PDA

View Full Version : Luton area - taking upto a minute to open a webpage!

Steve007
05-06-2007, 22:47
Anyone else in the Luton area suffering this evening? This is absolutely woeful!

20 meg my a-r-s-e :mad:

Agent47
05-06-2007, 22:53
Welcome to Virgin Media

Rik
05-06-2007, 23:40
Anyone else in the Luton area suffering this evening? This is absolutely woeful!

20 meg my a-r-s-e :mad:

It is 20MB believe me, im on the Luton network and downloading now at 2.33MB/s via Newsgroups :)

Thats the good news, the bad news is that Web Browsing (HTTP) is a bit rubbish at the moment and has been since the 20MB upgrade.

Go to internet connections and enter this proxy and report back if it helps with your web browsing speeds

lutn-cache-12.server.ntli.net on port 8080

They are a bit flaky at moment the proxies and no doubt VM will ditch them all together, but they are working at the moment.

One thing that is VERY annoying at moment is if I dont specify a proxy in my connection settings, i NEVER get faster than 6MB speeds, something not right there, but if I use the above proxy my speeds are more or less full speed.

Whats that all about?

Please see attachments.

The first pic when specifying Luton 12 Proxy and the second when not explicitly entering one in IE Connection settings.

If VM do turn of the Luton Proxies, its gonna have to be a call to Tech Support.
Can a techy tell me why I NEVER get faster than 6MB via HTTP when not using a Proxy server please (its capped somehow and no its nothing to do with STM as using proxy is fine)? I thought things were meant to be better when not using a proxy?

Apart from this blip the 20MB is wicked :D

arcamalpha2004
05-06-2007, 23:43
Not only in Luton, pathetic speed here just outside warrington.

Steve007
06-06-2007, 00:10
Thank Rik, it's a tad quicker but still very, very poor.

I don't understand how VM are getting away with this. When a person (in this case me) buys a product (in this case internet access) I should get what I pay for.

Vauxhall couldn't get away with selling me a car that was missing a few components that were necessary to make it go so why do ISP's (particularly NTL/VM) get away with taking the p-i-s-s out of it's customers?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/06/92.png

punky
06-06-2007, 09:35
Thank Rik, it's a tad quicker but still very, very poor.

I don't understand how VM are getting away with this. When a person (in this case me) buys a product (in this case internet access) I should get what I pay for.

Vauxhall couldn't get away with selling me a car that was missing a few components that were necessary to make it go so why do ISP's (particularly NTL/VM) get away with taking the p-i-s-s out of it's customers?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/06/92.png

That is dreadful. Your ping should be less than 40 as well, so that's way too high.

The only thing you can do is to strip your connection down to the basics. Remove the router, all firewalls, and try with a linux live cd. If its still bad then the only thing you can do is keep calling up CS.

Chrysalis
06-06-2007, 12:01
I thought VM were ditching the proxies, using them for a 20meg service is probably way beyond what they were designed for.

applez
06-06-2007, 13:20
Alright steve,

Also in the luton area, LU2 on 10mb.

My connection this week has been noticeably worse than usual - Whenever I've got torrents active my webpages wont work for a good 10 mins whilst I wait for them to settle - this has always been an issue but its exceptionally bad this week.

I had issues this time last year roughly and they said there was an problem in the luton area - when I checked the status page it wasn't listed, I was under the impression they were fobbing me off, lots of calls later they explained it wasn't on their outages page because it wasn't affecting enough customers.

In all fairness though it was solved within a week - fingers crossed this is a similar situation.

Rik
06-06-2007, 15:15
I thought VM were ditching the proxies, using them for a 20meg service is probably way beyond what they were designed for.

They arent used normally, if I dont specify one in connection settings, and I click on the connection tab at the top of this page it tells me im not using a proxy which is correct.

I only get a MAX of 6MB when using http tho :(
I have to explicity set a proxy in IE and any browser to get a decent speed 15MB+

My query is why is this the case?

Proxies being removed is meant to make my connection faster, not slower.

Somethings not right somewhere.

rmwebs
06-06-2007, 16:55
I'm in st albans (We run via the luton exchange) and have been having extreamly poor service all week, very slow....seems almost like 56k.

I'm not even going to bother phoning up as I get put through to some crappy Indian tech support who cant speak english and use poor quality VO-IP.

Very ****ed off customer here.

Currently I'm on 4mbps and am getting a max upload of 80kbps and download of 38kbps :mad:

VMNick
06-06-2007, 17:36
Check Virgin Media status and their is a problem.

englishpaul
06-06-2007, 18:52
Check Virgin Media status and their is a problem.

There is?

Couldn't see anything on the Service Status page (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/).

:confused:

gulf4uk
06-06-2007, 19:36
HI

Am in Farnborough and for nights now www browsing has been terrible Some sites taking for ever to open some Have not worked for days . Ask Virgin They havnt a clue nothing Wrong . I only Have 2MEGS not that i get close to that ever and i just use for general web browsing and EMAIL no downloads other than When updating System . Surely i am not Capped am i ? after 1700 might as well just read the mail at times

Rik
06-06-2007, 20:26
There is?

Couldn't see anything on the Service Status page (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/).

:confused:

Luton is mentioned for today, and Hemel Hempstead has 2 entries over the next few days, not sure if thats good or bad? lol.

englishpaul
06-06-2007, 20:30
Luton is mentioned for today, and Hemel Hempstead has 2 entries over the next few days, not sure if thats good or bad? lol.

I read that as included in the working period of 00:00 - 06:00.
It also mentioned brief loss of service not 'running woefully slow'

Chrysalis
06-06-2007, 23:47
They arent used normally, if I dont specify one in connection settings, and I click on the connection tab at the top of this page it tells me im not using a proxy which is correct.

I only get a MAX of 6MB when using http tho :(
I have to explicity set a proxy in IE and any browser to get a decent speed 15MB+

My query is why is this the case?

Proxies being removed is meant to make my connection faster, not slower.

Somethings not right somewhere.

The reason is probably your tcp window size then.

Proxies are closer to you then just about every website so lower latency, tcp window value limits you to a max speed at a certian latency as latency decreases speed possible goes down. To resolve this one increases their tcp window size allowing higher speeds over higher latency. Checkout speedguide.net.