:41
As i stated mine works too ;)

When the OP has 1 post and this is the only post what can be expected!

so true :)

You can bet someone will say " oh thats happening to me as well" :LOL:

Hugh
07-06-2007, 20:19
My VPN connection has been working fine all day.

(and for the last month)

jubbi
07-06-2007, 20:38
I'd like to add that my Cisco VPN connection works great over VM, although it does take the entire connection over.

Bill C
07-06-2007, 20:41
Well i think we have our answer :)

MovedGoalPosts
07-06-2007, 20:50
My VPN works OK too - except when the server I connect to dies, an all too frequent event :(

It's always been in the AUP that VM (or predecessors) don't support VPN, and can ask you to remove it if you create a problem. That's more likely to be the case if you are hosting the VPN server on your home connection.

Zheez
07-06-2007, 21:05
I quite often establish an IPsec VPN to my NetScreen firewall on my Virgin connection and have never had a problem. Have been connected to it from work quite a lot in recent weeks.

So yes, as we've all already concluded, it's quite obvious that they aren't blocking any VPN connections.

Virgin Media
07-06-2007, 21:30
I was unable to connect to VPN's for a week or so but never assumed it was due to banning. Just accepted that it was due ot the upgrade sin my area.

sergiobm
08-06-2007, 11:50
Where are you connecting from? I am in Cambridge and neither me or any other work colleagues can connect from here.

To be more specific, we can connect and ping the different computers, but once the traffic on the connection get busier (for example by opening MSTSC or something like that) the traffic doesnt route back to my computer anymore.

Monitoring the VPN, everything works fine in the server side. I.e. it receives "data" from my "remote computer" and send data back... but the latter never arrives.

I then called VirginMedia support service and they told me that what I am trying to do is "professional use" of my domestic broadband and it is not allowed.

For those who can use VPN... how are you connecting? Windows/Linux? straight cable to the cable modem/Router? what area?

Thanks.

davidholdgate
08-06-2007, 18:00
Hello

This is my first post on this forum.

I was able to use my SecureID/VPN in the former Telewest area (EH10) until Wednesday (2 days ago).

Now I can't. The VM helpline/callcentre say that VM do not support VPNs. The former Telewest helpdesk in Scotland say there are no current reasons why my VPN connection should fail. I cannot ping the VPN servers (main and reserve). BT who admin the servers have confirmed that they are both operational.

The very helpful BT admin (who will remain nameless) told me later (after I called him back with what I had found out) that he and his colleagues had spent the time since my first call swapping Telewest stories, to which this has been added (ie. Their must be an issue with another upgrade or DNS server).

This is all on top of the fun I had last week when I found out that the VM mail servers had been blacklisted by messagelabs again (and VM admitted it, but didn't seem sure what was being done to fix it).

Has anyone got any suggestions (other than moving back to BT)?

Thanks

Hugh
08-06-2007, 18:04
I am using Windows XP SP2 Dell laptop and Cisco VPN Client with SecurID, through a Linksys router, on VM 4Mb in NW Leeds, and it has been working fine all day, not affecting the other PC's attached to the router.

Bill C
08-06-2007, 18:10
Hello

This is my first post on this forum.

I was able to use my SecureID/VPN in the former Telewest area (EH10) until Wednesday (2 days ago).

Now I can't. The VM helpline/callcentre say that VM do not support VPNs. The former Telewest helpdesk in Scotland say there are no current reasons why my VPN connection should fail. I cannot ping the VPN servers (main and reserve). BT who admin the servers have confirmed that they are both operational.

The very helpful BT admin (who will remain nameless) told me later (after I called him back with what I had found out) that he and his colleagues had spent the time since my first call swapping Telewest stories, to which this has been added (ie. Their must be an issue with another upgrade or DNS server).

This is all on top of the fun I had last week when I found out that the VM mail servers had been blacklisted by messagelabs again (and VM admitted it, but didn't seem sure what was being done to fix it).

Has anyone got any suggestions (other than moving back to BT)?

Thanks

I use Secure id to login to work and have logged in twice today. And i can also log into my VPN. Why do they say its blocked if there are plenty of users on here using VPN. Tech support if its India you spoke to have it totally wrong as is the normal case.

Use a bit of common sense here. Do not support does not mean Blocked :rolleyes:

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-06-2007, 18:19
I use Secure id to login to work

Same here, just logged on 5 mins ago

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Where are you connecting from? I am in Cambridge and neither me or any other work colleagues can connect from here.

Have you thought that your work colleagues are all trying to connect to the same place as you and therefore it might actually be your work end thats causing the problem. Has anyone tried a non NTL connection into your workplace?

Bill C
08-06-2007, 18:23

Have you thought that your work colleagues are all trying to connect to the same place as you and therefore it might actually be your work end thats causing the problem. Has anyone tried a non NTL connection into your workplace?

Well said

I said this the other day and i will say it again. VIRGIN DO NOT BLOCK VPN. They do not support it and they DO NOT BLOCK VPN. :rolleyes:

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-06-2007, 18:27
I said this the other day and i will say it again. VIRGIN DO NOT BLOCK VPN. then do not support it but they DO NOT BLOCK VPN. :rolleyes:

Which is a real pain because if it were a fault of Virgin you cant get it sorted. I dont really see why they dont support it, i know all the professional use B$ and therefore you should be a business user, but as long as your not hosting a VPN server then there shouldnt be an issue. (even though i do ;))

Ekin
08-06-2007, 23:48
Just to add, my openVPN is working fine here.

mark233a
09-06-2007, 00:14
I just used VPN to connect in Nottingham. It worked fine for me.

Hugh
09-06-2007, 08:32
Which is a real pain because if it were a fault of Virgin you cant get it sorted. I dont really see why they dont support it, i know all the professional use B$ and therefore you should be a business user, but as long as your not hosting a VPN server then there shouldnt be an issue. (even though i do ;))
But if they "support" it, then SLA's come into force (usually), and people/customers start screaming when those SLA's aren't met; that's why VM (and BT and Verizon and Thus and C&W, etc etc) have Business tariffs - you pay more for the service to get the appropriate SLA's, and there is usually a refund of loss of revenue part of the contract - no company is going to do that for £17-37 per month.

sergiobm
09-06-2007, 12:04

Of course I have tried to connect from a non NTL connection... and It worked fine... otherwise I wouldnt have rised the issue.

The problem comes when you try to connect from a Windows machine which is connected straight to the cable modem (or using a normal router).

When connecting through a Linux Box it works fine. really odd.... any suggestions?

Bill C
09-06-2007, 12:37
When connecting through a Linux Box it works fine. really odd.... any suggestions?

So you made this statement that Virgin block VPN and ask people to waste there time making complaints, Then you admit that you can use Virgin but only if you are using Linux

So how is that Virgins fault or is it a case of blame them anyway because i cannot get it working :rolleyes:

So here we go again blame Virgin even when its not there fault :rolleyes:

MovedGoalPosts
09-06-2007, 12:38
Does the Linux machine also connect via a router, or on if using the modem direct?

I'd be looking at your windows PC - firewall and other security software settings, and then the software settings forming your VPN connection.

Mr Clean
09-06-2007, 12:51
IF it connects through Linux but not Windows, how can it be blocked by Virgin? Impossible.

Clearly you have an issue with your windows system and it's nothing to do with the connection(Virgin)

I use VPN and VNC to multiple servers around the world from here. No issue's at all. Never had a problem.

Rik
09-06-2007, 13:11
I cant believe the OP forgot to include that critical piece of information, that he can connect fine from a nix box, and you wonder why VM are going to start charging 25p/min for Tech support, when you have these people wasting tech supports time.

VPN is not blocked at all by VM, which is obvious now as his Linux box works fine.

VM are not a Tech Support line for all your pc probs!! :mad:

dev
09-06-2007, 13:55
I cant believe the OP forgot to include that critical piece of information, that he can connect fine from a nix box, and you wonder why VM are going to start charging 25p/min for Tech support, when you have these people wasting tech supports time.

VPN is not blocked at all by VM, which is obvious now as his Linux box works fine.

VM are not a Tech Support line for all your pc probs!! :mad:

agreed, VM support isn't for this kind of thing and so someone calling about this should be charged imo.

Bill C
09-06-2007, 14:11
agreed, VM support isn't for this kind of thing and so someone calling about this should be charged imo.

The best bit was the

So what he wants is people to complain about his inability to fix his own problems and blame Virgin for it. Parr for the course

RickM
30-06-2007, 12:38
perhaps there is something a bit fishy going on here! I have been connecting to work via my CISCO VPN for about 12 months. All of a sudden 3 weeks ago this has stopped working. I have reinstalled the CISCO VPN and I have been able to connect through several locations, however still unable to conect via the NEW Virgin Media. I attempted this last night at a friends place who has Virgin Media and had the same problem. So i went out in search on the internet and have read a few articles with people having problems. The difficultly I face now, is that not being a techy, I am not sure where to turn.

Hugh
30-06-2007, 12:45
RickM, sorry to hear about your problem, but I logged in to a major bank's work network using CISCO VPN from home yesterday (Leeds), using VM 4MB BB, so I am not sure if the problem is with VM.

What error message do you get?

RickM
30-06-2007, 12:50
it goes through the process of Initializing, contacting and then Not Connected.... not error messages at all.

Hugh
30-06-2007, 12:53
it goes through the process of Initializing, contacting and then Not Connected.... not error messages at all.
And have you checked the VPN is operational - I had the same issue two weeks ago, and then I found out the bank's VPN was down for a day.

There are a number of possible issues, of which VM could be one; is your SecurID synced, has anyone changed the security at the other end (logins, permissions, etc), is the VPN up, has the VPN server reached it's maximum number of users logged on - have you contacted the company to see if there are any issues at their end?

RickM
30-06-2007, 12:56
okay... getting a step further.. i have just disconnected from my wireless connection and directly to the cable modem.... so, the problem lies somewhere between the communications between my laptop, the belkin wireless and the cable modem!!! aren't computers fun!

Bill C
30-06-2007, 13:11
This is the sort of problem that people phone tech support about. Even when its not VM's Fault and the fact that VM state they do not Support VPN. I have had a customer who shouted down the phone at me " you will help me fix this or i will leave and get another isp to fix it" This was after i told them 5 times in the space of 5 mins that we do NOT support customers VPN's.

Hugh
30-06-2007, 13:34
okay... getting a step further.. i have just disconnected from my wireless connection and directly to the cable modem.... so, the problem lies somewhere between the communications between my laptop, the belkin wireless and the cable modem!!! aren't computers fun!
RickM, you neglected to mention in your OP that it was connected wirelessly; otherwise, the first thing most people would have said is "try connecting with a cable"; you haven't said if you got connected to the VPN through VM with a cable - if you did get connected, your initial assumption that it was a VM issue would appear to be invalid.

RickM
30-06-2007, 13:51
sorry guys.. as i mentioned... I'm not a techy.... just trying to get some help... not yelling at anyone or wasting time on technical support.. just trying to sort out my problem.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Thanks for the comments. Belkin has helped me resolve the problem. I am now connected.

Hugh
30-06-2007, 14:06
sorry guys.. as i mentioned... I'm not a techy.... just trying to get some help... not yelling at anyone or wasting time on technical support.. just trying to sort out my problem.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Thanks for the comments. Belkin has helped me resolve the problem. I am now connected.
Glad to hear you are connected - but can you see how people sometimes get fed up when the initial assumption is that "it must be VM", when often it has nothing to do with them.

Bill C
30-06-2007, 15:08
Glad to hear you are connected - but can you see how people sometimes get fed up when the initial assumption is that "it must be VM", when often it has nothing to do with them.

There speaks a wise man :tu:

chamelion
01-07-2007, 02:32
works fine here.

Tinderstick
04-07-2007, 13:36
Just signed up to VM cable internet and altho can connect to internet CANNOT connect to work's VPN as remote user (I'm not hosting). This is despite still being able to connect with no probs via adsl line that is still running.

VM maintain they have no traffic shaping or other restrictions to prevent VPN connections but other than I get the same "we don't support VPN" line. Dynamic IPs also not a prob for our VPN.

My IT guys can't get a signal thru or out and 3 days later are still heads down on the issue, so as yet I'm unresolved. Some of these guys have cable internet thru NTL (obv now VM) at home and access their VPN's fine, but finding that new VM customers are having probs. They suggest it could be the new modems VM are handing out!? If anybody has advice or suggestions on any of this I'd obviously appreciate it.

Another thing though... I don't expect VM to "support" my VPN - my IT guys do that - but they must be savvy with the kit and set up and suggestions wouldn't hurt. They just don't want to talk about it! They're not obliged to support IE, I suppose, but they suggested ideas with me in the past. Might be shooting themselves in the foot for the future with increase in homeworkers?

tweetiepooh
04-07-2007, 15:51
Just signed up to VM cable internet and altho can connect to internet CANNOT connect to work's VPN as remote user (I'm not hosting). This is despite still being able to connect with no probs via adsl line that is still running.

VM maintain they have no traffic shaping or other restrictions to prevent VPN connections but other than I get the same "we don't support VPN" line. Dynamic IPs also not a prob for our VPN.

My IT guys can't get a signal thru or out and 3 days later are still heads down on the issue, so as yet I'm unresolved. Some of these guys have cable internet thru NTL (obv now VM) at home and access their VPN's fine, but finding that new VM customers are having probs. They suggest it could be the new modems VM are handing out!? If anybody has advice or suggestions on any of this I'd obviously appreciate it.

Another thing though... I don't expect VM to "support" my VPN - my IT guys do that - but they must be savvy with the kit and set up and suggestions wouldn't hurt. They just don't want to talk about it! They're not obliged to support IE, I suppose, but they suggested ideas with me in the past. Might be shooting themselves in the foot for the future with increase in homeworkers?

Maybe your VPN concentrator doesn't want to let you on so quickly from a different IP source? Or is locked to old IP (range).

Like others I use VPN fine and always have done both via STB and SACM (250). Problems have only occurred when the VPN server stuff has been down.

Tinderstick
04-07-2007, 16:58
... "doesn't want to let you on so quickly"... whatya mean by that???

RE locked IP: VM allocate a new IP for each session, ie dynamic IPing. But as I said my VPN can handle this part

maccap
23-10-2007, 15:31
Hello all.

I wonder if someone can help me please?

I have just read pages of your discussion about this VPN problem and appreciate that VM do not block VPN, however I have a problem with mine. I use Cisco Systems VPN Client 4.6.02.0011 on Windows XP SP2 with a brand new ntl 250 cable modem. I have never had problems with this before and in fact can go to a BT enabled location and connect fine (I'm in Nottingham). Basically I am getting 'Initialising the connection...' and then 'Not connected' with no option like normal to enter my SecurID number.

I currently have the sys admins of the VPN concentrator looking into the problem but of course they are trying to blame VM when I know this is not the problem as most of you have no problems. They can handle dynamic IPs and so on so can anyone please shed any light on this for me? None of my my settings have changed and also none of the settings at my clients end have changed. This is causing me a real headache as I am unable to support my client without my link. I have the VM BB 2MB (Medium) package. I have also read somewhere that it may be the new cable modems VM are supplying so can anyone confirm if this may be true? I had my ntl 250 modem installed last Friday 19th October.

Hopefully some of you can also now appreciate that blaming VM in a scenario like this is the obvious thing to do - i.e. it works with a BT connection but not with a VM cable connection! (apparently for me only I will add).

I'd appreciate any comments please.

Many thanks

Max

tweetiepooh
23-10-2007, 17:03
It's not the 250 as that's what I use and I can't see how something as dumb as a SACM would block VPN anyway.

Check my earlier comment on changing IP ranges too quickly. (I'm not a VPN guru). I've been told that it is possible to stop users from switching IP ranges too quicky, so if you connect OK via BT you may not be able to connect via VM within a set time period (and visa versa).

The only times I've had issues with VPN:
my fob had been locked out
my fob out of sync though this can usually be corrected automatically
VPN concentrator down
VPN authentication systems down
whole internet connection down, flashing sync light etc.

I have had issues with the firewall in the CISCO VPN Client. I turn it off, the VPN system will turn it on when VPN connection in place. This blocked all sorts of stuff including work sites when at work. Turn the Stateful firewall always on; off.

maccap
23-10-2007, 19:18
Many thanks for your help - I'm looking into other solutions now. Sadly, my client are digging their heels in saying that everything they support is working so tough basically. They have even suggested that I find a BT wireless network to connect to their network! I am taking it up with the IT Director and he will soon get them to pull their fingers out. I support a business critical system with 250 + users and without me being able to connect they are royally screwed.

Cheers for your quick response :)

Max

rikur
23-10-2007, 20:53
In the cisco client software, edit the connection properties and on the "transport" tab, check that "Enable Transparent Tunnelling" is ticked, and that IP Sec over UDP is selected.

On the pix firewall, check that the config contains:
isakmp nat-traversal 20
This allows the VPN to pass through NAT'ed connections

Not sure any of these will be the issue, but all help towards getting the cisco vpn client working on cable.

maccap
23-10-2007, 21:05
Thanks for the reply...

I have enabled transparent tunneling over UDP so this is not the issue. What do you mean about the pix firewall? I can't see any reference to this in my Cisco client? Sorry if I'm being dense - I'm a programmer so this kind of stuff goes over my head a bit!

Cheers

Max

lordy
23-10-2007, 21:24
Maybe check your MTU settings?

ping -f vpnserver

Make sure there's no fragmentation with either connection??
Also try using the same client from a different PC/Laptop/Interface.

This should help eliminate something ?

maccap
23-10-2007, 22:31
Thanks to you all for your help - I will try and get things sorted out in the morning when my client's IT department return to work. As per normal I suspect I will be the one telling them what to try out instead of the other way round :(

I'll keep you posted for those who are interested.

I really don't want to leave VM just for this reason but resolving the issue is critical so if the quickest win is for me to do so then sobeit. Just as I'm really enjoying my OnDemand TV too!! Nothing like sitting down all day Sunday watching back to back Shameless episodes!

Cheers all

Max

evilmonkey
24-10-2007, 13:08
Hello,

Thank you all very much

Sergio.

You've been fobbed off by support. They dont support VPN connections but they dont intentionally block it either. The business side isnt run much differently from the Residential other than the Business MAC addresses get priority traffic. You would need to work with your works local IT to find your resolution, do you use a router for example have you tried without? have you confirmed your VPN can work from other locations on a different ISP or via the telephone line?

ntl.wotcha
24-10-2007, 22:26
configure you VPN client to run over https. Most VPN clients should be able to do this and if your's can't, fire your IT department ;)

adamgsb
21-03-2008, 18:33
I have had a problem connecting to my work small business server, as described before connects, but hangs in password varification, timesout then give error 721, which is down to GRE protocol not being supported (allegedly acording to microsoft), I thought it might have been my belkin wirless router, so I plugged my computer diect to the cable modem powercycled the modem to get a connection again, and bingo.. it worked, so then I went back through my router, to see if there was anything I could do to fix it, but couldn't, so I plugged back direct to modem again and.... the problem was still there, I know my computer is ok because I can connect with my mobile phone as the internet connection, so there is definitly a problem that exhibits its self sometimes. anyway I'm rambling a bit so I'll try and get to the point, when I connected direct to my modem then power cycled it it caused my IP address to change because the modem see a different MAC address, so went to my router and got it to clone the pc MAC address which it did (not the pc I was trying the VPN stuff on, another one on my network), I just wanted the MAC address to change from my original router one, repowered modem...new IP address, and bingo it worked again, my guess is that wether it works depends on which router/modem thingy at Virgin you end up connecting with (maybe different age/ model), and by forcing a different IP address, you can shop aroung for a connection that works, so to speak, not sure if I could get my original IP to work, or wether if I use that IP I will always have the problem, hope this helps somebody.

Adam :o)

Sirius
21-03-2008, 18:57
:help::banghead:

I have had a problem connecting to my work small business server, as described before connects, but hangs in password varification, timesout then give error 721, which is down to GRE protocol not being supported (allegedly acording to microsoft), I thought it might have been my belkin wirless router, so I plugged my computer diect to the cable modem powercycled the modem to get a connection again, and bingo.. it worked, so then I went back through my router, to see if there was anything I could do to fix it, but couldn't, so I plugged back direct to modem again and.... the problem was still there, I know my computer is ok because I can connect with my mobile phone as the internet connection, so there is definitly a problem that exhibits its self sometimes. anyway I'm rambling a bit so I'll try and get to the point, when I connected direct to my modem then power cycled it it caused my IP address to change because the modem see a different MAC address, so went to my router and got it to clone the pc MAC address which it did (not the pc I was trying the VPN stuff on, another one on my network), I just wanted the MAC address to change from my original router one, repowered modem...new IP address, and bingo it worked again, my guess is that wether it works depends on which router/modem thingy at Virgin you end up connecting with (maybe different age/ model), and by forcing a different IP address, you can shop aroung for a connection that works, so to speak, not sure if I could get my original IP to work, or wether if I use that IP I will always have the problem, hope this helps somebody.

Adam :o)

I honestly give up.

:banghead:

I have been using a VPN for 4 years now and it has NEVER been blocked. I have never known or heard of Nynex/ Cable and wireless, Ntl ,Telewest ,Virgin Media blocking VPN

:LOL:

adamgsb
21-03-2008, 19:40
Well I can assure you that I can repeatably get blocked if I just change my MAC address back to the one I had problems with (which isn't related the the MAC of the problem computer), and thus get back my originally issued IP address (but I can still login to remote desktop on the server which would suggest my IP is not blocked by the server firewall etc), so you've had no problem..... then lucky you!, I'm not suggesting tha VM are intentionally blocking, just some conections are different than others.

MovedGoalPosts
21-03-2008, 20:16
I can connect without difficulty with my office's small business server via VPN using my Virgin Media service.

However, I did have problems but that was being created by something incompatible with the router firewall settings at the office. The connection would sometimes be made but the password would not authenticate. Changing the office ADSL modem / router from a relatively expensive Netgear to a much cheaper Linksys that properly supported VPN passthrough solved it.

Experience suggests that VPN issues are all to do with configuration of software and hardware on the client or server including antivirus and software firewalls, and that of any routers at either end.

Hugh
21-03-2008, 22:29
I have used VPN over VM (4Mb) to access 3 different employers' networks over the last 5 years, and never had a problem (using 2 different routers).

noodledoodle
31-03-2008, 20:08
hi all - first time poster, long time reader :waving: ;)

I've been testing a VPN connection (WinXP to Win2003SBS) back through to a machine at home to see if it was possible, and found that I got the infamous 721 error when connecting from a UK IP address, but connection fine and dandy when connecting from Sweden (Connecting using the same machine with the same VPN settings....)

The only difference between the two was the route the IP traffic took - UK sourced packets had an extra hop at ip 80.193.192.29 which blocks not only GRE, but ICMP too. Traffic from Sweden didn't use this hop.

Cobbydaler
31-03-2008, 20:15
hi all - first time poster, long time reader :waving: ;)

I've been testing a VPN connection (WinXP to Win2003SBS) back through to a machine at home to see if it was possible, and found that I got the infamous 721 error when connecting from a UK IP address, but connection fine and dandy when connecting from Sweden (Connecting using the same machine with the same VPN settings....)

The only difference between the two was the route the IP traffic took - UK sourced packets had an extra hop at ip 80.193.192.29 which blocks not only GRE, but ICMP too. Traffic from Sweden didn't use this hop.

Hmmm...

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2008-03-30 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.
% This is the RIPE Whois query server #2.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% Rights restricted by copyright.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/copyright.html

% Note: This output has been filtered.
% To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag

% Information related to '80.193.192.0 - 80.193.192.255'

inetnum: 80.193.192.0 - 80.193.192.255
netname: BROADBANDAUDIT
descr: BROADBAND HARR DNE
admin-c: TWIP1-RIPE
tech-c: TWIP3-RIPE
mnt-by: AS5462-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

role: Telewest Broadband IP Network Services
address: Genesis Business Park
address: Albert Drive
address: Woking
address: Surrey UK
address: GU21 5RW
e-mail: ripe@telewest.net
remarks: To report abuse:
remarks: file an online case @ http://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/
admin-c: JH15424-RIPE
tech-c: SA3620-RIPE
tech-c: SB5110-RIPE
tech-c: JH15424-RIPE
nic-hdl: TWIP1-RIPE
mnt-by: AS5462-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

indie1982
31-03-2008, 21:19
Belkin has helped me resolve the problem. I am now connected.

Would still like to know what was causing the problem, I've just found this thread and my 2p is that the belkin router needed VPN tunneling enabling?

ianm2k4
31-03-2008, 21:21
Mines fine...

noodledoodle
31-03-2008, 21:24
Hmmm...

Yes saw that on ripe - doesn't really give much away, especially as 'Broadbandaudit' as a google search* (*other search engines are available) mainly relates to spam originating from PA IP blocks owned by them...

More of a comment on weird routing by Virgin than anything else

Morden
01-04-2008, 14:25
I did have a problem with my work VPN, not the same as the original posters issue.

But it was the PC that was the problem, the registry settings had got mucked up, when I had some LAN problems. I was going to reinstall XP, but I tried a recovery from an image from 3 months previous and it then worked ok.

VPN is a tricky thing to fault find and I work in IT and even had problems as this is not an area I know indepth.

What you may need to find out is if when you try to connect you get any error codes and then check on Microsoft Technet for an explanation of the code.

(Apologies if this has been sugested as I have not read all the posts here)

;)

eth01
02-04-2008, 12:54
i don't actually use any VPN's.. but it hasn't been blocked.

paul_hadley
02-04-2008, 13:46
I use VPNs pretty often on my VM connection at home, to connect to various client sites. No problems.

Stuart
02-04-2008, 13:55
I use VPNs pretty often on my VM connection at home, to connect to various client sites. No problems.

I always used to use my VM connection to connect to the VPN at work. One day I was having problems, so I phoned NTL (as they were then). I was told that while they allowed the use of VPNs on the network, they could not support them. Essentially, "If it works, good. If it doesn't, tough".

SOSAGES
02-04-2008, 14:02
people still vpn? :)

noodledoodle
02-04-2008, 15:57
people still vpn? :)

yes - unfortunately the cat keeps catching and eating the Encrypted Carrier Pigeon Network I used to use, and Telewest stopped supporting two tin cans with a bit of string between 'em in about 1842* ;)

* not that my employers don't think that would be adequately secure

adamgsb
09-04-2008, 15:29
I have posted this before, but I can prove a problem systematically, I have a basic Belkin wireless router (no VPN settings at all), if I go to the MAC address of the said router and set a different MAC address, and only power cycle my cable modem, and thus Virgin issue me a new IP address, now this new connection may or may not work for VPN, but if it does, then if my modem and router are left the same then it will always work, but if I find ac onnection that doesn't work then it never will (from day to day different computers etc), and from working to not all I have changed is my MAC address and recycled the power on my Modem, EVERYTHIN else is the same.

jonbr
09-04-2008, 16:56
I always used to use my VM connection to connect to the VPN at work. One day I was having problems, so I phoned NTL (as they were then). I was told that while they allowed the use of VPNs on the network, they could not support them. Essentially, "If it works, good. If it doesn't, tough".

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. VM do not supply the VPN s/w or the VPN concentrators people are connecting to, so why would they support them. You wouldn't ask VM for support if your favorite website stopped working (unless it was the VM web site that is - which I find unlikely :))

rikur
11-04-2008, 14:34
just read an interesting explanation that might explain why people get problems with IPSEC VPNs via cable connections and not ADSL...

it seems the problem can be caused by fragmenting IPSec packets.

cable modems and most leased lines allow an MTU size of 1500 bytes - IPSec encryption client reduces this by 56(?), adds the encryption to create back to 1500

assuming both the client and host connections (and everything in between) support MTU of 1500 then everything works fine.

however, if the host end (i.e. the VPN concentrator) is on an ADSL line (or SDSL I suspect has the same issue) then the host end can only support an MTU of 1458. This results in the IPSec packets being fragmented in the network - which basically breaks it.

Of course, if both ends are on ADSL, then it is also fine as the IPSec gets encrypted at the lower MTU.

The IPSec protocol actually allows for the above scenario by using ICMP to negotiate the maximum MTU permisible from end-to-end - but as many people block ICMP this may fail.

I think my knowledge of networks is enough to suggest this may be plausible, but not sure if this is always the case - or whether client VPN software has clever ways of eliminating this problem.