PDA

View Full Version : Signal Levels & Connection Issues

Down the Pub
02-06-2007, 11:27
when i moved into my new house back in march my connection was rock solid and never dropped under 9-9.5meg, but over the last few weeks i've been having connection issues. at least twice a week for no reason i lose connection and this will last for several hours mainly in the evening and a few times in the morning.

when it first happened ts in india said that there was no problem with the network or the modem but would book an engineer, now it settled down and behaved so cancelled the engie as i couldn't be there (but he still turned up and virgin still tried to charge me the call out...but thats another story).

now since then i've been looking at the power levels of the modem and the upstream levels look as they have been creeping up and is now at 61dbmv, the downstream levels haven't changed at -3.8dbmv and this is the first thing that the ts lad over here that i spoke to lastnight noticed (you guesed it had connection problems again). so engineer booked for monday, so will have to take the day off as don't want the wife to get fobbed off with some blah blah.

so question is what could be causing my power levels to rise and is this likely to be the sole cause of my connection issues? i'm getting a little pee'd of with it right now as i need connection as most of my work shedules and instructions come via e-mail and i have to send stuff back, and with this problem and the price increase it becomes frustrating

monkey2468
02-06-2007, 11:33
61dbmv is too high, call for an engineer. Its probably caused by a network issue or simply need your levels changing.

simon8298
02-06-2007, 11:35
(but he still turned up and virgin still tried to charge me the call out...but that's another story).

:Yikes: they charge you for a call out?? or is that just cos u missed the appointment?? i have an engineer coming out on Tuesday cos my cable been crap since the 20mb upgrades

Down the Pub
02-06-2007, 11:41
(but he still turned up and virgin still tried to charge me the call out...but that's another story).

:Yikes: they charge you for a call out?? or is that just cos u missed the appointment?? i have an engineer coming out on Tuesday cos my cable been crap since the 20mb upgrades

nope, i cancelled the call out 2 days before as i couldn't be there but they still turned up. for a media company the commnucation wasn't working that day.

simon8298
02-06-2007, 11:56
ha ha.. yeah right!! for a "so called media communications company" that is pretty pi55 poor!
i would be on the phone to them m8 giving them ****... it is all in the art communication... and blagging... tell em you gonna go and get a sky package if you don't get the issue resolved asap (as sky would not do that to you ;) )
simon
good luck