PDA

View Full Version : Unstable Connection

jpbluff
06-06-2007, 17:08
I have had an ongoing problem whilst using my Virgin Media broadband connection

I will be browsing the Internet or playing online games when my Internet connection will slow down and then disconnect. As soon as this happens I try to re launch IE this will open a blank screen and then time out. I will continue to try and connect for up to an hour and then it will work again, 10 minutes after that it will disconnect me again.

This only seems to happen from the hours of 6pm – 12am and has been getting worse as the weeks have passed. I have called various times when this has happened to be told there is no fault on the line. I have had 4 Engineers visit my house to tell me there is no problem with my Modem/PC’s. But it still happens every night without fail.

As of 06/06/07 I have put in my 1 month’s notice to cancel with Virgin Media, this is something I really don’t want to do as I have had no problems for the last 6 years that I was with Telewest but since the re-branding everything has gone kerpuff.

If anyone can advise a solution to my problem I will happily stay but what is the point in paying for an Internet connection, which cannot be used.

Have a 4mb line
Motorola Modem (lights all stay on when I get slowdown and booted)
Dual Core PC with 4Gig Ram, XP,
Have tried disabling Firewall, virus protection but no difference.
Also have another PC and laptop, which get the same problem when I try them.
Connect via Ethernet

Help please as I really don’t want the hassle of changing suppliers and getting moaned at from my daughter for cancelling the Disney channel.

JackSon
06-06-2007, 17:38
When you experience an outage, can you log into the modem's set-up page?

I guess (stress the word guess however) that if you can access the modem's config during this time, then the problem is upstream of your kit. If you can't access it however, then your modem could be dying or in need of a reboot (has it been power cycled recently?)

My old mdem (before being swapped this morning) started behaving in a similar manner. On odd occasions, becomeing a little more frequent, all internet activity would cease and no conenction would establish, yet all lights (Pwr, Enet, Sync & Rdy) would all stay fully lit on the front of the modem. I could not log into the modem using http://192.168.100.1 during these periods, the browser just fed back a timeout message. This outage would last 15-20 minutes till conenctivity all of a sudden restored itself. Not had any of the like witht he new modem. It has only been half a day of course but it appears to be more stable.

jpbluff
06-06-2007, 18:46
Yep can still enter the modem's setup page when my connection is down, also on the 3rd engineer visit they changed my modem to a new one but same problem