PDA

View Full Version : Xbox live dropping out

pittuck
03-06-2007, 15:47
Hi, recently I have been having problems with xbox live dropping out in the middle of games. Its not a total drop out, but enough to kick me off games and to eventually sign out of live.

Our setup is as follows:

modem (250 'ntl') -> belkin / unamed router -> high speed switch (using cat5 cable) -> high speed switch (using cat5)

The trouble started just after virgin took over, we previously had problems with NAT being strict but that as a problem with the belkin router and was solved by turning upnp off and on again, and has been completly solved by putting a different router in (un-named but seems to handle our network better).

Friday we had a bit of a lan party so moved our 360's into the living room and plugged it stright into the router, but the problem persists.

We are assuming that this is a problem with virgin media, either the cable modem or the actual service we are receiving. We are on the 10mbit package (very soon to be upgraded to 20mbit).

We have ruled out as much of our hardware as possible, and the error occurs on all the consoles we have tried.

One weird thing was that when we were playing together there were some occasions when only one of us were kicked off, although most of the time we were kicked simultaneously.

[wow this is a long post]

Does anyone have any idea what we can do to remedy this? It is getting annoying as you get penalised for leaving games in halo 3 beta (:p)

Thank you,

- Martyn (Reading)

mcgeezer
03-06-2007, 16:29
I occasionally have to log in to work using Citrix web client - it was dropping out all the time and problem was defintely the client end.

I finally resolved the problem by setting the MTU to 576 from 1500.

576 is a very low number for MTU - its the setting that would be used if you were using dial up networking so you *will* see a degrade in performance as the packets being sent are more granular - but the offset is that stability will increase dramatically.

You'll need to set this on your router.

Hope this helps.

pittuck
04-06-2007, 02:26
Did not seem to help, anyone else have any ideas?

I am waiting for a parcel tomorrow, so might lug my equipment downstais and have a go with it directly attached to the modem (although housemates might complain).

- Martyn

CraigT
04-06-2007, 08:31
I had a similar issue but it was my laptop that dropped its connection everytime i switched my xbox 360 on and sometimes when i had my laptop on the 360 would drop its connection.

In the end I purchased a new router and that fixed the issue

pittuck
06-06-2007, 02:29
ok well router #3 seems to work, help we are a house of students and have random networking equipment hanging around.

Anyhow, Belkin are crap, so is Safecom (No sh*t sherlock). Netgear are ok (just a shame that it looks like something apple made :bsmack:)

mmmm, games.

- Martyn

Uncle Peter
07-06-2007, 00:26
Are you trying to connect multiple consoles to Xbox live via one VM connection?

pittuck
07-06-2007, 01:47
Yeah, works perfectly now. Three consoles + 6 computers, a laptop and a server, all is well now :D

Uncle Peter
07-06-2007, 08:56
Yeah, works perfectly now. Three consoles + 6 computers, a laptop and a server, all is well now :D

Interesting to know as I will soon be chucking another 360 in the lounge. I would have thought this may cause random problems even using uPNP but if it's working then that's all good :tu: