PDA

View Full Version : Accidents on the motorway

Hom3r
31-05-2007, 21:39
I had the misfortune to be stuck on the M11 southbound for two hours tonight I left wotk at 5:30 and am normally on the M11 at stansted within 5 mins.

The journey to the Harlow turn off takes about 10 mins, but 5.5 miles from my turning complete crawl, the sign were flashing 40 I could barely hit 5mph.

I gave up counting after 20 the number of cars driving down the hard shoulder at speed.

I nearly ruined my seat as I was busting to go to the loo

Where were the cops (proberly with there heads up there backside in the station)

At the harlow turn off the were stopping traffic joining the M11 southbound. Why didn't they stop traffic at Stansted.

Why does it take so blooming long to clear up accidents on the motorway? On the german Autobahn it takes around 30 mins and the traffic is running smoothly.

AntiSilence
31-05-2007, 21:50
Can't say I have too many traffic problems, it only takes me about 16 minutes to cycle to and from work :D

Hom3r
31-05-2007, 21:52
Unfortunately biking is not an option

Wicked_and_Crazy
31-05-2007, 21:57
Can't say I have too many traffic problems, it only takes me about 16 minutes to cycle to and from work :D

10 Mins on foot for me ;)

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

Why does it take so blooming long to clear up accidents on the motorway? On the german Autobahn it takes around 30 mins and the traffic is running smoothly.

Funnel effect

AntiSilence
31-05-2007, 21:58
Unfortunately biking is not an option

Well, you probably live a bit further away from work than I do. I live about 3.2 miles away so cycling is a good option (that and I can't drive anyway lol).

Osem
These give an insight.

http://www.kent.police.uk/About%20Kent%20Police/Policy/pdfs/p02_guidanceonpolicing%20motorways.pdf

http://www.worcestershirehealth.nhs.uk/Intranet2_Library/Policies_and_Procedures/OCT2005/Motorway%20Procedures.pdf

AntiSilence
10 Mins on foot for me ;)

About 50 mins on foot for me :shocked:

homealone
31-05-2007, 22:17
20 to 25 minutes by bike - how much are the police in Germany trusted to use their judgement, rather than the 'accountability' imposed on our public servants, today, in England??

-I'm not saying the police should not be accountable, just that we may be guilty of measuring too much ;)

Chris W
31-05-2007, 22:59
Cycling isn't an option for me... one of the problems with working on a motorway ;)

7 minute drive in the morning :)

Accidents cause mayhem at work though... no customer at all while the accident is being cleared, then bang, everyone who was stuck in the queue comes in... fun fun fun!

joglynne
31-05-2007, 23:36
30seconds. Kitchen to studio:D

Maggy
01-06-2007, 00:08
30seconds. Kitchen to studio:D

Nice if you can get it...However fitting 5 different classes of around 30 students per class in my front room would be a severe trial on my house.;)

joglynne
01-06-2007, 00:18
Before I jacked my old job in to work for myself I used to drive to work each day. Manchester to Birmingham one day and Preston the next. With maybe London, Glasgow and Liverpool thrown in for variety. Loved the job, detested the driving. Now I work at home and it's bliss.:D

danielf
01-06-2007, 00:33
~40 minutes for me. Cycle ride to train station, spend 20 minutes on train, cycle to work from station, plus some waiting time for the train. Luckily I can work from home if I want to, so I only usually go in to work 3 or 4 days a week.

Uncle Peter
01-06-2007, 10:08
I do about 25K business miles per year travelling to various client sites around the country and it's now come to the point where I'm planning every journey to allow for at least 90 mins of delays. It seems that an increasing number of these accidents are being caused by foreign HGV vehicles with LHD.

superbiatch
01-06-2007, 10:14
I managed to be about an hour late this morning due to roadworks - i do a 30 mile trip (each way) along the infamous A580 East Lancs Road which links Liverpool to Manchester, to work and back and i hate it :(

Hence me looking for a new (better paid!) job ;)

Nugget
01-06-2007, 11:25
35 minute drive for me normally, Unfortunately, having to cope with the A180 (the only feasible route back into Grimsby) means that, if there's an accident severe enough to close the road, all of the traffic has to go down the A18 which, last time, resulted in my 35 minute journey taking 3½ hours...

Nothing you can do about it, but it doesn't stop me from moaning about it when I get home ;)

Xaccers
01-06-2007, 11:30
35 minute drive for me normally, Unfortunately, having to cope with the A180 (the only feasible route back into Grimsby) means that, if there's an accident severe enough to close the road, all of the traffic has to go down the A18 which, last time, resulted in my 35 minute journey taking 3½ hours...

Nothing you can do about it, but it doesn't stop me from moaning about it when I get home ;)

That'll teach you for living near Minginham ;)

Graham M
01-06-2007, 12:09
I have to drive for about 30-45 minutes to get near a Motorway :)

Nugget
01-06-2007, 12:32
That'll teach you for living near Minginham ;)

Hmmm, good point well made :D

Having said that, it's all right now 'cos you don't live there anymore ;)

Derek
01-06-2007, 14:44
Where were the cops (proberly with there heads up there backside in the station)

Close. More likely stuck back at the station and unable to get their heads near their backsides for photocopiers, internal envelopes and several kilos of forms and paperwork ;)

Pass. At a rough guess I'd suggest if a serious injury / fatality was involved the scene is treated near enough the same as a murder scene and can't just be brushed off to the side of the carriageway.

Xaccers
01-06-2007, 14:51
Pass. At a rough guess I'd suggest if a serious injury / fatality was involved the scene is treated near enough the same as a murder scene and can't just be brushed off to the side of the carriageway.

Which may shed some light on where the cops were; dealing with the accident scene perhaps?