PDA

View Full Version : Sky here i come for TV

leics poshie
07-06-2007, 12:21
Dont get me wrong Virgin have been fantastic with Broadband and Telephone so i am sticking with them for this service and thankyou for Virgin in doing this @ 2 for £20 with free calls unlimited excellent job

but the tv service needs a lot of improvement imo, i am joining sky for the tv and have negotiated a free Sky+ box as well

Thankyou Virgin you other services are awesome but Sky rules regarding television

Hugh
07-06-2007, 12:22
Well done - you are making the decision that is best for you.

leics poshie
07-06-2007, 12:28
Well done - you are making the decision that is best for you.

I know thanks i am not trying to be funny i just wish the tv service was upto the same standard as the phone and broadband and wanted to let people know that Virgin is far superior in the phone and broadband stakes

Hugh
07-06-2007, 12:29
I just commend you for the rational approach you have taken, and have done what is best for you.

Toto
07-06-2007, 12:43
All the best, isn't it great that customers have choice today.

dreko07
07-06-2007, 13:07
Im the same, I dont do brand loyalty, go with the best deal i say.:cool:

sullerm
07-06-2007, 13:11
I might well join you, like you I have had excellent phone and Broadband for many years.
I swapped from Sky to VM 11 months ago and although I havn't had any bad problems all the little niggely things really add up. I know Sky isn't perfect but I don't remember having so many bugs with it. So unless VM do something special in the next month I think I will go back.

fizgog
07-06-2007, 13:26
Dont get me wrong Virgin have been fantastic with Broadband and Telephone so i am sticking with them for this service and thankyou for Virgin in doing this @ 2 for £20 with free calls unlimited excellent job

but the tv service needs a lot of improvement imo, i am joining sky for the tv and have negotiated a free Sky+ box as well

Thankyou Virgin you other services are awesome but Sky rules regarding television

Did you get the letter through the door like I did saying free SKY+ box

Ring 08702 412 939 and quote SKY+ IAF

I must say I am very tempted

dreko07
07-06-2007, 13:30
Did you get the letter through the door like I did saying free SKY+ box

Ring 08702 412 939 and quote SKY+ IAF

I must say I am very tempted

well I paid almost £200 for mine a couple of years ago, so it is a good deal.

is it the 160 version?

fizgog
07-06-2007, 13:50
well I paid almost £200 for mine a couple of years ago, so it is a good deal.

is it the 160 version?

What's the 160 version?

It says you will save about £160 on Sky+ box and installation, is that what you mean

Hugh
07-06-2007, 13:53
160gb version, versus the earlier 80gb box

VMNick
07-06-2007, 13:53
I would switch to Sky if they didn't use the minidish. Horrible black thing! I am happy with my VM TV. But Sky needs to lower their prices for me to switch!

fizgog
07-06-2007, 13:57
160gb version, versus the earlier 80gb box

It doesn't say what model the Sky+ box is, probably be the 80gb version unless they arent made anymore.

I would switch to Sky if they didn't use the minidish. Horrible black thing! I am happy with my VM TV. But Sky needs to lower their prices for me to switch!

Is Sky's monthly TV package a lot dearer than VM's ?

dcclanuk
07-06-2007, 14:40
i am joining sky for the tv and have negotiated a free Sky+ box as well

How did u manage that??? That is what I am waiting for!!!

dreko07
07-06-2007, 14:43

I think a lot of people are getting this, SKy's attempt to squeeze a few more subs from virgin.

Take advantage of it I say, nothing like 2 companies in a feud for saving $

which I guess proves that the pay tv market is pretty competetive dispite acusations of monopolies

fizgog
07-06-2007, 15:04

Maybe you should give them a ring and quote the ref number, just pretend you had a letter ;)

dreko07
07-06-2007, 15:19
Maybe you should give them a ring and quote the ref number, just pretend you had a letter ;)

I like your style :D

leics poshie
07-06-2007, 17:38
just spoke to them and i am getting the 80gb box

dreko07
07-06-2007, 20:37

thats okay thats what I have and its perfectly good.

zing_deleted
07-06-2007, 21:16
you get a refurb box. They phoned me and offered me the same deal I got 2 months free also

fizgog
07-06-2007, 21:37

Will the box be able to handle Sky Anytime when it comes out?

Hugh
07-06-2007, 21:42
On they Sky site it says Anytime (http://anytime.sky.com/faqs/faqs_ontv.aspx#faqsection2_1http://)
We're always working hard to bring our customers the latest technology to enhance their enjoyment and experience of Sky. Sky Anytime on TV is available now to customers with a Sky HD box and to most customers with the latest Sky+ box. It will be rolled out to the remaining customers with the latest Sky+ box over the coming weeks.
The most recent Sky+ boxes have a larger hard drive in them which means they can support the latest services that we have to offer, such as Sky Anytime on TV. You can check to see if you have a recent Sky+ box by doing the following:

Press the Services button on your remote control
Press 4 - System Setup
Then press 5 - System Details.

The first 4 digits in the Version Number field will tell you what type of Sky+ box you have and you'll then be able to determine if you can receive Sky Anytime on TV. Boxes with version codes 4F21, 9F22, 4E21 and 4E30 will be able to receive this service over the coming weeks. Unfortunately those with codes 4F20, 9F23, 9F21, 9F20 & 4E20 will not.

leics poshie
08-06-2007, 10:16

Because i am a new customer i am getting either

AMSTRAD DRX-280 160GB (80GB) = PVR3 - [4F21nn]

PACE TDS470N 160GB (80GB) = PVR3 - [9F22nn]

THOMSON DSI8210 160GB (80GB) = PVR3 - [4E21nn]

Both these boxes can handle skyanytime and i am getting a brand new box just phoned to check, it is current customers who are getting offered refurb boxes

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

you get a refurb box. They phoned me and offered me the same deal I got 2 months free also

wrong;)

dreko07
08-06-2007, 16:29

its out already i think, isnt anytime just for hd boxes?

Hugh
08-06-2007, 17:19
its out already i think, isnt anytime just for hd boxes?

As in the post above -
The first 4 digits in the Version Number field will tell you what type of Sky+ box you have and you'll then be able to determine if you can receive Sky Anytime on TV. Boxes with version codes 4F21, 9F22, 4E21 and 4E30 will be able to receive this service over the coming weeks. Unfortunately those with codes 4F20, 9F23, 9F21, 9F20 & 4E20 will not.

iain_herts
08-06-2007, 21:22
sky still do the 160Hdd sky+ box but these are push items they dont get carried on any van's and u have to request it.

all new sky+ and skyHd box's will recived sky anytime (my option i think its crap)

please be aware even tho u have been promised a new box check wen the installer arrives ask him what his job sheet says as most of the jobs were booked as a grade A install (a trick that they been playing)

UnReaL
09-06-2007, 01:01

You get an "A Grade" Sky + Box, which is refurbished and very buggy, if left on for a couple of hours not doing anything in stand by mode, it freezes and you have to switch off the Box and put it on again, it takes around 6 minutes (less if your really, really lucky) to "warm up" and if its on the green light and showing any particular channel for a while, it again freezes up and requires a restart.

The recording is great, watching one channel and recording another, or recording two at the same time, but then you can only watch only one of the two channels that are being recorded (hence the change of two LNB (Sky Multiroom, to four LNB for Sky +).

The Box itself looks new, its packaged like its never been used before, until you read the small print.

I forgot to mention that the reaction time for the Sky + Box to pick up a signal from the Remote Control is off by a mile, probably because of buggy software, or maybe because its refurbished, because used boxes tend to slow down after a while.

Two Pictures of my Sky + included..

A post from a different thread, this is the deal I got:

I had a phone call from Sky today at about 1:30pm, I was given an offer of a free Sky+ box with £25 credit added to my Account.

So basically I got the following:

1. Free Sky+ box w/ £25 credit added to Account.
2. No minimum contract (so contract free, can cancel anytime and will be able to keep the Sky + box).
2. 1st month free.
3. 2nd month = £5.xx plus an added 10% discount.

I can basically pay the £5.xx for the 2nd month, cancel 30 days before next month and still keep box, paying for just the 2nd month. This is a bargain without a doubt.

Before anyone says anything, I know that you cannot record programmes without a subscription, but I have no problem with that, given that I'm only paying £5.xx for a "spare" box incase my other Multiroom box messes up on me (out of contract box).

----------

I've also remembered, has anyone received a promotional letter by Sky yesterday?

It comes in the shape a 50 pence piece, you'll see that inside it clearly says in the small print that you receive a refurbished Sky + box:

**An A Grade Sky+ box is a refurbished Sky+ box and is provided "as new". This means that the equipment has previously been used and has been refurbished by the manufacturer or its authorised agent.

leics poshie
11-06-2007, 11:32
http://sam-radford.me.uk/skyplus.htm

albertsteptoe
12-06-2007, 08:07
hello im geting a grade A box to, but i didnt ask sky if it was a 40gb or 80gb, also can you tell me if signal quality from sky+ box is better than standard box as i always had problems when it rained picture would just freeze.. are the grade A boxes PVR3 or older models.thanks for any help

Graham M
12-06-2007, 08:36
Heh Heh nice try Sky but seriously, not good enough!

albertsteptoe
12-06-2007, 09:50
im geting a grade A box installed on sunday 24th june, just want to know if there grade a boxes have better signal & picture quality than the standard set top box.

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Heh Heh nice try Sky but seriously, not good enough!

i am geting a grade A box installed on the 24thjune & wanted to know if picture & signal quality is better than standard set top box, as i had problems with standard box every time it rained. thanks for any help.

joekell
30-08-2007, 23:30
I'm not clued up on sky (vm xl user) but do you not need working bt landline for sky

Stuart
30-08-2007, 23:39
I'm not clued up on sky (vm xl user) but do you not need working bt landline for sky

For Sky, you don't need a working landline at all. For Sky Multiroom (not sure about just one Sky + or HD box) you need a working landline, but not necessarily BT, just so the box can dial out and prove you havn't given it to someone else.

joekell
30-08-2007, 23:58
thanx stuart can I use virgin line for sky

The_real_dj
31-08-2007, 00:02
yep you can use a virgin line with sky multi room, ive got HD downstairs and a sky + box in the bedroom both plugged into the line! no probs here! :) :)

joekell
31-08-2007, 00:17
thanx dj sounds just what I've been looking for I'm fed up with vm pq and other things .

leics poshie
14-11-2007, 23:14
Sky is awesome and have caught up with dream team and plenty of other programmes. Top work Sky

madrat
14-11-2007, 23:58
hello im geting a grade A box to, but i didnt ask sky if it was a 40gb or 80gb, also can you tell me if signal quality from sky+ box is better than standard box as i always had problems when it rained picture would just freeze.. are the grade A boxes PVR3 or older models.thanks for any help

Signal quality is down to a dish that isn't really up to the job, I replaced mine with a 65cm standard satellite dish and universal LNB and my signal quality rose from 60% to 100% :hyper: only thing that interferes with my signal now is an electrical storms in the path of the satellite signal :D