joglynne
04-06-2007, 02:28
Oh the old ones are the best :LOL:

homealone
04-06-2007, 02:44
No, it's just glucose (sugar). http://www.lucozade.com/energy/facts.html

hi is lucozade really healthy for u?

But something that tastes that bad has got to be good for you surely. :D

no, definitely not - for example, one way of making dextrose is to soak maize for 2 or 3 days in a weak solution of sulphurous acid, then grind the maize and extract the starch using high speed centrifuges.

The resulting starch slurry is then 'cooked' & treated with enzymes to produce a glucose solution - which is crystallised to produce 'dextrose' powder. (details not necessary ;) )

- is that 'healthy', no - is it 'bad' - no, either, imo ;)

ikthius
04-06-2007, 08:48
wow,

i just had a look at the lucozade site, and I must admit, I thought it was fine.

I think I will try steer clear of it now.

ik

Russ
04-06-2007, 09:05
What are you hoping to use it for? If it's a training aid, scroll down halfway to find how to knock up a homemade version here (http://www.suebaic.org.uk/sbwhatsnew.php).

wwe
05-06-2007, 16:51
how much are u ment to drink of it in a day and which flavor the best?

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

how much are u ment to drink of it in a day and which flavor the best?

i think original is the best

Nidge
05-06-2007, 19:46
hi is lucozade really healthy for u?

Why don't you make your own it's cheaper and they are better for you? Here's the recipe.

Hypotonic
20-40 gr sucrose
1 litre of warm water
1-1.5 grms of salt (optional)
Sugar free/low calorie squash for flavouring (otional)

Isotonic
40-80grms sucrose
1 litre warm water
1-1.5grms salt (optional)
Sugar free squash for flavouring

Give them a whirl I always make my own sports drinks.

wwe
06-06-2007, 00:34
Why don't you make your own it's cheaper and they are better for you? Here's the recipe.

Hypotonic
20-40 gr sucrose
1 litre of warm water
1-1.5 grms of salt (optional)
Sugar free/low calorie squash for flavouring (otional)

Isotonic
40-80grms sucrose
1 litre warm water
1-1.5grms salt (optional)
Sugar free squash for flavouring

Give them a whirl I always make my own sports drinks.

are they healthy for u

multiskilled
06-06-2007, 00:41
No more than Lucozade, but at least you would save money.

wwe
06-06-2007, 00:45
No more than Lucozade, but at least you would save money.

save money u got 2 be joking lucozade would be cheeper

multiskilled
06-06-2007, 01:25
save money u got 2 be joking lucozade would be cheeper

Not according to Nidge.
Unless you mean lucozade is Going for a (bird) song

Shaun
06-06-2007, 01:58
no, definitely not - for example, one way of making dextrose is to soak maize for 2 or 3 days in a weak solution of sulphurous acid, then grind the maize and extract the starch using high speed centrifuges.

The resulting starch slurry is then 'cooked' & treated with enzymes to produce a glucose solution - which is crystallised to produce 'dextrose' powder. (details not necessary ;) )

:tu:

Your body doesn't know how you got the glucose to it.

There are far worse things that go into food imo :)

---------- Post added at 00:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:55 ----------

are they healthy for u

By healthy what do you mean?

Are you thinking of their isotonic properties* or the fast movement of glucose into your bloodstream, balancing your salt/sugar levels after exercise or illness?

You need to know what you want to get from something to know if it's "healthy" for you. :)

*not the original AFAIK

wwe
10-06-2007, 16:55
how much lucozade are u ment 2 drink in a day or is it all right 2 drink as many as u want?

homealone
10-06-2007, 17:18
how much lucozade are u ment 2 drink in a day or is it all right 2 drink as many as u want?

I wouldn't advise drinking 'as much as you want', firstly it contains sugar as glucose which can encourage tooth decay, secondly it contains caffeine which isn't advisable to take too much of, thirdly it contains Sodium Benzoate as a preservative, which can allegedly give rise to the presence of benzene in the drink, benzene is carcinogenic, and lastly the colour used in the 'original', brand is sunset yellow, which is one of the artificial colours alleged to cause hyperactivity in children. :Yikes:

wwe
10-06-2007, 17:22
I wouldn't advise drinking 'as much as you want', firstly it contains sugar as glucose which can encourage tooth decay, secondly it contains caffeine which isn't advisable to take too much of, thirdly it contains Sodium Benzoate as a preservative, which can allegedly give rise to the presence of benzene in the drink, benzene is carcinogenic, and lastly the colour used in the 'original', brand is sunset yellow, which is one of the artificial colours alleged to cause hyperactivity in children. :Yikes:

how many of the 380ml bottle would u advise to drink

homealone
10-06-2007, 17:30
how many of the 380ml bottle would u advise to drink

well to be honest I wouldn't advise drinking stuff like Lucozade, at all, in my opinion - there is actually more sugar in orange juice, but none of the additives. If you want caffeine, drink tea :)

You still have to be wary of the affect of sugar & acid on your teeth, but I'd, personally, prefer orange juice to Lucozade any day

NoKnowledge
10-06-2007, 17:54
I'm sure I read somewhere one or two a week at the most and it's not a replacement for drinking water. It also apparantly helps you if you are unwell.

wwe
30-08-2007, 19:58
I'm sure I read somewhere one or two a week at the most and it's not a replacement for drinking water. It also apparantly helps you if you are unwell.

how does lucozade help u if ur not well?

Nidge
30-08-2007, 21:47
how does lucozade help u if ur not well?

It doesn't help you get better it's the glucose that gives you a liitle kick, if you use it when excersising beware of the come down when the glucose is used up.

homealone
30-08-2007, 22:59
It doesn't help you get better it's the glucose that gives you a liitle kick, if you use it when excersising beware of the come down when the glucose is used up.

I believe the idea is that Lucozade helps maintain blood glucose levels in people finding it difficult to eat solid food - whether that 'helps you get better ' is debatable ;)

As I've already said, the additives, especially the yellow colour in the 'original' and the sodium benzoate in the rest, give me more cause for concern :erm:

Delta Whiskey
30-08-2007, 23:05
Your better off drinking water, most of us are permanently dehydrated, you should drink two liter's of water every day.

Stuart
30-08-2007, 23:20
wwe, one thing you have to remember when considering what to drink as a "health" drink is that all these drinks attempt to manage the amounts of various chemicals in your body. However, assuming it is healthy (or at least not ill), and assuming you have an OK diet and plenty of water, your body is actually quite good at managing it's own chemical levels with little or no assistance from "health" drinks.

I remember reading an article years ago where they did some testing of the various Isotonic sports drinks. They took several people, all of whom had a similar level of fitness. Gave one water, and the others the various brands of health drinks (including Lucozade).

They tested the levels of various chemicals, asked the people to go for a work out, then performed the same tests again.

Who came out healthiest? The guy who drank the water.

Theodoric
04-09-2007, 18:04

Glucose produced by this method is no different and no less healthy than glucose produced in your digestive system from sucrose. And dextrose is just an alternative name for glucose.

wwe
06-09-2007, 17:27
i got a question if u drink to much lucozade does it make u tyied?

SMHarman
06-09-2007, 17:33
Your better off drinking water, most of us are permanently dehydrated, you should drink two liter's of water every day.
You need to drink about a liter. The other liter should come from the considerable water content in just about every food item (meat, carbs, vegetables etc).

LSainsbury
08-09-2007, 23:59

Yes. Night Night. :rolleyes:

homealone
09-09-2007, 01:14

drinking the 'original' Lucozade means you are taking 'sunset yellow' and 'sodium benzoate' as additives along with the glucose - I'd recommend plain water as a drink, tbh ;)

wwe
09-09-2007, 22:07
i drink a lot of water every day but i do drink lucozade as well sometimes how much lucozade should u drink in a day i only drink 1 bottel and about 3 bottels a week

homealone
09-09-2007, 22:46
i drink a lot of water every day but i do drink lucozade as well sometimes how much lucozade should u drink in a day i only drink 1 bottel and about 3 bottels a week

If you do that because you like it, I can't see it will do any great harm, at those levels

- although I wonder if the FSA read this forum

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6979976.stm

- both E110 & E211 mentioned ;) :angel:

- just don't drink Lucozade because you think it 'does you good', it is no better at that than a cup of tea with no milk & a few sugars, and may be worse ;)

wwe
09-09-2007, 22:52
If you do that because you like it, I can't see it will do any great harm, at those levels

- although I wonder if the FSA read this forum

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6979976.stm

- both E110 & E211 mentioned ;) :angel:

- just don't drink Lucozade because you think it 'does you good', it is no better at that than a cup of tea with no milk & a few sugars, and may be worse ;)

i drink it couse i like it not becouse its does gd for u does it do any harm 2 u?

homealone
10-09-2007, 00:00
i drink it couse i like it not becouse its does gd for u does it do any harm 2 u?

looks like it causes txt spk, which is never good ;)

LSainsbury
10-09-2007, 09:21
Please drop the txt speak!!

One or two bottles won't do any harm, but just be wary of the sugar content (as already mentioned).

Why not drink squash (sugar free type) instead?

Taf
10-09-2007, 12:20
Too much sugar (carbs in any form) making you feel tired?

Ask your GP for a diabetes check....