PDA

View Full Version : new disc??

spacedad28
29-05-2007, 09:31
i had to reinstall my windows xp and have lost my ntl internet connection...do i need a new installation disc to get online again(lost the origional disc)..i know my ip address from before but do not remember the subnet mask , default gateway address or DNS server address's.
many thanks

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 09:33
do you connect via ethernet? if so you should not need the cd.You are on cable and not adsl?

Stuart
29-05-2007, 09:34
You don't need to know any of that.

How do you connect to the modem? Ethernet or USB? If it's Ethernet, you don't need the disc at all. If it's USB, you only need the disc for the modem drivers.

spacedad28
29-05-2007, 09:39
i am connected via ethernet connection..what do i need to do??

Stuart
29-05-2007, 09:41
Are you connected through a router?

If so, power down both the router and Modem, then switch on the modem, wait for the lights to settle, then power up the router.

If you are connected straight from PC to modem, do the same, but substitute PC for router in the above sentence.

spacedad28
29-05-2007, 09:45
no router...just pc and modem....tried this yesterday but with no success...i lost all data i had on my c: drive yesterday as when i installed XP it didnt let me repair ..it only let me install new....Do i also set my LAN setting to auto detect connections.....

jcuk
29-05-2007, 09:46
does http://autoreg.autoregister.net not work when its a seperate machine or install?

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 ----------

yeah set your lan to auto detect

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 09:47
can you go into control panel and ensure all your drivers are installed

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 ----------

does http://autoreg.autoregister.net not work when its a seperate machine or install?

---------- Post added at 08:46 ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 ----------

yeah set your lan to auto detect

you do not need to register a modem thats registered

spacedad28
29-05-2007, 09:49
i'm in work atm on a pc....i am hoping to get all info to try resolve the prob before home time and try them all tonight.....
if all drivers arent installed...how do i get them if i cant get online??
and what drivers am i looking for??

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 09:51
well thats a conundrum. When you reinstalled xp did you just install that or did you have a driver cd also? or was it recovery using emergancy cds? Possible missing ethernet drivers

spacedad28
29-05-2007, 09:53
it was a recovery cd......

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

work have dell cds ...will the ethernet drivers be on them

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 09:53
well if it was a recovery cd then all the drivers should be installed. You will have to look see

spacedad28
29-05-2007, 09:54
can you gen me up on what the drivers are i should be looking out for...as u can guess i aint too clued up

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 09:56
Its just your network controller device. The recovery cd should have installed a ghost image of the working system rather than installing windows? but if it has not goto start settings control panel then system and device manager and look for any warning symbols. If there is on put your reocvery cd or cd marked drivers maybe? double click on faulting device and click driver and update driver and follow the wizard to search. Im edging it to be something else as by right the recovery should have loaded them all

(anyone noticed how a lot of threads I try to help in end up with loads of my posts in lol think this explains my stupidly high post count oh and I have no life ;))

spacedad28
29-05-2007, 09:59
are there set numbers for subnet masks....default gateway etc etc..

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 10:03
default gateway is 192.168.100.1 and sub net is 255.255.255.0 I think but these should all be set automatically . You should not need to add these values

spacedad28
29-05-2007, 10:07
many thanks for your help...if anyone else can add to zinglebarbs superb advice feel free to post....
i shall try solve it this evening..many thanks mate. rep given

Dai
29-05-2007, 10:20
(anyone noticed how a lot of threads I try to help in end up with loads of my posts in lol think this explains my stupidly high post count oh and I have no life ;))

Oi Zing, This IS a life. Just not a muddy, wet and windy one.

At least it better be a life as it's the only one I've got too...

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 10:22
Lol hiya matey :)

Maggy
29-05-2007, 11:10
Its just your network controller device. The recovery cd should have installed a ghost image of the working system rather than installing windows? but if it has not goto start settings control panel then system and device manager and look for any warning symbols. If there is on put your reocvery cd or cd marked drivers maybe? double click on faulting device and click driver and update driver and follow the wizard to search. Im edging it to be something else as by right the recovery should have loaded them all

:hugs:

r00t
29-05-2007, 12:10

I'd rather your high post count for helpfulness than for trolling :)
Go go high post count :tu:

on in an hour!
29-05-2007, 12:26
many thanks for your help...if anyone else can add to zinglebarbs superb advice feel free to post....
i shall try solve it this evening..many thanks mate. rep given
check these also; start,control panel,internet options,click connections tab,check its spotted to never dial a connection,then click LAN settings (further down screen),make sure all 4 boxes are unticked.
next click network connections from control panel,right click over computer icon,select properties,click once on internet protocol (TCP/IP) then click properties,make sure it is spotted to obtain IP address and DNS server automatically,there should be no No's in the boxes on this page.
finally click 'system' off the control panel,then click the hardware tab,then the device manager link,double click on network adapters from the list,then double click your enet cards link,this should then say 'this device is working properly'.thats all the checks you will need to do to make sure your p.c. is set correctly to work with your broadband.also make sure enet light is lit on modem and sync/rdy lights are lit solid also.good luck.;)

dojoman47
29-05-2007, 12:44
I had to do a complete install of XP on my sons PC, once I had done this I then had to install the drivers for the LAN connection and a host of other things from the CD that came with the PC, do you have a CD that came with the pc or not? If you do then all the necessary drivers should be on that.

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 14:02
I had to do a complete install of XP on my sons PC, once I had done this I then had to install the drivers for the LAN connection and a host of other things from the CD that came with the PC, do you have a CD that came with the pc or not? If you do then all the necessary drivers should be on that.

we have ascertained he used a recovery cd I have posted that maybe there is a cd with drivers on and ive directed the op on how to install any missing drivers from said media :)

dojoman47
29-05-2007, 14:26
Sorry, I did not realise you could do a clean install from a recovery disc, my bad...

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 14:37
well the recovery disc will either repair or format and install the original image. I hate this way as it loads old out of date drivers and bloat software and if it was my pc id use an oem copy of xp and the key on the case and not let a restore cd anywhere near my computer

tweetypie/8
29-05-2007, 17:32
Lol hiya matey :)

just keep zinging along zing :tu:

budwieser
29-05-2007, 19:58

Lol!:D

jcw00
29-05-2007, 22:18
Just set you ethernet card to DHCP, don't enter an ip address, subnet mask or router/gateway IP. Your cable modem will supply your PC with this information.

jona_b
29-05-2007, 22:42
dude take "automatically detect settings" in lan options my i-net does not work when ticked untick and it works try it

spacedad28
30-05-2007, 10:24
cheers guys..tried the advice last night and was successful after 10 mins...cheers

on in an hour!
30-05-2007, 10:26
cheers guys..tried the advice last night and was successful after 10 mins...cheers
what all of it!!!! that must have took you longer than 10 mins :D nice 1,glad we were able to help.after all thats what this site is partly about,so its proved its worth again.:tu:

zing_deleted
30-05-2007, 10:52
what all of it!!!! that must have took you longer than 10 mins :D nice 1,glad we were able to help.after all thats what this site is partly about,so its proved its worth again.:tu:

Its what the sites mainly about only its losing its way a little imo

Dai
30-05-2007, 15:27
Its what the sites mainly about only its losing its way a little imo

Still hard to beat for serious advice. Hopefully once all this speed and throttling nonsense dies down a bit it'll be easier to sort the wheat from the chaff..

zing_deleted
30-05-2007, 15:35
Yeah the support is always good here :)

Dai
31-05-2007, 10:34
Yeah the support is always good here :)

Mummy, that man's blowing his own trumpet again...

;)

zing_deleted
31-05-2007, 10:53
I meant off everyone other than me obviously ;)