PDA

View Full Version : VM emails blacklisted

jcw00
28-05-2007, 20:47
After sending a message I received the following reply:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

removed@removed.co.uk
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<removed@removed.co.uk>:
host athena.hosts.co.uk [85.233.160.20]: 550-IP 195.188.213.8 has been blocked by rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org. For more
550 info, please go to http://www.mail-abuse.com/cgi-bin/lookup?195.188.213.8

This was sending to a domain hosted with www.names.co.uk. 195.188.213.8 is smtp-out5.blueyonder.co.uk.

I don't know if messages to other domains like aol etc. are also blocked/blacklisted listed. From the log at http://www.mail-abuse.com/cgi-bin/lookup?195.188.213.8 and Virgin Media Technical Support have confirmed this has been ongoing throughout May !!!

homealone
28-05-2007, 21:30
have you tried it with smtp set to

smtp.ntlworld.com

jcw00
29-05-2007, 12:48

smtp.ntlworld.com

No, this is a problem for VM to sort out, and not the customer. There is more than one server that are being blocked.

Milliesdad
29-05-2007, 12:56
I had the same message when trying to send an email from home to work. I've not contacted vm about it yet, has anyone?

r00t
29-05-2007, 13:02
I had the same message when trying to send an email from home to work. I've not contacted vm about it yet, has anyone?

Lots of people have Milliesdad, though you can still call if you wish.
Some people have put in complaints, you can do this also, it won't resolve the problem quicker. But some people feel the need to anyway.

Milliesdad
29-05-2007, 20:08
I take it, then, that this is not a new issue. It's the first time it has happened to me as I am always sending emails to work and back as I often work from home. I've not had a problem until yesterday.

nfs6600
29-05-2007, 20:11
No, this is a problem for VM to sort out, and not the customer. There is more than one server that are being blocked.

Homealone was offerning a possible solution, I suggest that you try it.

VM like most email providers blacklist certain other email providers. This is used to assist in blocking spam. So lets have no blacklisting at all then see how much lovely spam you get. You will want VM to deal with that too no doubt :rolleyes:

JohnHorb
29-05-2007, 20:17
Homealone was offerning a possible solution, I suggest that you try it.

VM like most email providers blacklist certain other email providers. This is used to assist in blocking spam. So lets have no blacklisting at all then see how much lovely spam you get. You will want VM to deal with that too no doubt :rolleyes:

Sounds like you've misunderstood. The issue is not VM blacklisting other providers, but the fact that many of VMs (ex-telewest) smtp servers are blacklisted (and have been for some time, according to the VM newsgroups).

Milliesdad
29-05-2007, 20:19
Exactly. I can't get out!!! But I get plenty of spam.

homealone
29-05-2007, 21:24

My post was deliberately posed as a question, being ex NTL I cannot try a BY smtp server, but I was wondering if, following the merger, ex BY customers would be able to use the NTL smtp - if you don't want to try it, it is up to you :)

jcw00
29-05-2007, 21:36
My post was deliberately posed as a question, being ex NTL I cannot try a BY smtp server, but I was wondering if, following the merger, ex BY customers would be able to use the NTL smtp - if you don't want to try it, it is up to you :)

Still different networks, so the message is not sent.

Milliesdad
29-05-2007, 21:42

smtp.ntlworld.com

To satisfy all I have just tried this, and yes it does not work. Different networks. Thanks for the advice though.

Still doesn't answer my question of why this has only started to happen to me and the OP yesterday, when clearly lots of you have had this problem for a while...

Brainfish
31-05-2007, 14:29
I had to switch to Gmail to send emails to my relatives who use AOL for this exact reason. Tried contacting VM (or TW as they were back then) and got nothing back. Occasionally tried again over the 5 years that I've been with VM and eventually gave up. Gmail is now my main email. Handily it also uses pop3 to pick up my blueyonder mails :)