PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live + Shaping

Nhyrvus
28-05-2007, 10:56
Hiya...
Anybody know of a free program that will monitor data through my Dlink router, so i can see the amount of data i use while hosting R6V games on Xbox Live ??
Ideally a program that sits on my PC watching the router throughput without causing lag issues ..
any help much appreciated :D

dragon
28-05-2007, 12:14
Hiya...
Anybody know of a free program that will monitor data through my Dlink router, so i can see the amount of data i use while hosting R6V games on Xbox Live ??
Ideally a program that sits on my PC watching the router throughput without causing lag issues ..
any help much appreciated :D

if your router supports SNMP turn it on and you should be able to use PRTG to monitor the thoughput.

http://www.paessler.com/prtg

Nhyrvus
29-05-2007, 08:59
Cool ... will give it a go :)

Uncle Peter
29-05-2007, 13:22
I'm sure one of the Dlink routers I've got sat at home features resettable stats counters. If it doesn't support snmp you could at least work out your total throughput up and average it over time.

Raistlin
29-05-2007, 13:25
If you *do* turn on SNMP management within your router please be sure to change the community strings. They are probably currently set to the default (usually 'private' and 'public'), and present a fairly straightforward route of attack against your network.

dragon
29-05-2007, 13:41
If you *do* turn on SNMP management within your router please be sure to change the community strings. They are probably currently set to the default (usually 'private' and 'public'), and present a fairly straightforward route of attack against your network.

I would hope only open to the lan side meaning someone would have to be ON your network to carry out any kind of attack.

In which case someone ****ing about with the router via SNMP would be the least of your worries.

janipewter
29-05-2007, 14:27
This is a bit off topic, but did you know...you can brick Linksys WRT routers (and most likely other models) remotely without SNMP or UPNP enabled?

Raistlin
29-05-2007, 14:29
I would hope only open to the lan side meaning someone would have to be ON your network to carry out any kind of attack.

In which case someone ****ing about with the router via SNMP would be the least of your worries.

But someone can be *on* your network, without being *on* your network if you get what I mean. I don't know if that makes sense........it probably doesn't.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

This is a bit off topic, but did you know...you can brick Linksys WRT routers (and most likely other models) remotely without SNMP or UPNP enabled?

Wasn't aware of that, but like you say - this isn't the thread for that discussion :)

Uncle Peter
29-05-2007, 15:27
Be interesting to see what your findings are. I've taken some measurements with Test Drive and seen it running over 30KB/sec upstream when there are 8 players in session. If shaping kicks in on any tier that's potentially going to hurt it.

dragon
29-05-2007, 15:50
But someone can be *on* your network, without being *on* your network if you get what I mean. I don't know if that makes sense........it probably doesn't.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Wasn't aware of that, but like you say - this isn't the thread for that discussion :)

Not really becuase either they are connected or they aren't

And again if someone had either hacked into the wireless or hacked one of the PC's to gain lanside access to the router, quite frankly having them screw around with the router via SNMP would be the least of my worries, theres a simple fix for that anyway its called pull the plug out.

Nhyrvus
29-05-2007, 21:20
PRTG seems to be just wot i needed :D ... works fine, no visible lag, nice interface, etc ..the graphs it produces are nice too :D

Unfortunately, my so-called 10mb connection is now running at around a Mb, so dont look like ill be playing any games tonight .....hmmm . ..

Sidenote: Hacking the router (Dlink) isnt possible from wireless access, only wired.

dafry
31-05-2007, 10:10
PRTG seems to be just wot i needed :D ... works fine, no visible lag, nice interface, etc ..the graphs it produces are nice too :D

Unfortunately, my so-called 10mb connection is now running at around a Mb, so dont look like ill be playing any games tonight .....hmmm . ..

Sidenote: Hacking the router (Dlink) isnt possible from wireless access, only wired.

did you manage to get any results? as i am havin problems hostin r6v on my 20 meg connection

LostintheNW
31-05-2007, 10:24
I have problems all the time with my VM connection and R6 and GOW! lots of lag going on - only appears to have been an issue since they introduced the 20mb service (although its not in my area yet) and this new traffic management system which I haven't had inflicted on me yet as I don't download a million gigs of data

Nhyrvus
31-05-2007, 22:40
ill be running it to see on friday night, but yes, results show throughput, etc, just like i wanted .. . i actually used a similar program 2 yrs ago to show Blueyonder techs when i had a sudden drop in connection every few minutes . .it gave me nice graphs v. similar to the PRTG ones ..
dafry, i dropped an answer to your other thread, dude. .. and if your online friday, feel free to drop me a message on live, ill come play for a bit and see if i get lag too .. . lol. .. GT is same as this id . . ..