PDA

View Full Version : What work will need to be done?

gam3r
30-05-2007, 11:18
Hey all. Today is my install date and i am expecting the engineer to be here in the afternoon time slot.

My house is cabled, it already has a cable running to it and a little box on the inside of my house with "Cable & Wireless" written on it. This is from when we had analogue cable TV sometime back in 1997 or 1998 but it has not been used since then.

Virgin are due to install a phone line and digital TV but as there is already coaxial coming up through my front garden i was wondering what work they will need to do.

Will they need to replace the old coaxial and i am assuming they will have to pull out a new phone cable as well from the street? Is a cable repull going to be needed? Also i want another TV point upstairs as well so if i want to take the box upstairs in the evening to watch(there are 6 people in my house) i can. Will he do this for me?

Final question, on average how long should the install take from start to finish and how many engineers should i expect to show up?

Thanks.

on in an hour!
30-05-2007, 11:44
Hey all. Today is my install date and i am expecting the engineer to be here in the afternoon time slot.

My house is cabled, it already has a cable running to it and a little box on the inside of my house with "Cable & Wireless" written on it. This is from when we had analogue cable TV sometime back in 1997 or 1998 but it has not been used since then.

Virgin are due to install a phone line and digital TV but as there is already coaxial coming up through my front garden i was wondering what work they will need to do.

Will they need to replace the old coaxial and i am assuming they will have to pull out a new phone cable as well from the street? Is a cable repull going to be needed? Also i want another TV point upstairs as well so if i want to take the box upstairs in the evening to watch(there are 6 people in my house) i can. Will he do this for me?

Final question, on average how long should the install take from start to finish and how many engineers should i expect to show up?

Thanks.
here we go: 1997/98 siamese cable was being pulled to every house so your telephone cable will be coiled up somewhwere ready to use (more than likely in the external termination box on the outside of your property) so only needs to pick up from there to install telco.if you have BT at the moment with extentions,then he will need to site the VM master socket by the BT to pick up any existing wires and live them in the VM socket.officially he will not be tasked to run an extra co-ax so wont be getting paid for it from VM.should only take 1 engineer as 'pre-wired' jobs are only given to single-man crews.as for the time taken every 1 differs,but considering hes only having to run a telco cable (your co-ax already being in-situ) barring any probs,an hour should see him in and out,good luck and let us know how you go on.;)

gam3r
30-05-2007, 12:26
Hey there, thanks for the swift reply.

It's almost 1pm so i hope he is prompt because i don't want to wait all day :D..

With regards to the extra co-ax i want him to lay, there is already some going up into the second room which i want cabled to from the previous cable installed. Problem is that the extension from that is no longer there.

on in an hour!
30-05-2007, 12:33
Hey there, thanks for the swift reply.

It's almost 1pm so i hope he is prompt because i don't want to wait all day :D..

With regards to the extra co-ax i want him to lay, there is already some going up into the second room which i want cabled to from the previous cable installed. Problem is that the extension from that is no longer there.
theyll have the same source so he may only have to put a splitter on to share the feed :tu:

gam3r
30-05-2007, 18:02
Well he has come and gone. I must say he was such a friendly young lad. He said that there were shortages of engineers in london and him and a around 10 others had to be called down from leeds.

He was a nice guy, did a good tidy job and everything works!

on in an hour!
31-05-2007, 12:42
Well he has come and gone. I must say he was such a friendly young lad. He said that there were shortages of engineers in london and him and a around 10 others had to be called down from leeds.

He was a nice guy, did a good tidy job and everything works!
glad to hear it gam3r,and welcome to the wacky wonderful world that is VM!!! :D