PDA

View Full Version : Need help to clarify a few points that VM Tech told me

Euromancer
06-06-2007, 20:15
Ok so its 3 days since the Basildon area went to 20mb/s and I have no 20mb/s connection, I do HOWEVER have the improved up stream connection of just under 750kb/s.

So I dialled 150 pressed the relevant numbers to get to broadband support. A scottish guy on the other end asks me to put my PC into safe mode with networking, using ONLY IE (I am a mozzila user) then surf to gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk and DL TWO files as the same time and tell him what the initial transfer rate is. Which basically added up to 1000 or there abouts kBs or 10mb\s. He says there is nothing wrong with that, but I should has 20mb/s I said. Oh no sir you need to pay extra for that service, what? now slightly confused your website says XL broadband members get a 20mb FREE upgrade (I am on the VIP package), I have the VIP package installed. he then explains but this is unlike any other upgrade we have done before, to which I say last time my speed was doubled for the same amount this is how you keep pace with ADSL isn't it?, how is this different?

I forget what he said next, after that he asked if I have a router to which I replied yes, which he jumps on, how many pc's on this router, 3 I answer.

Well sir you we will not get the full bandwidth since the router will allocate and "set a side" (my words not his I forget what he exactly said) a proportion of bandwidth per computer connected the PC, he then said something about sleep mode which meant nothing to me. he basically outlined it as such with one pc on the router I would receive no more that 80% of the bandwidth with two no more that 65%.

So feeling non plussed I said well if I DL a large file like Americas Army which is currently 2gig ISH I get my full bandwidth on the one pc through my router how does that work? to which he hung up. WTF

I still need to phone about my bill being wrong yet and the fact the V+box needs restarting every day otherwise is just sits there frozen as no button pressing will make it move channel start or stop recording.

Its enoughy to make you want to go to Sky

MovedGoalPosts
06-06-2007, 20:37
You committed the cardinal sin when talking to any Virgin Media Tech support, and that is to mention you have a router.

Test your connection with one PC direct to the modem. If that gives you a problem, call again, with that one PC only setup.

punky
06-06-2007, 20:50
He should be outright fired as he hasn't the faintest idea what he's talking about and is actively misleading people by talking out of his jacksie.

When you call back, i'd grass him up. He's supposed to be helping people.

LiamTG
06-06-2007, 20:59
He should be outright fired as he hasn't the faintest idea what he's talking about and is actively misleading people by talking out of his jacksie.

When you call back, i'd grass him up. He's supposed to be helping people.

I would also grass him up. He's having you on big time through either his own genuine innocent ignorance or because he's a twa*!

LTG

Euromancer
06-06-2007, 22:21
So what is my next move, phone again and just take my chances as too who picks up at the other end?

jcardiff
06-06-2007, 22:37
for every imbecile at customer services there should be someone a little more capable and hopefully you'll get someone a bit better this time, it may take a few calls unfortunately but each time start with a direct connection with router unplugged before you call

MovedGoalPosts
06-06-2007, 22:38
Irrespective of the inaccuracy of the "tech's" router stuff, Virgin Media like most ISPs will tend to blame routers whenever they can. After all they don't support them (you can use them yes, but VM don't tell you how to). Disconnect it, prove you still have a problem, and call while you have it disconnected. They can't throw in the red herring then.

mcgeezer
06-06-2007, 23:21
Irrespective of the inaccuracy of the "tech's" router stuff, Virgin Media like most ISPs will tend to blame routers whenever they can. After all they don't support them (you can use them yes, but VM don't tell you how to). Disconnect it, prove you still have a problem, and call while you have it disconnected. They can't throw in the red herring then.

The man speaks sense.

JackSon
07-06-2007, 00:56
Yes it certianly does help oneself to remove the router prior to calling up CS regarding a fault. Around 2 years ago I found myself with a problem which did in the end turn out to be the router - and I did feel a complete tit once I relaised this mid-call.
Of course this issue won't necessarily be router related but it is a big favour to yourself to get rid for diagnostic purposes and calls to tech support.