PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Disconnections/Errors

Kurayamino
29-05-2007, 18:26
Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received
DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted

my error log is full of these. Errors over 57 a day. Basically i believe this to be causing me to get disconnected from the internet which happens at set times through out the day.

I have had the same engineer out twice and he says the modem is fine. But he would get some other guys out to check the green box. Since I have work I dont know if they have actually be when I was told and if they have they havent actually resolved the problem for me.

Now it would seem Virgin Media dont care and have no intention of fixing this problem especially since I sent the email about 2 months ago and they ignored it nor will they provide me with a reduced ammount for the poor service. I have now contacted ofcom and I am still awaiting a responce from VM on the official complaint ive made. Obviously I am willing to take this further!

Basically I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the problem.
I'm using windows XP SP2 and running the NTL 250 modem!

Just this minute got off the phone and NTL dont care at all. Basically the women cant even ring me back when someone is going to look at this. I'd advise anyone to think twice about using Virgin Media's service.:mad:

Mick Fisher
30-05-2007, 10:41
I think everyone has those kind of entries in their modem logs. I don't know if they mean much.
The TS in India are only good for reporting a fault.
Contacting VM by email is a well known Complete Waste of Time on a par with the other great Waste of space known as waiting for VM to respond to a promised call back.
If you are serious about resolving your problem you can only keep reporting it in the hope that you will eventually get an engineer out who has a clue and the will to investigate it properly. Otherwise you might think about going elsewhere for your BB.
In the meantime check all your connections particularly those to/from any splitters that might be in the line. If you have the means, temporarily bypass the splitter and see if it has any effect on your signal levels.
You could post your signal levels here for comment. Maybe they might reveal something? :tu:

Kurayamino
01-06-2007, 01:52
Downstream Receive Power Level :-3.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR :35.0 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level :38.3 dBmV

Apparently these are alot better than most people get according to the guy that came out. Although I don't believe a word he or Virgin Media say. I have a responce from them if you can call it that. I wrote a letter of complaint and informed them that I had contact Ofcom and will take the matter further. Basically it said they would get back to me within 10 days with a proper responce. Well alls I can say is they better had!