PDA

View Full Version : Shareaza and NTL:250 and VM

tonyb66
30-05-2007, 18:59
When I got my V+ box I got a new SACM (NTL:250) as is the norm, but since then Shareaza (P2P) has not worked, get message " behind firewall or NAT router". I googled and looked through the forums and was just wondering if VM are just not letting Shareaza stuff through no matter what I do to try and fix it, which I still haven't figured out :dozey:

Bill C
30-05-2007, 19:03
When I got my V+ box I got a new SACM (NTL:250) as is the norm, but since then Shareaza (P2P) has not worked, get message " behind firewall or NAT router". I googled and looked through the forums and was just wondering if VM are just not letting Shareaza stuff through no matter what I do to try and fix it, which I still haven't figured out :dozey:

Are you using a router. if your not have you checked your firewall. VM do not block p2p ports.

Mick Fisher
30-05-2007, 19:06
If you are using a router you need to forward your ports.

Otherwise you need to give permissions for your client to whatever firewall you are using. Can only think that changing to a new modem has got your firewall confused and it thinks Shareaza is a new application or something.

danielf
30-05-2007, 19:09
If you are using a router you need to forward your ports.

Some info here:

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

Virgin Media
30-05-2007, 19:59
Certainly a port issue...

But more importantly... don't use Shareaza! Even LimeWire is just as crap. When using the Gnutella network a clean, crakced BearShare has always been the best.

budwieser
30-05-2007, 20:31
Certainly a port issue...

But more importantly... don't use Shareaza! Even LimeWire is just as crap. When using the Gnutella network a clean, crakced BearShare has always been the best.
Thoroughly agree with you mate, Been using it for 6 years now, always the paid for version until they bought out ver 6.0.:mad:
A cracked version of Bearshare Pro 5.2.6.0 is what the O.P needs.;)

tonyb66
30-05-2007, 20:53
Not using a router just the NTL:250, am using Zonealarm free version and got Access and Server set to allow for Shareaza, have changed port settings in Shareaza a few times and still no joy. Someone in work mentioned static IP address and VM don't give them out for free so I may be stuck. I've got lots of files and partial files waiting to be "legally" downloaded so don't want to start all over again with a new client if possible

Virgin Media
30-05-2007, 21:32
I would try and disable ZoneAlarm and see what happens, firstly.

If nothing happens I really can't see it being Virgin. Other than a clean of your system with CCleaner and SpySeeper I can only recommend using another Gnutella client.

hokkers999
31-05-2007, 00:22
Are you using a router. if your not have you checked your firewall. VM do not block p2p ports.

Which is actually impossible anyway, with most P2P programs you can configure it to use any ports you want. Even if you stick to 1025 and up still got over 63000 to play with....

MovedGoalPosts
31-05-2007, 00:43
You don't need a static IP to use P2P software. I'd strongly suspect a firewall somewhere, or you are using a specifically blocked port. Weird things can happen with software like Zone-alarm, and even the windows firewall getting activated unknowingly when your internet connection gets changed.

danielf
31-05-2007, 01:06
Thoroughly agree with you mate, Been using it for 6 years now, always the paid for version until they bought out ver 6.0.:mad:
A cracked version of Bearshare Pro 5.2.6.0 is what the O.P needs.;)

Regular BearShare 5.1.0b25 (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/open-discussion/53386-bearshare-has-been-sabotaged.html) is quite tasty, and is recommended by some of some of their former forum mods. Bearshare was/is the best Gnutella client ever imo. It's fast, has a great User Interface, and allows you to turn uploads off completely (which is good if you're a leecher like me).

englishpaul
31-05-2007, 01:09
Regular BearShare 5.1.0b25 (http://www.gnutellaforums.com/open-discussion/53386-bearshare-has-been-sabotaged.html) is quite tasty, and is recommended by some of some of their former forum mods. Bearshare was/is the best Gnutella client ever imo. It's fast, has a great User Interface, and allows you to turn uploads off completely.

Why, pray tell, would anyone want to do that?

:confused:

danielf
31-05-2007, 01:11
Why, pray tell, would anyone want to do that?

:confused:

As you won't be distributing copyrighted works?

englishpaul
31-05-2007, 01:21
As you won't be distributing copyrighted works?

But...

Downloading them is just as 'wrong'.

Theft is theft.

Regardless of whether content is legal or not, failure to share completely defeats the object of P2P, which is what my point was meant to be...

Virgin Media
31-05-2007, 11:50
BearShare 5.1.0b25 is quite tasty. It's fast, has a great User Interface, and allows you to turn uploads off completely (which is good if you're a leecher like me).

I was going to recommend the test and bearstart utility but thought he or she might be slightly novice and not bothered in what type of client he or she uses.

As for leeching... I like the way you can turn off 'partial sharing' and then when you have the file just 'unshare' it. :angel:

Theft is theft.

Regardless of whether content is legal or not, failure to share completely defeats the object of P2P, which is what my point was meant to be...

I share and I don't share. Its about when and how my upload is already being used. i.e other P2P networks! or indeed broadcasting. Shoutcast ect.

As for legality... thats entirley about popular, commercial content. If its not in the 'top 10' and if its not alreayd making the companies billions already (Which it is!) then they don't want to know.

Wod
31-05-2007, 11:56
lol! well ive been using limewire pro for 2 years and had no problem with it. Make sure your not running two firewalls and just reset the firewall your using, put it on a mode which will ask you to allow or deny access yo programs trying to access the internet. Then fire up BearShare and allow everything?

Virgin Media
31-05-2007, 12:32
Indeed, mate. Though its just 2nd best compared to BearShare.

lezwez
31-05-2007, 14:22
i have the same problem but my shareaza still conects to six networks or servers and im stil able to preform searchs im just to lazy to forward the ports

Virgin Media
31-05-2007, 14:55
im just to lazy to forward the ports

F*ck... that is lazy. :)

tonyb66
31-05-2007, 16:46
I switched off Zonealarm, started Shareaza and still got "being firewall or NAT router" message, put a diff port number in Shareaza settings and still no joy :mad:

Wod
31-05-2007, 20:45
Have you checked windows firewall?

tonyb66
31-05-2007, 21:56
Unable to open windows firewall, some sort of problem with ICS, tried to fix that today but no luck

Wod
31-05-2007, 23:27
Thinking that most things are ruled out,t hat will most probably be the problem?

lezwez
01-06-2007, 06:00
is the problem that you cant search or does it not connect? if thats not the problem i cant see any differnce weather or not you are firewalled or not you can still download

tonyb66
01-06-2007, 19:59
Shareaza will do searches it jsut won't download anything, even if I get the behind Nat router message or not. It does connect and does upload but I get no downloads at all. Always had the windowsfirewall problem for a long time and no prbs with Shareaza, jsut seemded to happened ever since I got the V+ and SACM